Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Old Apr 12th 2013, 4:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK vs Australia for childrens' futures

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
So, I don't really have a point - it's just an observation...
Surely that should of been..."Awwwwww look, yeah, no, I don't really have a point - it's just an observation..."?
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:00 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Surely that should of been..."Awwwwww look, yeah, no, I don't really have a point - it's just an observation..."?

I really wish I hadn't noticed actually - It's starting to bug me and EVERYBODY at work is doing it - or rather I am noticing it more and more...

It is interesting how language develops however - We're currently having the debate about transitioning to US spellings over AU/UK ones. We now have a larger US customer base, and they keep griping that we spell everything incorrectly...

S
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I think a lot of people must only ever hear words and not see them written down. Great full, per say, pacifically and one I loved from BE, 'the escape goat'.
Look, (so), it shows that the population does not read enough as only 'eyes on' the word itself will allow the reader to pair it up with the spoken word he or she hears.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

should of been...
AAAARGH!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:22 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Something I have also noticed to be growing is the inability of people to start a sentence without using the word 'So'. This is happening more and more at work, and I am even finding myself doing it.

I'm not sure where it cam from but pretty much in every meeting or standup, everybody starts with:

"So, what's everybody been up to this week? Dave?"

"So, I've been working on the nucleonic ferkinators project"

"So what results have you seen so far?"

"So I ran the experiments and it looks like there's a direct correlation"

"So you think it will work then..."

Etc. The 'So' is completely superfluous, and adds nothing to the conversation, beyond a pregnant pause at the beginning. I guess it's the same as Aussie politicians always starting with 'Look' when they are being interviewed.

Of course, now I have noticed it, I am starting to hear it all the time!

S
Like, totally.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:28 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

So, there was this woman, like, she was teaching us about women's roles in small business, right, and she was, like, talking like this, right, and everything was always 'off of' this and 'off of' that and I just, like, wanted to stand up and shout "FROM, you stupid woman, the word you need is FROM."

She was a southerner, what more can you expect?

I've calmed down since then.

(BC, I have a strong regional accent, someone who lived very close to me used to write in 'region text' all the time on a message board we frequented and I could never understand a word she was writing unless I said the words in my head. I have the same problem with Irving Welsh's works. Although my regional accent is very different to his )
Old Apr 12th 2013, 5:52 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

I received a message recently asking "what time are you's coming over?" and when I replied "you's?" she wrote "oops, meant youse"
Old Apr 12th 2013, 6:24 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
I received a message recently asking "what time are you's coming over?" and when I replied "you's?" she wrote "oops, meant youse"
Excellent!
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Chest of DRAWS!

SORT after! (Although that's an Aussie real estate agent speciality)

And a local one...the Mornington PENINSULAR.
My English is far from perfect, but one that really annoys me when I read it is "draws" - I've even picked it up in official documents at work and pointed out the wrong usage but people don't seem to get it, they really do believe that keeping papers in a particular "draw" is correct usage.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:06 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scubaemma
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:17 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
My English is far from perfect, but one that really annoys me when I read it is "draws" - I've even picked it up in official documents at work and pointed out the wrong usage but people don't seem to get it, they really do believe that keeping papers in a particular "draw" is correct usage.
You shouldn't panda to these people! (Another one I remember from BE!)
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:18 am
Brisbane's friendly cop

Scubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond reputeScubaemma has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:25 am
Home and Happy

Had a task handed over the other week to move the paperwork from the "draws" to the new "shelfs" overnight I responded that I couldn't find the right place but moved the "stuff that was in the drawers onto the shelves instead"
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:37 am
Just Joined

new-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nicenew-leaf is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amazulu
We're pulled up on grammar and spelling and marked on it. Some of the Asian and African students struggle with this and get marked down.
At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

We are also asked to not strictly enforce English spelling and grammar during marking of 1st-3rd year degree students, so most of the time we end up with an essay that in my opinion is terrible English, but we can't mark them down for it.

For example I had a young girl who had just completed her 2nd year experiment. When I was marking it, she had spelled the title wrong, couldn't spell Psychology (Among others), was in a completely awful format and suggested that a flaw in her experiment was people were sat on swivel chairs and it could have distracted them during the experiment.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.

This is a University that requires 4 A's at A-Level and in the top 15 UK wide.

Again this is my observation of the past 3 years of teaching and marking.

Last edited by new-leaf; Apr 12th 2013 at 7:57 am.
Old Apr 12th 2013, 7:46 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by new-leaf
At the University where I work, international students are not heavily marked on there ability to use English, if you can understand the paper, then its acceptable.

This ruling has been handed down due to the high population of international students and by 2015 they will out number native students. There was a situation in 2011, international students were constantly marked down for poor English and grammar, this translated into less international students applying for 2012 and as such the ruling was introduced.

We are also asked to not strictly enforce English spelling and grammar during marking of 1st-3rd year degree students, so most of the time we end up with an essay that in my opinion is terrible English, but we can't mark them down for it.

For example I had a young girl who had just completed her 2nd year experiment. When I was marking it, she had spelled the title wrong, couldn't spell Psychology (Among others), was in a completely awful format and suggested that a flaw in her experiment was people were sat on swivel chairs and it could have distracted them during the experiment.

Most of the students I've noticed moving up, generally suffer from pretty huge shock when they hit University level education, they have been helped and hand held so much during there previous education that when they have to do things for them selves, they really struggle and are constantly asking for "exam questions" and/or help that I can not provide them.

This is a University that requires 4 A's at A-Level and in the top 15 University's UK wide.

Again this is my observation of the past 3 years of teaching and marking.

The graduate school that I go to mainly teaches MBAs and they are keen to keep on moving up the league table as it gets them more prestige, students and therefore, money. So they have a hard on for English standards. They constantly run extra classes on academic English. I try and attend them as I find them very useful.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.