Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

uk tax refund and pensions

uk tax refund and pensions

Old May 14th 2010, 11:35 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default uk tax refund and pensions

Just thought I would post the timeline it has taken to get both a refund of tax due from HMRC and get my hubby's private pension paid gross of tax.

We left the uk in early Dec and I put in the relevant forms before we left. I finally received my refund in the middle of March, some 4 months later....I have just also received a surcharge notice when they owed me tax - appeal now in post!

We applied to get my hubby's private pension paid gross also. We needed to wait until we arrived in Oz and got a tax file number to make the application. The oz tax authorities got it in mid Jan and processed it in two weeks - it got send it to the uk in early February. I chased this again yesterday to be told yes it was processed a couple of days ago...6 months since we left the uk, and nearly 4 months since they received it.

Moral of story - don't expect anything soon, 4 months seems to be the timeline. I know that I won't be paying tax twice, but I have to question if this really needs to take quite so long!

Scotty