Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

In UK and want a Aus Sim Card

In UK and want a Aus Sim Card

Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:27 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool In UK and want a Aus Sim Card

Hi

People were asking how to get a Sim Card while still in UK for Aus on other threads.

We got Australian Vodaphone Red sim cards in UK from http://www.0044.co.uk/, came no problem and they also had some money on for when you got to Aus. Ours cost 25 quid each and if you ask for more than one at the same time you might even get following on numbers, we did.

They will even give you unlock code for your UK phone if it's not the sort that has to be done by electronic link as to make the most of any mobile you bring UK to Aus get it unlocked in UK then Vodaphone will configure for free to Aus when you get here and put the sim in in Aus.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:06 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: In UK and want a Aus Sim Card

Also Try this link :-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk

This guy is a very nice chap who sells sim cards and gps systems on ebay in a store. The cost of a vodafone Australia SIM with the $50 credit already on it is £7.95 and can just be thrown into any unlocked phone.

Used him several times and always reliable and no affiliation to myself. We arrived with the sims and phones activated them and thats that. Too easy.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:26 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

I have used this ebay seller. They are £9.99 each, and because I bought 3 (consecutive numbers) he gave me free postage.

Will definitely be using him when we go over there

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/EzyDrop
Old Nov 13th 2005, 12:15 am

Hi Angela,

Couldn't remember who you'd used - we had no problems with the ones we got from 0044 and teh ones you got from ebay worked no problems - so we can guarantee there is nothing 'dodgy' about them
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:11 am
Drifting back to earth

wavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond reputewavy_davy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Centurion
Also Try this link :-

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/experimentalist-co-uk

This guy is a very nice chap who sells sim cards and gps systems on ebay in a store. The cost of a vodafone Australia SIM with the $50 credit already on it is £7.95 and can just be thrown into any unlocked phone.

Used him several times and always reliable and no affiliation to myself. We arrived with the sims and phones activated them and thats that. Too easy.
Just bought two sim cards from him, can't believe how cheap they were. Thanks for this great link, means we'll be able to give all of our Aussie friends our number before we actually arrive in the country. Also saves the aggro of buggering about trying to find the best deals when we get there, sim cards look so expensive in Oz ...........

Cheers

Dave

Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:16 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wavy_davy
Just bought two sim cards from him, can't believe how cheap they were. Thanks for this great link, means we'll be able to give all of our Aussie friends our number before we actually arrive in the country. Also saves the aggro of buggering about trying to find the best deals when we get there, sim cards look so expensive in Oz ...........

Cheers

Dave

Glad to help. This guy also sent me a CDrom with his last Australian holiday photos on . Really nice guy.

Just remember if you got vodafone red sims to go for the $49.00 automatic top up option. It gives $250 or so or credit instead of $49. If you go for $50 you only get $50...

Oh and vodafone to vodafone is $1 per call no matter the duration. Always handy since you have 2 cards
Old Nov 13th 2005, 8:23 am

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to help. This guy also sent me a CDrom with his last Australian holiday photos on . Really nice guy.

Just remember if you got vodafone red sims to go for the $49.00 automatic top up option. It gives $250 or so or credit instead of $49. If you go for $50 you only get $50...

Oh and vodafone to vodafone is $1 per call no matter the duration. Always handy since you have 2 cards
Hi can I ask is Vodaphone the best provider to have in Aus?

P
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:50 pm

We have stuck with vodaphone and don't find them to be too much hassle - only thing here is that there seems to be about 5 million different plans. We had a straightforward orange contract in the UK but they don't seem to do that here. We joined something called a 'talker' plan (I think that's its' name) and we get free vodaphone to vodaphone calls and the other calls aren't too bad. Saying that, we aren't particularly heavy users so the maxi-cap plans might be better for you if you're going to use it loads. Wouldn't work for us as the plan is too time limited and we wouldn't get the value from it. I put $50 on mine the week after we got here and still have about $30 left after 6 weeks. If you have your house phone and mobile with the same provide - Optus/telstra you can get it al on one bill and I think that can work out cheaper as well - but saying that - we've stuck with Vodaphone as they seem to have good coverage as well
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by annqldau
We have stuck with vodaphone and don't find them to be too much hassle - only thing here is that there seems to be about 5 million different plans. We had a straightforward orange contract in the UK but they don't seem to do that here. We joined something called a 'talker' plan (I think that's its' name) and we get free vodaphone to vodaphone calls and the other calls aren't too bad. Saying that, we aren't particularly heavy users so the maxi-cap plans might be better for you if you're going to use it loads. Wouldn't work for us as the plan is too time limited and we wouldn't get the value from it. I put $50 on mine the week after we got here and still have about $30 left after 6 weeks. If you have your house phone and mobile with the same provide - Optus/telstra you can get it al on one bill and I think that can work out cheaper as well - but saying that - we've stuck with Vodaphone as they seem to have good coverage as well
Thanks and thanks for the link to the sim card
Old Nov 13th 2005, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by possoms
Hi can I ask is Vodaphone the best provider to have in Aus?

P
Basically yes from what my mates say. Coverage is better than other providers it seems. Each provider offers deals and stuff just vodafone appears to offer a lot more.

Frankly it shames the UK mobile phone rip off here. Calls are heaps cheaper and I wonder if it werent for ADSL if I would bother with a landline at all.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:00 pm

We've found it cheaper just to stay with vodaphone pay as you go for now as get heeps of options for top ups with free vodaphone to vodaphone calls and text blocks etc..

Only down side is if you ever call there help lind can take ages to answer best done at midnight... .
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:06 pm

Basically yes from what my mates say. Coverage is better than other providers it seems. Each provider offers deals and stuff just vodafone appears to offer a lot more.

Frankly it shames the UK mobile phone rip off here. Calls are heaps cheaper and I wonder if it werent for ADSL if I would bother with a landline at all.
Yes it is a rip off here, i've always been pay as you go. had same phone for years wanted to hang on and get a new one over there but its finally bit the dust. Just cant believe the price of them :scared:

Anyway I've bought a new one, could have got it free on contract but obviously dont want 12 month contract. Its very nice though
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I use Optus sim cards here.
If you use their 'Turbo' option, when you top up with $30 you get $120 credit. There's also a deal for $50 top ups as well.
You have to top up again before the month's up though if you want to carry over any unused credit. Seems a pretty good deal though. I ring England all the time, and mobiles, and have never yet used up all my $120 credit!