Reload this Page >

UK student loan in Australia

UK student loan in Australia

Old May 29th 2018, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

ab a is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK student loan in Australia

Hi,

I recently moved to Australia (I went to uni in the UK) and am working here. I opened my email the other day (which I dont use very often) and noticed an email from student loan company from UK asking me where I was. I currently have a lot of debts in Australia and have low income so I want to delay repayments for at least a year as even a couple of hundred dollars a month makes a huge difference to me at the moment (and I had totally forgot about student loan).

I was wondering if there is a way of delaying this payment? I've read in other forums that slc chased other people? Can someone share their experiences? How long does did it take them to chase people? I want to make payments but that will make my life here very difficult at the moment and want to delay for at least a year.

Thanks
Old May 29th 2018, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK student loan in Australia

I would contact them and come to an arrangement.
Old May 30th 2018, 4:17 am
Addicted to browsing BE

goldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond reputegoldchoccycoin has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at Student Loan Repayment UK and the section on 'Repaying your Loan'. You will have to start paying if you earn over (approx.) $50,200 AUD. If you can't pay at all I would contact them and ask what you can do to defer or pay a minimal amount. Interest will still accrue if you defer.

Best of luck!
Old May 30th 2018, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

I did call them, anonymously twice, and they were almost rude both times and were only asking about my details and telling me that I need to pay!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How long did it take them to find people? I am thinking it probably takes them a year to find me so better not to give them any details rather than tell them everything and then beg them which they probably refuse anyway!
Old May 30th 2018, 10:07 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ab a
I did call them, anonymously twice, and they were almost rude both times and were only asking about my details and telling me that I need to pay!

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? How long did it take them to find people? I am thinking it probably takes them a year to find me so better not to give them any details rather than tell them everything and then beg them which they probably refuse anyway!
But it's your debt. Of course they want payment! If you had enough money to support your mother and move to Australia then they would like to know why you didn't have the money to pay back the loan. I'm sure the taxpayers who fund the student loans would too.
Old May 30th 2018, 11:26 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I recently moved to Australia (I went to uni in the UK) and am working here. I opened my email the other day (which I dont use very often) and noticed an email from student loan company from UK asking me where I was. I currently have a lot of debts in Australia and have low income so I want to delay repayments for at least a year as even a couple of hundred dollars a month makes a huge difference to me at the moment (and I had totally forgot about student loan).

I was wondering if there is a way of delaying this payment? I've read in other forums that slc chased other people? Can someone share their experiences? How long does did it take them to chase people? I want to make payments but that will make my life here very difficult at the moment and want to delay for at least a year.

Thanks
This company may want you to pay - and you should - but I don't see how they can legally force you to in Australia. There is plenty of info on this site about how overseas debts are very difficult to collect - do a search

It's done differently here - student loans are run by the government and are repaid directly out of your income as a tax supplement
Old May 31st 2018, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
If you have a low income here they will not expect you to pay until your income rises. A couple of hundred dollars a moth makes a difference to most people but the majority of us who have come here with debts from home, be they loans, credit cards or whatever have had to find a way to pay them. Negotiating lower payments with the companies you owe money to here may be an option too.

How can you "forget" about a student loan?!
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

I think I have to explain a couple of things- I have the intention of paying otherwise I wouldnt come here but I want to delay it (and I have been paying for the last 8 years or so).
And my circumstances have changed a lot in the last year, until about a year ago I wouldnt be bothered about a few hundred dollars a month but now even a hundred dollars makes a huge difference to me! I know my situation better than others.

Anyhow I was just interested to know about other peoples experience.

Thanks
Old Jun 9th 2018, 6:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aqeeb azam
Error.
Why are you posting 'error' all over the forums?
Old Jan 31st 2019, 10:38 am
Just Joined

Dtwmstewart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
Hey there is nothing that they can do to compel you to pay back the debt.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Are you earning over the threashold that will require you to pay? If your circumstances have changed they will take that into account going forward. My son gets a letter every year with a form to complete showing his Aus earnings. He doesn’t earn enough to pay (he is at Uni here now with pt job) so they defer a year at a time. My other son now does earn enough and is paying back the loan.

Give them hem your new contact details and they will send you a form. If you have additional circumstances to relate add a covering note. Ringing them is a waste of time, the people answering the forms can’t deal with anything other than basic questions and the website is dire! They do respond to written correspondence though and insist on sending snail mail even to Aus.
Old Feb 2nd 2019, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Also if you were making payments in the UK and that bank account is still open they will continue to take payments until you can show your circumstances have changed.
You agreed to pay and you say you intend to, good for you. There are deferral options but you may have to apply in writing with evidence.
Old Apr 2nd 2019, 2:51 am
Just Joined

KCR_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there - I have recently been through this process. I was repaying my default amount. However we recently had a baby and my wife gave up work so the repayment amount (close to AUD 650 per month). I completed an income and expenditure assessment and I was able to pay a lower amount for the next 12 months or until my circumstances change. Whatever the case my advice is to call and discuss with the Student Loan Company. The very worst thing you can do is to not communicate with them.