Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Old Apr 12th 2013, 2:38 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I've just cried into my cup of tea.

I have calmed down considerably on the "Stray Apostrophe Front". I used to be a militant member, forever armed with a piece of chalk and a bit of damp cloth, ready to sort out pub menu blackboards the length and breadth of the country.

Now I just sigh and shake my head.
I know what you mean. I'm a definite sigher-and-head-shaker these days.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm active on 3 forums. This one which is primarily UK people, another is mainly US and the other, Australian. BE has the poorest spelling and grammar of them all.
I have a theory that it has something to do with strong regional accents. There is some bizarre spelling on BE which I think is explained by people spelling like they talk. A particular favourite is adding r to words where there's no way there should be one. Don't want to single anyone out so not going to use some specific examples but things like 'we was thinking about emergrating'. I can almost hear an accent at that point!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
You only have to read older literature to see the decay. I am reading Jane Austen at the moment, on my wife's recommendation (you guessed it, my comprehensive never taught me anything like this), and I am astonished at the articulacy. Contemporary writing is very childish in comparison, even by respected authors.
Reading a novel written in say 1916, or 1932 can be very pleasurable and rewarding. The prose and the articulate nature of every sentence is incredible. Descriptions of people go beyond such and such was overweight, and was a bit of a character. Sentences might have been longer, even wordier, but there is also an economy of speech with each word chosen contributing to the sum of the whole......'innit?

And Jane who wrote in the 18/19c, is surprisingly more modern than you might expect. I have also been a secret 'under the bedclothes' Austen reader.

It's got to the point where just about every novel you can buy at the airport is just trash - even for someone wanting light reading.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 3:57 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Reading a novel written in say 1916, or 1932 can be very pleasurable and rewarding. The prose and the articulate nature of every sentence is incredible. Descriptions of people go beyond such and such was overweight, and was a bit of a character. Sentences might have been longer, even wordier, but there is also an economy of speech with each word chosen contributing to the sum of the whole......'innit?

And Jane who wrote in the 18/19c, is surprisingly more modern than you might expect. I have also been a secret 'under the bedclothes' Austen reader.

It's got to the point where just about every novel you can buy at the airport is just trash - even for someone wanting light reading.
Modern writing (or I should say postmodern) writing is mostly junk, especially the genre stuff. You're right about Austen being modern in its outlook, and this surprised me. I can't get anywhere with Dickens, and I even tried Balzac once but the French was too hard, but Austen is different. She can nail a character in a couple of sentences. I may well take another one of her novels on the flight when we go back to the UK this year.

If you have you ever tried to read Pynchon, for example you will see how far down the pan literature has slipped.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I have a theory that it has something to do with strong regional accents. There is some bizarre spelling on BE which I think is explained by people spelling like they talk. A particular favourite is adding r to words where there's no way there should be one. Don't want to single anyone out so not going to use some specific examples but things like 'we was thinking about emergrating'. I can almost hear an accent at that point!
I think a lot of people must only ever hear words and not see them written down. Great full, per say, pacifically and one I loved from BE, 'the escape goat'.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:26 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
..."If Sandra take's 150 mg of aspirin per day and she has a prescription for 50 100 mg tablets, how many day's will her prescription last?"
Should the calculation's take's into account's, the loss'es incurred's, when cutting's the tablet's in half?

Just asking like.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think a lot of people must only ever hear words and not see them written down. Great full, per say, pacifically and one I loved from BE, 'the escape goat'.

I remember chairing a Neighbourhood Watch committee meeting many years ago, and one chap described himself as a Devils Advocaat.

The Devil's yellow, eggy drink for making Snowballs? Really?

S
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:32 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

And then you get some of the Scotch on here who write in Scotch - now that's bizarre
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
I remember chairing a Neighbourhood Watch committee meeting many years ago, and one chap described himself as a Devils Advocaat.

The Devil's yellow, eggy drink for making Snowballs? Really?

S
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:34 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Chest of DRAWS!

SORT after! (Although that's an Aussie real estate agent speciality)

And a local one...the Mornington PENINSULAR.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

"I'm English born and bread."
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:43 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Chest of DRAWS!

Something I have also noticed to be growing is the inability of people to start a sentence without using the word 'So'. This is happening more and more at work, and I am even finding myself doing it.

I'm not sure where it cam from but pretty much in every meeting or standup, everybody starts with:

"So, what's everybody been up to this week? Dave?"

"So, I've been working on the nucleonic ferkinators project"

"So what results have you seen so far?"

"So I ran the experiments and it looks like there's a direct correlation"

"So you think it will work then..."

Etc. The 'So' is completely superfluous, and adds nothing to the conversation, beyond a pregnant pause at the beginning. I guess it's the same as Aussie politicians always starting with 'Look' when they are being interviewed.

Of course, now I have noticed it, I am starting to hear it all the time!

S
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:51 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Something I have also noticed to be growing is the inability of people to start a sentence without using the word 'So'. This is happening more and more at work, and I am even finding myself doing it.

I'm not sure where it cam from but pretty much in every meeting or standup, everybody starts with:

"So, what's everybody been up to this week? Dave?"

"So, I've been working on the nucleonic ferkinators project"

"So what results have you seen so far?"

"So I ran the experiments and it looks like there's a direct correlation"

"So you think it will work then..."

Etc. The 'So' is completely superfluous, and adds nothing to the conversation, beyond a pregnant pause at the beginning. I guess it's the same as Aussie politicians always starting with 'Look' when they are being interviewed.

Of course, now I have noticed it, I am starting to hear it all the time!

S
So, what's your point?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:52 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by Zen10
So, what's your point?

So, I don't really have a point - it's just an observation...

S
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Chest of DRAWS!

Another real estate ad for a flat in the UK - moulded ceilings. Put me right off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.