Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 6th 2017, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 6th 2017, 3:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
a) I doubt ANYONE would miss the uk weather and
*hand up* I would! I hate hot weather, even 28 degrees for me is getting too hot, and I love the seasons of the UK. Those that think it rains all the time are either living in a really wet area, or just not very observant.

I adore warm spring days with the blossom coming out, a crisp cold winter's day, a drizzly autumn one with a good long dog walk and returning to the fire, and lazy summer evenings where it's still light at 9.30pm. Give me all those seasons and changes any day over year round hot weather (not that Sydney's got that). But just saying I have missed the UK weather desperately when I've left it, so some people would do!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't get me wrong - I do love a crisp cold winter's day and warming by the fire! Just, at least where we are in the UK, we don't even get that... It's always wet and so blustery, that makes going out in the winter (autumn, even spring...) rather unpleasant. I can probably count on one hand the days it hasn't rained here since October! And by rain I mean that freezing horrible sideways rain, not a lovely shower that's nice to walk and splash in puddles in... I can also probably count on one hand the number of days last summer that have been warm enough for the kids to use the paddling pool or me to lounge on the garden and work on my tan. We don't get a decent winter OR summer where we are - I'd like to have at least one proper season lol
But as I said, it's not just the weather (although that does play a huge factor, as you can tell lol) but also about our family time, lifestyle, work-life balance etc. We've been wanting to leave the UK since about 2007! But careers and starting our own family "got in the way" of our plans back then. Now we feel we can finally make the move, more or less sensibly, with at least hubby's work prospects somewhat secure.
It is more or less out of our hands where we end up, so I'm just trying to find out what to expect in whatever location we end up in xx
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
*hand up* I would! I hate hot weather, even 28 degrees for me is getting too hot, and I love the seasons of the UK. Those that think it rains all the time are either living in a really wet area, or just not very observant.

I adore warm spring days with the blossom coming out, a crisp cold winter's day, a drizzly autumn one with a good long dog walk and returning to the fire, and lazy summer evenings where it's still light at 9.30pm. Give me all those seasons and changes any day over year round hot weather (not that Sydney's got that). But just saying I have missed the UK weather desperately when I've left it, so some people would do!
We do indeed. And after months of blue skies I just love getting home and seeing grey ones!!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I love the weather here, including winter! I miss some things about Oz, but the heat isn't one of them.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Britexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond reputeBritexmom has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry about scaring us off - it'd take a LOT to achieve that I agree that the weather sounds fascinating but it is good to know how extreme it can get. I heard today that they had very destructive storms in TX lately, houses being ruined, that kind of thing. That wouldn't put us off I don't think as I'm sure the people who live in such areas know how to deal with those weather conditions, e.g. I know most houses in TX now have bouncy rubber roofs to deal with large hail and they also have "safe rooms" in case of tornados. I did in fact start a thread in the US forum as well last year which was very helpful so that's why I'd come here with this new option of Oz coming up It's always best to get information from people who have been there and done it I think xx
I live in San Antonio TX and yes as you say we do have extreme weather too.
I haven't heard about bouncy rubber roofs....I have however had to have 2 ew roofs put on my house in the space of 10 moths due to hail storms. 2 weeks ago another storm came through the city and took down the back fence.

Last year my sons car was totaled by hail, as was my own car....my husbands car was 9 weeks in the shop getting fixed from hail damage.
The only "safe room" we have is the master closet and guest bathroom...those are the rooms with no windows and no walls to the exterior.

I think you will find extreme weather, wet, hot, cold, drought etc in almost every continent....you just have to learn to deal with it since it's not a daily occurrence.
House cost in Texas are very low....we have a 2900 sq ft home that we purchased in 2000 for 157k now it's worth about $245k, which is still reasonable for the neighborhood I live .

I personally would love to live in Australia....even if just for a short time but I have too many kids to put through college and Texas does have a great college system.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I love the weather here, including winter! I miss some things about Oz, but the heat isn't one of them.
Yes. The Perth heat must be awful at certain points of the year.

Is that the reason why they name Perth teams after the weather? Perth Heat, Perth Scorchers?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely! I definitely got SAD in Australia but with a difference - during the drought a few years ago, waking up every day to a vivid blue sky was just as draining as the old cloud cover. We used to pore over the BOM site just longing for a blue blob to come over us and dump some rain (sad!)

Around here, the rain is little and infrequent so maybe folk who live in wet areas of the UK could move just a bit closer to home and get all the benefits of wonderful seasons and IMHO better weather!
Old Mar 7th 2017, 7:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll

Absolutely! I definitely got SAD in Australia but with a difference - during the drought a few years ago, waking up every day to a vivid blue sky was just as draining as the old cloud cover. We used to pore over the BOM site just longing for a blue blob to come over us and dump some rain (sad!)

Around here, the rain is little and infrequent so maybe folk who live in wet areas of the UK could move just a bit closer to home and get all the benefits of wonderful seasons and IMHO better weather!
Seasons are great. Nine months of winter sucks.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 10:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beoz
Old Mar 7th 2017, 11:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Golly, remind me never to live there! Is that Canada or Tasmania?
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like Canada to me. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt (although rarely wore it ). I found the most wearing thing the lack of green, this time of year it would still be brown everywhere which wasn't great. Not all of Canada is like that of course, some places very rarely get any snow or cold temps.

But give me the UK anyday, love the fact that it's blue skies and sun and I dog walked in just the aforementioned t-shirt this morning. Spring has sprung.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 12:21 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Sadly it's the UK for me give or take a few months. It's all a matter of personal perception and winter seemed to last at least 6 months in a good year when I lived there.
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

But give me the UK anyday, love the fact that it's blue skies and sun and I dog walked in just the aforementioned t-shirt this morning. Spring has sprung.
Whereabouts in the UK are you? We had a few minutes of sun today but still bloody freezing!!!! Lol xx
Old Mar 7th 2017, 3:31 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Whereabouts in the UK are you? We had a few minutes of sun today but still bloody freezing!!!! Lol xx

It's been sunny all day here in Cambridgeshire....was yesterday as well.

Not particularly cold either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.