Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK to Sydney - what to expect?

Hi all
I'm brand new to the Australia forum so hello everyone
We've been looking at leaving the UK for a while now and my husband's work has recently taken him to Australia. Needless to say he fell in love lol! And one of his contacts now wants him to come work out there for him. Tempting!!
We had originally been considering Texas for a while (we both love it there!) but we wouldn't get the security as, apparently, with Oz we could have our PR visas within 3 months?! Texas would be at least 18 months during which time they could kick us out any time... Not such an appealing thought with 2 small kids!
Never having been to Oz myself I'm just wondering what it'd be like to move out there? What are the people like? Have you found it quite easy making friends? How are the kids finding it? Is there lots to do for families with kids? How "wrong" is it having Christmas in the summer lol? Are there actually seasons? Can you find snow anywhere during the winter? I've never considered Oz as a place to move to myself (mainly because I'm scared of deadly wildlife and the whole Christmas in shorts thing weirds me out lol) and no amount of reading up on it actually tells me the personal thoughts and experiences of people who have made the move
I'd love to hear your experiences, what you like and dislike, maybe a bit of a reality check...? Thank you xx
Old Feb 26th 2017, 8:45 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to Sydney - what to expect?

A PR visa may take longer than 3 months.....if you qualify in the first place.

Have you checked if either of you is eligible for a PR visa?

What does your husband do?

A work sponsored visas not PR and again there would be a skills assessment.

Check this out first.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

He said something about Skill Select, him having 70 points when he needs 60 and that he could get us over like that on PR even without a job in place in as little as 3 months. The job would be merely a bonus for us in terms of financial security when we get there Just going by what he's telling me really as he has the time to research! With 2 small kids I hardly have the time to go pee... He's in Sydney atm so he's expecting a call from some agency to confirm all that I think...
I'm just after some personal first-hand experiences really, how people are finding it etc. as I've never been and might not get a chance to go before we'd like to make a decision We're set on leaving the UK sooner rather than later, though I'm conscious the grass isn't always greener on the other side... That's why I want the good, the bad and the ugly people have encountered and are encountering after making the move haha! Pretty please xx
Old Feb 27th 2017, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say if he has a good job lined up with a really good wage (Sydney is expensive), then go for it - especially as you are wanting to move from UK anyway. Kids can adapt quite easily, especially if they are quite young. There will be loads of things to do with kids in Sydney. Yes, you do get seasons in Australia depending on where you are. For example Darwin has 2 seasons, hot and hotter whereas Melbourne can have four seasons in one day. You do get snow in Winter in the mountains. I'm in Melbourne and can be at the snow in around 3 hours (not that I have ever bothered) or can fly to NZ quite easily and cheaply and enjoy the snow there.

The only issue would be the visa. It would take longer than 3 months from start to finish. A skills assessment (needed for a permanent visa) can take around 12 weeks to get back which needs to be done before submitting an application for the actual visa - which again, can then take months to be granted. Definitely do-able but may not be granted within the time frame you want. Good luck xx

Last edited by Jilliebee; Feb 27th 2017 at 12:44 am.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd recommend Texas, it's a great place to live. Quality of life is very good, housing is very affordable and I assume you'd be on a reasonable salary. It's a chance worth taking IMO.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Thank you
That's good to know about the skill assessment, I'm not sure he's aware of that...
I very much have my heart set on Texas, and had for a while, so I'm finding it hard letting go of it as it's my perfect place! But I think by now it's pretty much out of the question for hubby... We're relying on him to support the family so I kind of feel like he gets to decide. His problem is that, whilst we're waiting for PR in Texas (anywhere from 18 months to 8 years!) we'd be at the mercy of his employer whereas with Oz he could get us PR without relying on anyone else... And I get that! It's a huge factor! However, from looking at a few options lifestyle wise, in comparison, I've been a bit underwhelmed by Oz so far. The housing is very disappointing (at least compared to TX) and I don't think we'd be financially better off there, whereas we definitely would in TX! But I don't think hubby wants to take the risk of moving to the states and possibly getting sent back if things go pear shaped at work.
Anyway, long story short, I'm trying to get excited about Oz I'm sure if we'd gone with him to visit, we'd love it just as much but my heart is set on TX which may no longer be an option. So I'm turning to you lovely people to tell me what it's really like. Thank you xx
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Thank you
That's good to know about the skill assessment, I'm not sure he's aware of that...
I very much have my heart set on Texas, and had for a while, so I'm finding it hard letting go of it as it's my perfect place! But I think by now it's pretty much out of the question for hubby... We're relying on him to support the family so I kind of feel like he gets to decide. His problem is that, whilst we're waiting for PR in Texas (anywhere from 18 months to 8 years!) we'd be at the mercy of his employer whereas with Oz he could get us PR without relying on anyone else... And I get that! It's a huge factor! However, from looking at a few options lifestyle wise, in comparison, I've been a bit underwhelmed by Oz so far. The housing is very disappointing (at least compared to TX) and I don't think we'd be financially better off there, whereas we definitely would in TX! But I don't think hubby wants to take the risk of moving to the states and possibly getting sent back if things go pear shaped at work.
Anyway, long story short, I'm trying to get excited about Oz I'm sure if we'd gone with him to visit, we'd love it just as much but my heart is set on TX which may no longer be an option. So I'm turning to you lovely people to tell me what it's really like. Thank you xx
How have you figured out what "financially better off" is?
Old Feb 27th 2017, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
How have you figured out what "financially better off" is?
Yeah, I'd like to know a bit about that as well ... as I'm still struggling with my inner demons, while the clock is ticking down to the weeks/days I have left before I have to make my third "First/Validation Entry" visit Down Under...

But, it's simply not true that 189 (Skilled Independent) Visas are now taking 12 months. I got mine approved from application to grant in 3 months, with 70 points scored. My previous 175 was approved in 2 months (I had higher points given I was younger then) - so, I guess it's still very much depends on how much demand there is for the particular skillset.

All the best of luck to the OP (and hubby)!
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

It just looks as though the cost of living is so much higher out in Oz... I do appreciate that wages tend to be higher, too, but I do think the numbers work out more in our favour in the US. It's not all about the money though, so maybe I shouldn't focus so much on that... The housing I do find disappointing though, but again, maybe I should focus on having less to clean and more time to enjoy the weather and the outdoors... lol xx
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:01 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xizzles
Yeah, I'd like to know a bit about that as well ... as I'm still struggling with my inner demons, while the clock is ticking down to the weeks/days I have left before I have to make my third "First/Validation Entry" visit Down Under...

But, it's simply not true that 189 (Skilled Independent) Visas are now taking 12 months. I got mine approved from application to grant in 3 months, with 70 points scored. My previous 175 was approved in 2 months (I had higher points given I was younger then) - so, I guess it's still very much depends on how much demand there is for the particular skillset.

All the best of luck to the OP (and hubby)!
The timeline varies tremendously, depending on what checks need to be done, and also on whether you are including the skills assessment in the timeline - that alone can be 3-4 months.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 9:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
It just looks as though the cost of living is so much higher out in Oz... I do appreciate that wages tend to be higher, too, but I do think the numbers work out more in our favour in the US. It's not all about the money though, so maybe I shouldn't focus so much on that... The housing I do find disappointing though, but again, maybe I should focus on having less to clean and more time to enjoy the weather and the outdoors... lol xx
Can you put you figures on the table? Many people make mistakes when comparing cost of living. Its complex. Easy to make mistakes.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

From what I gather we'd be looking at a 10k a month net salary in both places, which I think looking at property prices, cars, fuel, taxes, insurances etc would stretch much further in the US than in Oz... please correct me if I'm wrong! I'd love to be wrong on this one as it means my main worry wouldn't be a worry anymore lol xx
Old Feb 27th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The timeline varies tremendously, depending on what checks need to be done, and also on whether you are including the skills assessment in the timeline - that alone can be 3-4 months.
Yeah, I suppose mine's a bit of an outlying case - since I was positively assessed for my previous 175s, I guess that sped up the process for the 189...
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Try this after inputting UK City and Sydney in Australia - will give a little bit of an idea. It's safe to assume most things are more expensive in Sydney and that wages and salaries are much higher in Sydney, especially with the pound as weak as it is.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-livin...try2=Australia

The 'Wanted Down Under scenario': - virtually every couple on the program finds property and prices more expensive and incomes higher and they usually end up with the 'ooh, we're $x better off in Australia.

Real cost of living is just one factor in a migration choice and it doesn't seem to be top of OP's list.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

I'm actually just watching Wanted Down Under lol You're right, so far everyone was financially better off in Oz which I found very surprising! But yeah, money isn't the main objective... In his current role hubby has to travel a lot, which he'd still have to do in TX but would not be the case at all anymore in his Oz role. His current U.K. commute is 2h each way! Whereas in both Oz and US we'd be able to afford living much closer to his work! Also the weather and outdoorsy lifestyle is a big pull! So it's mainly about having the ability to spend quality family time together (whilst still being able to afford the odd luxuries here and there).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.