Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Mar 2nd 2017, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Don't worry about scaring us off - it'd take a LOT to achieve that I agree that the weather sounds fascinating but it is good to know how extreme it can get. I heard today that they had very destructive storms in TX lately, houses being ruined, that kind of thing. That wouldn't put us off I don't think as I'm sure the people who live in such areas know how to deal with those weather conditions, e.g. I know most houses in TX now have bouncy rubber roofs to deal with large hail and they also have "safe rooms" in case of tornados. I did in fact start a thread in the US forum as well last year which was very helpful so that's why I'd come here with this new option of Oz coming up It's always best to get information from people who have been there and done it I think xx
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
oh for heavens sake I am not trying to scare anyone off. Far from it, the Aussie weather is facinating; i hate the heat and humidity but I love the rest of it. All I am doing is pointing out that it isn't always sunny and 'better weather' here. Australia is a country of extremes weatherwise. Basic fact of life. Its just something else to be aware of when moving here. There are storms. There are instances of large hail - the stuff in Geordie George's freezer came from somewhere after all. And there are bushfires - live in certain areas you need to be aware and make the relevant plans. Many thousands of people do just that. Its just another fact of life and one that deserves as much mention as shops and beaches.
But that's Brisbane weather. Not Sydney.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 1:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz

Brisbane is far less prone to bushfires than VIctoria or NSW, cant say in 10 + years up there I ever recall a significant one, certainly nothing compared to the risk in Southern states. The reason being summer up there usually comes with a lot of rain in the form of storms.

However this summer was apparently a lot hotter and dryer than normal.

Melbourne was cooler than the last 2 summers which included days of hell, not too bad all up, but autumn and winter and cant come soon enough for me.
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

My posts in this thread are not about Brisbane weather, they are about this season in Sydney and NSW
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 3:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Don't worry about scaring us off - it'd take a LOT to achieve that I agree that the weather sounds fascinating but it is good to know how extreme it can get. I heard today that they had very destructive storms in TX lately, houses being ruined, that kind of thing. That wouldn't put us off I don't think as I'm sure the people who live in such areas know how to deal with those weather conditions, e.g. I know most houses in TX now have bouncy rubber roofs to deal with large hail and they also have "safe rooms" in case of tornados. I did in fact start a thread in the US forum as well last year which was very helpful so that's why I'd come here with this new option of Oz coming up It's always best to get information from people who have been there and done it I think xx
Thats all I'm trying to achieve - letting you (and others) know how extreme it can get
Old Mar 3rd 2017, 11:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

So is it all just going to work or school and then going to the beach or is there more to the lifestyle out there? What really is there to do during your quality family time? Xx
Old Mar 4th 2017, 12:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
So is it all just going to work or school and then going to the beach or is there more to the lifestyle out there? What really is there to do during your quality family time? Xx
Lifestyle? - are you talking outdoors? Lets assume that.

Water related activities, surfing, fishing, kayaking, occasionally sailing but I don't understand it.

The vast water related activities and the environment you do them in (ocean, harbour, river, lake) are the main differing points to the UK. Everything else outdoors can be done in both places.

The main difference is the length of seasons that you actually want to be outdoors. In Sydney its all year round (except for a rain day - like today). In the UK - a month, 2 at best!!!.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 3:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Lifestyle? - are you talking outdoors? Lets assume that.

Water related activities, surfing, fishing, kayaking, occasionally sailing but I don't understand it.

The vast water related activities and the environment you do them in (ocean, harbour, river, lake) are the main differing points to the UK. Everything else outdoors can be done in both places.

The main difference is the length of seasons that you actually want to be outdoors. In Sydney its all year round (except for a rain day - like today). In the UK - a month, 2 at best!!!.
(Unless you're happy doing all those outdoor things in the cold/grey/wet).
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yup: If you're Grayling or any number of dissatisfied Aussie migrants doing stuff in the cold and rain is better than in the heat.

Horses for courses. "It's easier to warm up than cool down".

My personal view is that most of us like to do our physical activity outside in mild conditions. Hiking in Aus for example, in summer, is better done under shaded eucalypts or in the late afternoon.

The reality is that when we are too cold we forget what it was like to be too hot, and when we're running hot we yearn to be cold.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'd prefer doing outdoor things in as few items of clothing as possible, unless its snow skiing.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I'd prefer doing outdoor things in as few items of clothing as possible, unless its snow skiing.
I love: indeed prefer, the cold when on skis, touring skis or in boots but only under blue skies and suitably geared up. I'm a fickle thing. :-)
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:11 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

My outdoor things are walking and swimming in my pool (not the walking in the pool obviously). I don't like the idea of either of those in Britain tbh.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

My outdoor things are walking and swimming in my pool (not the walking in the pool obviously). I don't like the idea of either of those in Britain tbh.
I don't mind a bit of mountain biking in Britain in the summer weeks. There's some great trails around. There's also some fantastic purpose built facilities.

Despite its depressing website, this place rocks.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/bedgebury
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I love: indeed prefer, the cold when on skis, touring skis or in boots but only under blue skies and suitably geared up. I'm a fickle thing. :-)
Yes. Skiing in flat light sucks.
Old Mar 4th 2017, 4:22 am
Crazy Cat Lady

I don't mind a bit of mountain biking in Britain in the summer weeks. There's some great trails around. There's also some fantastic purpose built facilities.

Despite its depressing website, this place rocks.

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/bedgebury
Let's be honest, all of Britain rocks one way or another. It's just personal preference as to what you like to do outside and how precious you are about being cold/wet. I totally put my hand up to being a princess in a UK winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.