Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK TAX - Do we notify tax office when we go ?

UK TAX - Do we notify tax office when we go ?

Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Default UK TAX - Do we notify tax office when we go ?

Hi
What forms / procedures are in place to notify Inland revenue that we are off to Aus
Thankyou
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK TAX - Do we notify tax office when we go ?

Originally Posted by coffeebean
Hi
What forms / procedures are in place to notify Inland revenue that we are off to Aus
Thankyou
Contact your local Tax office or down load the forms on-line. You maybe entitled to a rebate. The leaving the Uk Form is a P85, Sent mine off months ago but not not heard anything from them wait and see, you owe them they would soon be on to you, Good Luck

John
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:47 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thankyou
yeah theres aform to claim your full tax allowance for the year
which should equal a tax rebate

give me a minute i`ll dig out a link

regards steve
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Contact your local Tax office or down load the forms on-line. You maybe entitled to a rebate. The leaving the Uk Form is a P85, Sent mine off months ago but not not heard anything from them wait and see, you owe them they would soon be on to you, Good Luck

John
Hi,
When do you actually inform them, do you wait till you go.
ie few days before. Or do you do when you stop working, hubby hopes to finish month before we go?
Cheers
Sharon
Old Apr 17th 2006, 6:55 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thankyou

http://www.direct.gov.uk/MoneyTaxAnd...234&chk=tfBi9M

here it is
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi,
When do you actually inform them, do you wait till you go.
ie few days before. Or do you do when you stop working, hubby hopes to finish month before we go?
Cheers
Sharon

Hi Sharon, I informed them beginning of January, they acknowledged receiving this form P85 but have contacted them since and get past from pillar to post, they have sent me a form titled United Kingdom/Australia Double Taxation Agreement (SI 1968 Number 305) i think this is for my military pension so as I do not get taxed on this twice. Not what i asked for but will send it back to them when i get my Oz tax number and tax forms sorted out when we get there next week. I stopped working last November but recieve a pension. All they told me was they have adjusted my tax code for next year to take into account for any rebate due to me. My wife got her rebate about 3 weeks after leaving work. But seeing i worked for the government ( Royal Navy) and they haven't a clue whats going on. If i get anything back i will consider this a bonus. Good Luck

John

Last edited by nickyjohnt; Apr 17th 2006 at 8:01 pm.
Old Apr 17th 2006, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi Sharon, I informed them beginning of January, they acknowledged receiving this form P85 but have contacted them since and get past from pillar to post, they have sent me a form titled United Kingdom/Australia Double Taxation Agreement (SI 1968 Number 305) i think this is for my military pension so as I do not get taxed on this twice. Not what i asked for but will send it back to them when i get my Oz tax number and tax forms sorted out when we get there next week. I stopped working last November but recieve a pension. All they told me was they have adjusted my tax code for next year to take into account for any rebate due to me. My wife got her rebate about 3 weeks after leaving work. But seeing i worked for the government ( Royal Navy) and they haven't a clue whats going. If i get anything back i will consider this a bonus. Good Luck

John
Thanks for reply. Sounds about right, the systems this country have in place make me laugh. We had some forms for child tax credit. Same form five times with exactly same info just different dates? Then with loads of info and paperwork explaining what forms mean!! What a Waste of tax payers money.
Cheers
Sharon
Old Apr 18th 2006, 6:55 am
Forum Regular

Kangablue is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thankyou

When you see the Inland Revenue, ask them whether they will require you to fill out any Self-Assessment forms before you go. I got into a bit of a mess with the IR even though I visited them a couple of weeks before I left and gave them my brother's address in case they needed to contact me.

They refunded my tax for the current year without any problems and I gave them my details for the previous two years as I had been over in Oz for a period before.

Everything seemed fine until my brother told me I had been requested a Self Assessment. I had my details for the last year and managed to do it over the internet giving them my address in Australia. I then received notice that I was being fined for late submission of a Self Assessment form (which I thought I had already done!). On phoning them, it turned out they wanted Self Assessment form for each of the previous three years. I had never been asked for one until this point. Having migrated to Australia, I was faced with sourcing all my financial details for these years, a hassle I could have done without at that point in time.

It seems that when I decided to leave the country, they saw I was earning at a top tax rate for the previous three years and decided it was time to net any tax on interest my UK bank account would be paying at standard rate.

It was not all bad news; in fact they owed me more money than I owed them.