Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK/WA Driving licence

UK/WA Driving licence

Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK/WA Driving licence

Hi all

I've seen a few threads about geting a driving licence in WA and am a little bit confused. I currently hold a full uk driving licence without points.
Could anyone help me with these questions.

1, Do I need to retest?

2, How much does it cost? (i've seen some threads suggest about $300 dollars that seems expensive, mind you I got mine for nowt 13 yrs ago of the army)

3, Will I keep my UK licence?

Thanks for any replies

Keel
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:23 pm
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Re: UK/WA Driving licence

Originally posted by keel
Hi all

I've seen a few threads about geting a driving licence in WA and am a little bit confused. I currently hold a full uk driving licence without points.

1, Do I need to retest?

2, How much does it cost? (i've seen some threads suggest about $300 dollars that seems expensive, mind you I got mine for nowt 13 yrs ago of the army)

Thanks for any replies

Keel

Send off and get a new license, tell them that you lost your old one. When you take your Aussie theory test give them your old license which they will stamp or punch.
When you get done for hooning show your new UK license and say you are on holiday, you will only get fined, no demerit points.

Slater
Old Aug 4th 2003, 10:32 pm
Carol in Oz

Hi all

1, Do I need to retest?

Thanks for any replies

Keel

Try this site - should help
www.lets.perth.com/Transport.html

Rules etc are different in all states - we even have different DL to each other

site for NSW is www.rta.nsw.gov.au

Carol

Old Aug 4th 2003, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Cannot imagine you would loose your UK licence getting a WA one, I've a QLD liciense and a NZ one and still got my UK Licence.

Each state manages their own driving licences, and when you move states permenently you have to apply for a new licence and hand in your old one.

I think mine cost $50 for 5 years and the test was free (written only), but they have since introduced a charge in QLD guess about $50.

This assumes you have a full British Licience.
Old Aug 5th 2003, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Hi

If you tell Uk you are moving to Oz you will loose your UK one. Suggest you change your address in Uk one before you go to a relatives one as you wont be able to change it when here.

You only need to do a theory test which must be within 3 months of arriving. Cost for that and a 5 yr license is about $150. less for a 1 yr one (not worth it though).

They don't do anything to your Uk one here. You will find you are issued with a heavy duty license here (up to 8 tonne) soemthing to do with the categories on the Uk license. Bizarre cos I can hardly drive my car in a straight line never mind a great big bleedin' truck.

cheers
Diane
Old Aug 11th 2003, 12:00 am
NZ donkey

oz-nz donkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

1, Do I need to retest?

Thanks for any replies

Keel
Don't worry, the theory test is a piece of cake! One thing the guy in the test centre told us quietly was to remember that you give way to cars from the right on an unmarked road (that came in handy!) If you have a motorbike licence, you will also need to take a theory test for that.

I have to take yet another theory test as we have moved from Guernsey to Perth and now to NZ!

$150 for 5 years as per the other advice sent sounds about right.

When you go to the test centre, take evidence of where you are resident, ie rental agreement or they won't let you take the test.

Keep at least half a day free because they take their time, as you will find out, WA actually stands for Wait Awhile!

Helen