Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Or die regretting giving it a go.
Perhaps its just the type of person I am. Nothing is a regret as long as I didn't die wondering. You only live once.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 4:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Just telling it how it is. I am sorry if it doesn't suit your loyalties.

But lets be honest, the poster is asking about Sydney. Applying whether conditions of Perth and Queensland and the misery it brings, is misleading.
You're not telling it how it is. You're telling it how you consider it. Nothing wrong with that but it's not factual it's an opinion.
Tanja seems to have her head screwed on right and would presumably accept hearing the good and the bad. Your thoughts are no more valid than anyone else's.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 5:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
You're not telling it how it is. You're telling it how you consider it. Nothing wrong with that but it's not factual it's an opinion.
Tanja seems to have her head screwed on right and would presumably accept hearing the good and the bad. Your thoughts are no more valid than anyone else's.
You are right - people are giving non factual info about Sydney but instead choose to give info about Brisbane or Perth and think it applies Australia wide.

You tell me how me, and Tanja its not factual.

You read something in the press about hail stones in the northern suburbs of Sydney and ASSUME it happen right across the city.

That's false info.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You are right - people are giving non factual info about Sydney but instead choose to give info about Brisbane or Perth and think it applies Australia wide.

You tell me how me, and Tanja its not factual.

You read something in the press about hail stones in the northern suburbs of Sydney and ASSUME it happen right across the city.

That's false info.
Don't look at me, I haven't given any info on Sydney . I imagine you're talking about Pollyana who works in the industry. As far as I understand it she was simply passing on the official data for the area over the past few months. If that's what BOM registers then that's what we accept. Whilst also accepting that some areas didn't get those weather conditions, It doesn't mean it's false info though. Off Topic: BOM often states x will happen in my area, but on my little hill we get y. I don't get my knickers in a twist and accuse BOM of being wrong, I simply put it down to quirk of nature.

If Tanja was to look up weather conditions for Sydney for the past six months, she'd probably be given the overall picture (as stated by Pollyana). You can then come along and say 'but it didn't happen like that here'. And she gets a bigger picture. Everyone's a winner yay! Happy days.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Don't look at me, I haven't given any info on Sydney . I imagine you're talking about Pollyana who works in the industry. As far as I understand it she was simply passing on the official data for the area over the past few months. If that's what BOM registers then that's what we accept. Whilst also accepting that some areas didn't get those weather conditions, It doesn't mean it's false info though. Off Topic: BOM often states x will happen in my area, but on my little hill we get y. I don't get my knickers in a twist and accuse BOM of being wrong, I simply put it down to quirk of nature.

If Tanja was to look up weather conditions for Sydney for the past six months, she'd probably be given the overall picture (as stated by Pollyana). You can then come along and say 'but it didn't happen like that here'. And she gets a bigger picture. Everyone's a winner yay! Happy days.
Therefore everyone is winner ..... or was.
Old Mar 16th 2017, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

People do go out in the sun just with hats and screen. Sports and work might dictate it.

Many People would choose to stay in shade given the choice.
I spend all my time outside choosing shade if it's available : hats, screen (when hiking but even then are trees around)building awnings, trees, pergolas. You can live a full life and still not sit in full sun all the time. I really notice it when I am in full sun : quite a rarity!
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about BE is that most of the negativity comes from places other than Sydney, but they will sweep their feelings across Australia.

After a while you start to see that those on here who live in Sydney and Melbourne are a pretty positive bunch.

Those in Perth were positive when they were earning the big bucks but thats gone downhill a bit and those who live in Queensland are just generally miserable for some reason. Perhaps its the weather.
Don't give up your day time job old chap !
Old Mar 20th 2017, 12:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Firstly the OP does not have a visa yet so is not going anywhere.

Secondly....what would you know about the weather?...you spend all your time inside on the computer Posting bullshit on here
How very rude ! Even if it were true it would be still very rude !
Old Mar 24th 2017, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Bit late to this party but thought I'd add my two penneth worth!

It's quite likely that we'll be moving back to Sydney (from the UK) for the second time later this year.

We were there originally with two children under 5, this time they're both school age.
My husband had a similar salary to yours but we had the benefit of a now obsolete form of tax relief (LAFHA).

I won't sugar coat it - the money side of things was the biggest challenge, it was tough. When we moved back to the UK, I felt like a millionaire! However, we don't live in London (we're in the Cotswolds) so weren't really comparing like for like.

I'd like to feel like we'll be going back with our eyes wide open...although I suspect our 5 years away has put a rose tint on things!

My advice to you would be to go for it, especially as it doesn't sound like your children are old enough to be too disrupted. Sydney (I can't speak for the rest of Australia) offers a fantastic life for families - we were constantly outside, going to (free) festivals, the beach and community events. The city feels cosmopolitan and international but is small, green and clean enough to feel manageable. The winters are rubbish, but thankfully short.
We have all missed it.

If you can make the figures add up (don't be seduced by a salary that might seem attractive from a UK point of view) then it could be the best thing you ever do...and if it's not then you can always come home. We have lived in 7 countries and I've never regretted any move.

Good luck, keep posting!

PS. Is your husband in oil and gas by chance? We have been offered Texas before!
Old Mar 24th 2017, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

well I am also a little late for this party but all I can add is I was a £10 Pom in 1965 to 1969, emigrated on my own at age 19, best time of my life I was in Sydney for most of that time, I left a Job in England at $7 per 48 hour week and in Sydney working for NSW railways I was making 3 times that at £21 per 40 hour week so I thought I was a millionaire, yes they were the days before the Oz dollar became the currency, anyway those four years were the best time of my life, lots of friends, sunshine, lots of outdoor things to do, £5 per week for a room in a guest house at full board including a packed lunch, after work we all would end up at our local pub, MEN ONLY, NO WOMEN ALLOWED!!! as far as I know all the pubs in Oz were like that in those days, I would often see men taking scooners of beer out to the car parked outside so at least the women could have a beer while there husbands are inside getting S - faced
But of course I was young and fancy free and of course not married and no kids, in those circumstances when you are married with family wherever you live in the world life would be altogether different,
Later I went on to live in Canada for 3 years, and America for 33 years, now Im coming up to 72 and now at home in England retired and feeling like a millionaire again been home over 6 years now and loving it, still looking after my 98 year old Mum, bless her heart!!!
Old Mar 26th 2017, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
well I am also a little late for this party but all I can add is I was a £10 Pom in 1965 to 1969, emigrated on my own at age 19, best time of my life I was in Sydney for most of that time, I left a Job in England at $7 per 48 hour week and in Sydney working for NSW railways I was making 3 times that at £21 per 40 hour week so I thought I was a millionaire, yes they were the days before the Oz dollar became the currency, anyway those four years were the best time of my life, lots of friends, sunshine, lots of outdoor things to do, £5 per week for a room in a guest house at full board including a packed lunch, after work we all would end up at our local pub, MEN ONLY, NO WOMEN ALLOWED!!! as far as I know all the pubs in Oz were like that in those days, I would often see men taking scooners of beer out to the car parked outside so at least the women could have a beer while there husbands are inside getting S - faced
But of course I was young and fancy free and of course not married and no kids, in those circumstances when you are married with family wherever you live in the world life would be altogether different,
Later I went on to live in Canada for 3 years, and America for 33 years, now Im coming up to 72 and now at home in England retired and feeling like a millionaire again been home over 6 years now and loving it, still looking after my 98 year old Mum, bless her heart!!!

Altogether now : "my old man's a dustman - he wears a dustman's hat......"