Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Tax on emigrating

UK Tax on emigrating

Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK Tax on emigrating

Originally Posted by Grayling
You won't be taxed on any money you take with you.

G
Thanks G,

That makes me feel better, thought I would be going with next to nothing for a minute.

Does everyone receive tax back, or does this just depend on what tax code your on and how much you've paid ?

Sorry for all the questions.

D.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:53 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Sent the form off to Abbey HQ and they wrote back to me saying that they they don't offer the scheme.
Scheme, its not a scheme, its the taxation law!

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
At least leaving it the Abbey and having them deduct the tax should mean that I don't pay Oz tax on the interest due to the double taxaition rule (I think?)
See my above post, so;

Savings are in the UK earning interest income, you are a resident for tax purposes in Australia, so you recieve interest gross from the UK savings income, and pay tax to the Australian authorities. Its not a scheme, its the law.

Originally Posted by Sooty and Sweep
The R105 form is for not ordinarily resident. A person may be regarded as not ordinarily resident in the UK if

• Their home, employment and centre of life has always been abroad, and – they visit, or intend to visit, the UK only for short periods – for example on holiday or irregular business visits which average less than 91 days a tax year, or – they have come to the UK to work or live and intend to stay here for less than 3 years, do not own (or hold on a lease of three years or more), accommodation here for their use, and on leaving the UK intend to visit only for short periods which will average less than 91 days a tax year or – they have come to the UK for a period of study or education and intend to stay here for less than 4 years, do not own (or hold on a lease of three years or more), accommodation here for their use, and on leaving the UK intend to visit only for short periods which will average less than 91 days a tax year.

• They are a former UK resident, and – they have left for permanent residence abroad, and their visits to the UK average less than 91 days a tax year, or – they are currently working full-time abroad under a contract of employment, and both their absence from, and employment outside the UK will last at least a full tax year and their visits to the UK aver age less than 91 days a tax year, or – they accompany or later join their husband or wife, who is working full-time abroad, and meets the conditions for being not ordinarily resident, their absence from the UK will last at least a full tax year, and their visits average less than 91 days a tax year.

Someone living in Australia, but has savings in the UK, and is recieving interest income on these savings in the UK, but is a tax resident of Australia. So you recieve your interest gross in the UK, but pay tax on the gross interest in Australia as you are a tax resident in Austalia.

Last edited by Sooty and Sweep; Jan 30th 2008 at 8:56 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

DestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to allDestinationSydney is a name known to all

See my above post, so;

Savings are in the UK earning interest income, you are a resident for tax purposes in Australia, so you recieve interest gross from the UK savings income, and pay tax to the Australian authorities. Its not a scheme, its the law.
Do you mind if I ask a question? Due to the exchange rate being poor considering leaving it funds in a savings account here. I believe you have 6 mths to transfer funds does that mean during that period it the interest would not be subject to tax either?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:04 pm
Just Joined

Nevis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi D,

you are normally taxed by the inland revenue as if you are going to work a whole year, so, if you dont work a whole tax year, you will probably get a tax rebate.

Also, i guess you want to think about what interest rates are in Oz as opposed to here. if they are more, it still maybe preferable to change your money over to Oz (when the exchange rate is better). Do Oz have the same thing as here, where if a partner is not working, then put all the money in their name and pay no tax on interest. anyone have any views?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney
Do you mind if I ask a question? Due to the exchange rate being poor considering leaving it funds in a savings account here. I believe you have 6 mths to transfer funds does that mean during that period it the interest would not be subject to tax either?
No

Any interest would still be taxed as part of your worldwide income.

G
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

DEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud ofDEEDEE01 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nevis
Hi D,

you are normally taxed by the inland revenue as if you are going to work a whole year, so, if you dont work a whole tax year, you will probably get a tax rebate.

Also, i guess you want to think about what interest rates are in Oz as opposed to here. if they are more, it still maybe preferable to change your money over to Oz (when the exchange rate is better). Do Oz have the same thing as here, where if a partner is not working, then put all the money in their name and pay no tax on interest. anyone have any views?
Thanks for your response Nevis.

By gum, this is complicated !!

Will have to look into this further, I will speak to my agent to see if she can se some more light, thats what I'm paying her for I guess.

Donna.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

expatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant futureexpatadvisor has a brilliant future

The P85 is vital to complete if you are going abroad for as previous contributors have stated. This form informs the HMRC of your change in circumstances i.e. leaving the UK and going to live and work abroad. Irrespective of when you leave the UK you receive your full personal allowances for the tax year in which you leave thus you typically receive a higher tax rebate if you leave in the first few months of the tax year than towards the end by which stage most allowances have been used up ( Your personal allowance for the year is effectively divisible into the 12 months of the tax year).

It must also be noted that although you can claim interest to be paid without tax being deducted on deposits held in the UK, if the level of interest received reaches over your personal tax allowances (yes you can even retain your personal allowances in the UK in some instances even if you are non resident in the UK for tax purposes) the HMRC may write to inform you that you have to pay tax on all interest received. Even if you pay tax in the UK on interest received then you may still have some tax liability on this income in the country you are resident in dependent upon the rate you pay tax in your country of residence.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:25 pm
Banned

Sooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really niceSooty and Sweep is just really nice

Originally Posted by DestinationSydney

I am not going there again, but read my thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485444
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by expatadvisor
It must also be noted that although you can claim interest to be paid without tax being deducted on deposits held in the UK, if the level of interest received reaches over your personal tax allowances (yes you can even retain your personal allowances in the UK in some instances even if you are non resident in the UK for tax purposes) the HMRC may write to inform you that you have to pay tax on all interest received. Even if you pay tax in the UK on interest received then you may still have some tax liability on this income in the country you are resident in dependent upon the rate you pay tax in your country of residence.
You only get taxed once on interest recieved by way of an income, you are taxed only once on world wide income, NOT TWICE, that is important to remember!

If you recieve for example £10,000.00 per year in interest gross from you savings held in the UK. But you are a tax resident in Australia (live there a full twelve months, just for example), you will register to recieve the £10,000.00 per annum in full without the UK tax authorities taking anything in the form of savings interest even though the single person allowance in the UK is around £5,000.00, so you recieve £5,000.00 over this allowance. You still do not pay tax to the UK authorities as you are not a tax resident, and are not recieving any tax allowances from the UK authorities.

But you will pay in full the tax owed to the country where you live, the country where you are a tax resident which in this case would be Australia.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 9:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I am not going there again, but read my thread?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485444
There is abig difference between tax liability on Forex gains and tax liability on savings interest, which is what the OP is asking about.

G
Old Jan 30th 2008, 10:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
There is abig difference between tax liability on Forex gains and tax liability on savings interest, which is what the OP is asking about.

G
Appologies, speed read, made an assumption, as posted wrongly, sorry!
Old Jan 31st 2008, 1:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry 'Scheme' was the wrong word - it was early in the morning!

What I meant was that as I have read and it is stated on form R105, not all Banks and Building Societies will accept the R105 form and stop automatically taking tax. To quote from the form:

complete and return this form to your building society, bank or other deposit-taker. Building societies, banks and other deposit-takers do not have to accept this form. If they do not accept the form your interest will be paid after tax has been taken off.

Abbey refused to accept the form - so I am being taxed.

They offered me the option to move it offshore, which I need to investigate further. What I don't think is a good idea at the moment is to move it to Oz because of the exchange rate.

So I'm hoping the fact that the Abbey will give me a statement showing Uk tax has been taken, the Aussies wont want their cut also.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

The OP is coming on a 457 so I believe he doesn't pay aussie tax on worldwide income as long as he is on the 457.
Old Jan 31st 2008, 2:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nevis
Do Oz have the same thing as here, where if a partner is not working, then put all the money in their name and pay no tax on interest. anyone have any views?
Yes, so long as the interest isn't over your personal non-taxable allowance (which is $6000 this tax year).
Old Jan 31st 2008, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes, so long as the interest isn't over your personal non-taxable allowance (which is $6000 this tax year).
So on my 457 can I earn and pay tax from by Oz employer (including getting LAFHA) and then 'earn' a further $6000 from other non-Oz sources e.g. UK Building Society Interest without paying tax on it either here in Oz or the UK?

And....does that mean if the all the non-Oz sources are held in joint names, me and my wife can claim $6000 each, so $12000 tax free?

I think come tax time, I need to get a good accountant !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.