Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Teacher Looking to Move to WA

UK Teacher Looking to Move to WA

Old Sep 29th 2014, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Tomsmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Teacher Looking to Move to WA

Hi all. My in laws moved to Baldivis in 2010 and my husband and I are looking at the possibility of giving the Australian lifestyle a try as well. My question is this, we would apply based on my position as a secondary English teacher, but I have read that in some states/areas ( Queensland being an example given) there is not a huge demand for teachers, is there a demand in the Perth area? I currently work in a very good school and would hate to make the move and find myself unable to secure employment.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Teacher Looking to Move to WA

There's generally not a huge demand in the places that people actually want to live! There are teaching vacancies out in the back of beyond and they are hard to fill. If you want to live miles away from anywhere you may be in with a chance but in the nice areas? Nope. Lots of young Aussie teachers desperate for jobs!
Never quit a job you like - take a career break if you must.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

There are some teachers that can comment better then me. But on what u have read over the years, it is very difficult to get work in a metro area and you probably would need to spend several years temping. I believe odds are slightly better if you teach secondary science or maths.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

You will be pleased to know that many secondary schools in WA now have independent status which means they can hire who they like (and not just be allocated staff) The other good news is teachers with British teaching qualifications are very highly regarded. I work for the top public school in Perth and we have many British teachers and I know for a fact the Assoc Principle who does most of the hiring thinks British teachers are very well trained.