UK tax return

Old Nov 7th 2015, 10:50 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK tax return

Originally Posted by paulry
How does it work if both my wife and I have paid the full 35 qualifying years? Do we get the full pension (£115.95 per week) times two?
I've just found the answers here:

How much state pension will I get? - State pension explained - Retirement - Which? Money
Old Nov 9th 2015, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

sfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud ofsfr09 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I think I have done mine online the last 4 years via HMRC website.

Still have to do this years one, but I no longer have any income from property or anything else there. Maybe I won't need to do it.
I also have done mine online , and was going to do this years online
that is my only income in the uk rental income
I had no idea it was not allowed until I saw this !
Old Nov 10th 2015, 10:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sfr09
I also have done mine online , and was going to do this years online
that is my only income in the uk rental income
I had no idea it was not allowed until I saw this !
Well give it a go or send them and enquiry and see what they say. If you still have rental income there, you should still be able to do it online.
Old Nov 10th 2015, 6:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well give it a go or send them and enquiry and see what they say. If you still have rental income there, you should still be able to do it online.
Not sure what's difficult about this; you can't do it online. Refer to this :

https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad/overview

Quoted from there : You can’t use HMRC’s online services to tell them about your income if you’re non-resident

Can you physically submit it online? Yes you can, but only when you incorrectly answer question 8 on SA100.
Old Nov 12th 2015, 5:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by paulry
That link is correct if you retire to some countries but the problem is it doesn't tell the whole story if you retire to Oz and NZ.

See here
Your state pension if you retire abroad
So yes you will both get the full pension once you retire but it will NOT increase it will stay at the value that you initially receive.
Their has been lobbying of the gov by retires in Oz and NZ but their efforts have been ignored.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 10:25 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

See: https://www.gov.uk/tax-uk-income-live-abroad

You can’t use HMRC’s online services to tell them about your income if you’re non-resident. Instead, you need to:Fill in the ‘residence’ section (form SA109 if you’re sending it by post) to tell HMRC you’re non-resident. Fill in any sections relating to your type of income.
Best regards.
Old Nov 13th 2015, 10:28 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slackbloke
It depends on your tax status - if you are a non-UK resident for tax purposes you cannot do it online. So only temporary residents in Australia can do it online.

Temporary residents of Australia can be non-UK resident.

Consider (for example) subclass 457 visa holders who are living and working in Australia for (say) 3 or 4 years. They would most probably be non-UK resident, and would need to lodge the Residence supplement to the UK tax return if they are required to lodge a UK tax return under the Self Assessment regime.

Best regards.
Old Nov 14th 2015, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

slackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond reputeslackbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Temporary residents of Australia can be non-UK resident.

Consider (for example) subclass 457 visa holders who are living and working in Australia for (say) 3 or 4 years. They would most probably be non-UK resident, and would need to lodge the Residence supplement to the UK tax return if they are required to lodge a UK tax return under the Self Assessment regime.

Best regards.
I didn't say they couldn't so not sure what point you are making. I said ONLY temporary residents can do it online, not ALL temporary residents can do it online.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 7:16 am
Migration Agent

I didn't say they couldn't so not sure what point you are making. I said ONLY temporary residents can do it online, not ALL temporary residents can do it online.

The observation about temporary residents of Australia is irrelevant. That's the point.

The issue of the completion of the Residency supplement is driven by whether the taxpayer is non-UK resident.

Best regards.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

The observation about temporary residents of Australia is irrelevant. That's the point.

The issue of the completion of the Residency supplement is driven by whether the taxpayer is non-UK resident.

Best regards.
On your first point, it is relevant because if you are not a temporary resident you cannot do it online. The people incorrectly do it online are not temporary residents.

Your second point it just re-quoting my earlier post.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:35 am
Migration Agent

On your first point, it is relevant because if you are not a temporary resident you cannot do it online. The people incorrectly do it online are not temporary residents.

Your second point it just re-quoting my earlier post.

To repeat: a person's temporary residency status in Australia is irrelevant to the issue of lodging a Residence supplement to a UK tax return.

A person can be a permanent visa holder and still be a tax resident of the UK.

The UK residency position is determined by the UK's Statutory Residency Test.

Best regards.
Old Nov 15th 2015, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

To repeat: a person's temporary residency status in Australia is irrelevant to the issue of lodging a Residence supplement to a UK tax return.

A person can be a permanent visa holder and still be a tax resident of the UK.

The UK residency position is determined by the UK's Statutory Residency Test.

Best regards.
Indeed I agree, but the point of the post was about using the online facility to submit rental income, although as a point of order I never suggested being a temporary resident determined your UK tax residency; I said earlier It was self determined. For simplicity, I have assumed most people here do not have complex tax affairs and almost certainly all permanent residents are UK non-resident for tax purposes.
Old Nov 18th 2015, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

Quoted from there : You can’t use HMRC’s online services to tell them about your income if you’re non-resident

Can you physically submit it online? Yes you can, but only when you incorrectly answer question 8 on SA100.
Actually I answer that question correctly every year, and I've submitted it every year for the last 6 years, so far with no problems. I know I'm supposed to use commercial software to do it, but as long as I keep answering correctly and they keep taking it I'll keep on submitting online....
Old Nov 18th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TakenThePlunge
Actually I answer that question correctly every year, and I've submitted it every year for the last 6 years, so far with no problems. I know I'm supposed to use commercial software to do it, but as long as I keep answering correctly and they keep taking it I'll keep on submitting online....
Presumably you're a UK resident for tax purposes or a dual resident?
Old Jan 11th 2016, 6:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I did submit it online, like I have done for the past 5 years, and got a letter of confirmation from HMRC before Christmas that all is good and the last return I needed to submit was the one I just submitted. So even though they say or encourage you to submit paper based returns, they will still process it.

There is simply no way in this day and age that I will download, print off, fill in with ink and then post off a paper based return just because HMRC website says so.

Oh! and I didn't answer question 8 an SA100 incorrectly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Alfresco; Jan 11th 2016 at 6:40 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.