Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK TV's with inbuilt digi boxes - do they work in Oz

UK TV's with inbuilt digi boxes - do they work in Oz

Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK TV's with inbuilt digi boxes - do they work in Oz

Hopefully someone can help as when I emigrated these didn't exist but Mum's UK TV's have inbuilt digi (freeview) boxes which she is unsure whether or not to bring.

Will they work over here as they are? If they won't will she be able to buy an external Aussie digibox or will there be some conflict between the two digiboxes?
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

ozcabs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK TV's with inbuilt digi boxes - do they work in Oz

Hi there, When i moved back to the UK from Oz, we took some TV's back. We had to have some modifications done to the TV, The mod was for the sound as the picture was perfect.
Uk uses PAL-I where as Australia was PAL-N i think.
Now everywhere has switched to Digital, i cant verify things will be ok.
Way up weather its worth bringing them, I bought a brand new 40inch Samsung smart tv with a Bluray for $740.
Old Jul 7th 2013, 9:55 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spottydog
Hopefully someone can help as when I emigrated these didn't exist but Mum's UK TV's have inbuilt digi (freeview) boxes which she is unsure whether or not to bring.

Will they work over here as they are? If they won't will she be able to buy an external Aussie digibox or will there be some conflict between the two digiboxes?
Hi spottydog,

Our TV's all work - just not the freeview .

The newer ones had the option to set the area as Australia, and the older one is set to Germany to get the Autotune to scan the right frequencies and sound. But we are only using them for free-to-air and games consoles for young spark
Old Jul 7th 2013, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Join the Australian DTV forum and I'm sure you'll get some swift and helpful responses.

Edit: following words do not exist in the Australian Language:

Cash Point
Cell Phone
digibox
Yoggurt
Broccolee
Plot (for housing)
gammon

wink_smile:

"set top box" or "built in digital tuner"

Last edited by Mike at Taree; Jul 7th 2013 at 11:42 pm.