Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:53 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Originally Posted by new-leaf
At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.
Same as here then
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:05 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im intrigued by the classes of 40-50 kids to be honest. There are 20 odd in our boys classes. I cant imagine 40 or 50 in a class would be common would it?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English
Good job you are not either
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:16 am
Just Joined

new-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
Good job you are not either

This is the internet, I couldn't careless
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:17 am
Just Joined

new-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by chris955
Im intrigued by the classes of 40-50 kids to be honest. There are 20 odd in our boys classes. I cant imagine 40 or 50 in a class would be common would it?
I've just been in contact with a school not far from me this morning who have three year 4 classes of 42 children.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Did you mean 'care less' or 'careless'?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grayling
Did you mean 'care less' or 'careless'?
You choose.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

We are also asked to not strictly enforce English spelling and grammar during marking of 1st-3rd year degree students, so most of the time we end up with an essay that in my opinion is terrible English, but we can't mark them down for it.

For example I had a young girl who had just completed her 2nd year experiment. When I was marking it, she had spelled the title wrong, couldn't spell Psychology (Among others), was in a completely awful format and suggested that a flaw in her experiment was people were sat on swivel chairs and it could have distracted them during the experiment.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.

This is a University that requires 4 A's at A-Level and in the top 15 UK wide.

Again this is my observation of the past 3 years of teaching and marking.

I often write carelessly on the internet; I don't pay too much attention to structuring sentences as carefully as I might in a more formal setting. To me, though, there's a big difference between choosing to write more elegantly in a particular register and mixing up 'there' and 'their'.

I wouldn't usually pick someone up about it on an internet forum, but if you're lamenting the standard of English at your university...
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Almo
I often write carelessly on the internet; I don't pay too much attention to structuring sentences as carefully as I might in a more formal setting. To me, though, there's a big difference between choosing to write more elegantly in a particular register and mixing up 'there' and 'their'.

I wouldn't usually pick someone up about it on an internet forum, but if you're lamenting the standard of English at your university...
Christ, I had no idea this was a grammar and spelling test.

Next time I'll make sure I'm double spacing and correctly formatting my sentences.

The pedantry going on is ludicrous. Correcting peoples grammar and spelling is generally a sign that you have nothing left to contribute to a discussion.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:39 am
Bitter and twisted

Next time I'll make sure I'm double spacing and correctly formatting my sentences.

The pedantry going on is ludicrous. Correcting peoples grammar and spelling is generally a sign that you have nothing left to contribute to a discussion.
Err!.....You were the one who commented on the standard of English among students at your university......bit hypocritical of you don't you think?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

It's not a test, and as I said I wouldn't normally mention it. In fact, I've never pulled anyone up about grammar and spelling on an internet forum before. You wrote a long post about the poor standards of English at your university though, what did you expect?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:08 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I've just been in contact with a school not far from me this morning who have three year 4 classes of 42 children.
Well I have no doubt they exist, our boys were in a class of close to 50 in Brisbane, they had 2 teachers in the class but it was often chaos because of the numbers and having 2 teachers talking over eachother with the 2 groups. I much prefer the small classes.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 9:33 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Well I have no doubt they exist, our boys were in a class of close to 50 in Brisbane, they had 2 teachers in the class but it was often chaos because of the numbers and having 2 teachers talking over eachother with the 2 groups. I much prefer the small classes.
When I was at school in England it was common to have class sizes of about 35 to 40. IIRC the overall school size was about 700.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 11:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a bit sh*t to be too pedantic about spelling on an internet forum.

I would look at the overall text to gauge someone's literacy. I think it's clear that university standards are in decline.

In any case, angry people on the internet tend to have worn keyboards and space bars...
Old Apr 13th 2013, 7:09 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I think it's a bit sh*t to be too pedantic about spelling on an internet forum.

I would look at the overall text to gauge someone's literacy. I think it's clear that university standards are in decline.

In any case, angry people on the internet tend to have worn keyboards and space bars...
It is also off-putting to many posters to find their posts criticised for the way they are written rather than the content. Lots of people are just generally less literate than others - and for many this is their first contact with any kind of public/internet writing. They are looking for help, and while its one thing for us "old lags" to bicker about grammar and spelling and can make us out as rather unfriendly to the newbies.

It can be beneficial at times - some of the non-native English speakers in particular do appreciate hints on language improvement, but its probably best done in a softer way rather than as a lecture!

Then you've got all the basic reasons for bad typing - my own is being too lazy to put my glasses on when typing on the iphone! We have dodgy keyboards, sticky keys, typing in a hurry, and simply not proof-reading before posting. Its not an English exam after all, and lets be honest if the majority of us were actually writing reports etc at work then we would be producing something in a very different style and manner from that which comes up when on a social media outlet

Having said that - its clear from browsing other forums that the standard on BE overall is oretty high in comparison!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.