Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 11th 2017, 6:49 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I don't even think it's that, although it probably plays a part with some people. I just know as soon as it starts being grey, heavy sky, my health suffers massively. I used to spend hours in a hot bath just to get the chill out of my bones when everyone else was quite happy in jeans, jumpers etc. I'm definitely a glass more than half full person but October through April/May, in the UK, if it wasn't sunny, I struggled to cope.
SAD? (Seasonal Affective Disorder). I'm convinced scouse has it here, he's just not his usual sunny self through the winter months. While I'm similarly convinced that I suffer from SAD during Oz summers. Mismatch of the century us (but I love the bones of him)
Old Mar 11th 2017, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and it is a growing problem in Australia because everyone keeps their chilfdren out of the sun.

You have a lot to learn.
Perhaps in Queensland. Poster is moving to Sydney.

You have a lot to learn beyond Queensland.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 7:56 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Perhaps in Queensland. Poster is moving to Sydney.

You have a lot to learn beyond Queensland.
Firstly the OP does not have a visa yet so is not going anywhere.

Secondly....what would you know about the weather?...you spend all your time inside on the computer Posting bullshit on here
Old Mar 11th 2017, 8:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Secondly....what would you know about the weather?...you spend all your time inside on the computer Posting bullshit on here
I think a fair few Sydney parents would'vekept their children indoors in the air con throughout this summer's heatwave. Brisbane was hot, but Sydney had us beaten by a good few degrees.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I think a fair few Sydney parents would'vekept their children indoors in the air con throughout this summer's heatwave. Brisbane was hot, but Sydney had us beaten by a good few degrees.
Did they? There were plenty of kids in the parks, at the beaches, in the pools, with my child.
Old Mar 11th 2017, 11:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Desktops are a thing of the past.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Whoa, come on guys, let's be nice to each other, shall we?
True, we have no visa so we're not going anywhere yet - thanks for pointing that out.... Ouch! Lol... And fair enough, if people chose to keep their kids indoors because it's too hot, too high UV or for whatever reasons, I get that. The thing is, even if I did not keep my kids indoors (which I don't unless the weather is too rubbish here, which often it is), they still wouldn't get any sun because, well, it's just not sunny here!
I always think it's quite interesting (or should I say frustrating) on these forums - you ask a question because you're considering moving somewhere and the people who *have moved there* tell you you shouldn't because it's so awful. Erm, if it's so awful why don't you come back?! There's a reason you went, so why are you trying to convince others not to? I guess this just goes to show the grass isn't always greener on the other side but also people will always find stuff to moan about if they really want to... In the end it's about what you make of it.... Sorry, I don't mean to attack anyone or anything, I'm just a bit frustrated by people who have done what I'm thinking/dreaming of doing telling me I shouldn't do it... Happy Sunday all
Old Mar 12th 2017, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Tanja87
True, we have no visa so we're not going anywhere yet - thanks for pointing that out.... Ouch! Lol... And fair enough, if people chose to keep their kids indoors because it's too hot, too high UV or for whatever reasons, I get that. The thing is, even if I did not keep my kids indoors (which I don't unless the weather is too rubbish here, which often it is), they still wouldn't get any sun because, well, it's just not sunny here!
I always think it's quite interesting (or should I say frustrating) on these forums - you ask a question because you're considering moving somewhere and the people who *have moved there* tell you you shouldn't because it's so awful. Erm, if it's so awful why don't you come back?! There's a reason you went, so why are you trying to convince others not to? I guess this just goes to show the grass isn't always greener on the other side but also people will always find stuff to moan about if they really want to... In the end it's about what you make of it.... Sorry, I don't mean to attack anyone or anything, I'm just a bit frustrated by people who have done what I'm thinking/dreaming of doing telling me I shouldn't do it... Happy Sunday all
One thing about BE is that most of the negativity comes from places other than Sydney, but they will sweep their feelings across Australia.

After a while you start to see that those on here who live in Sydney and Melbourne are a pretty positive bunch.

Those in Perth were positive when they were earning the big bucks but thats gone downhill a bit and those who live in Queensland are just generally miserable for some reason. Perhaps its the weather.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Good points, Tanja87!

I'm certainly not one of those who've made a move to Sydney or Melbourne yet - my move was many decades ago, and due to an unique, never before and never since alignment of the stars, planets and asteroid fields, the transport craft overshot the intended coordinates and landed me in Singapore instead.

The weather here sucks, I'm always wet (and not in a good sense), people here speak in a language that kinda sounds like English to an acclimatized ear but could very well be Martian to me (OK, not anymore, not after 25 years), everyone is in a mad rush to someplace or somewhere, a "bog-standard" W222 S-Klasse S500 sets you back $575,000 (€380,000 or £330,000) and a bottle of Chateau Mouton Rothschild, say 2011 vintage (not even a very good year, mind you) costs $800 (€600 or roughly £520).

Like you, I've been planning and contemplating a move to Sydney. Unlike you, it hasn't happened yet not because of a lack of a visa (I've burned through 2 previous 175s and am on realistically my last life with the newly minted 189) but simply because, despite all that's bad and expensive that's been said about my present domicile, it also happens to be a place where I make a boatload of pennies and I can't foresee myself repeating the same pecuniary pattern in either Sydney or Melbourne.

Not many will say this, because it's obviously not something that gets tossed about in a party conversation, but money matters do, well, matter and when you're contemplating emigrating from one first world (be it Blighty, Germany or dare I even say it, Singapore), apart from how sunny or not it will be, you ought to make sure you're not "trading down" from something which you now have, for something less.

Don't let "sunshine all year long" be the only excuse you end up with, to justify any potential move to Australia.

Good luck and all the best with whatever you and your hubby end up choosing!
Old Mar 12th 2017, 9:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very simplistic sort of approach to a complex situation. Let's say that you grt here and find that the kids and hubby settle right in. Happier than pigs in poo! But you yourself are having a bit harder tome. You miss family and friends and familiarity. You can't find work in your field that you trained in for years. Are you going to just pack up and go home or are you going to stay with your husband and children (who are now legally resident in Australia so aren't going anywhere without the other parent'spermission)?

BE is a place that a lot of us have been coming for a long time. It's a place where we can vent some of the frustration some of us feel here and maybe help new members realise that there are potential pitfalls in moving to the other side of the world. If you choose to ignore the advice of those who are trying to remove the rose coloured glasses then that's up to you. But don't come back in 5 years and say " Gee I wish someone hadtold me about xyz".
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:50 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

One thing about BE is that most of the negativity comes from places other than Sydney, but they will sweep their feelings across Australia.

After a while you start to see that those on here who live in Sydney and Melbourne are a pretty positive bunch.

Those in Perth were positive when they were earning the big bucks but thats gone downhill a bit and those who live in Queensland are just generally miserable for some reason. Perhaps its the weather.
lordy you do spout nonsense sometimes. One day someone will believe you which would be a worry.
Old Mar 12th 2017, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
lordy you do spout nonsense sometimes. One day someone will believe you which would be a worry.
Just telling it how it is. I am sorry if it doesn't suit your loyalties.

But lets be honest, the poster is asking about Sydney. Applying whether conditions of Perth and Queensland and the misery it brings, is misleading.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Just telling it how it is. I am sorry if it doesn't suit your loyalties.

But lets be honest, the poster is asking about Sydney. Applying whether conditions of Perth and Queensland and the misery it brings, is misleading.
However applying conditions of leaving your life thousands of miles away and the potential misery it brings is not misleading.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dorothy
However applying conditions of leaving your life thousands of miles away and the potential misery it brings is not misleading.
Or potential happiness.

You can either die wondering, or die giving it a go.
Old Mar 13th 2017, 1:25 am
Still alive

Or potential happiness.

You can either die wondering, or die giving it a go.
Or die regretting giving it a go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.