UK Storms

Old Jan 8th 2005, 11:23 pm
been there........

TheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud ofTheCrone has much to be proud of
Default UK Storms

Seems like much of the North of England and Lowland Scotland are having the worst weather in years. According to the BBC, tens of thousands of homes are without power.
Hope all our forumites from that part of the world stay safe.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:37 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Storms

Originally Posted by TheCrone
Seems like much of the North of England and Lowland Scotland are having the worst weather in years. According to the BBC, tens of thousands of homes are without power.
Thanks
Had a big storm last night - I live on a hill at the moment - so no floods luckily, but had gales which caused damage to trees , and caused an electricity cut for hours.

Then it went lovely

Cas x
Old Jan 9th 2005, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

ZimBabe is an unknown quantity at this point

I was working Thursday and Friday night 2200 to 0600 on Croydon Tramlink. It's normally very quiet and is a nice time to catch up on paperwork, monitor the CCTV cameras and generally just chill out (No managers hanging around watching you). At around 23:55 on Friday night we get calls from 2 of our drivers (We have a tree right across the tracks blocking east and westbound), so we now have two trams stuck with passengers going nowhere fast. The drivers have a go at moving massive tree but only manage to clear eastbound side, so that tram continues his journey. We made a call to the on-call engineers who luckily are out and about on the system. Then get a call from Driver to say that a couple of big burly passengers have got off tram and shifted tree onto footpath. Hooray for big burly passengers!!!!! Driver now continues his journey. Both trams were delayed by 15 minutes but it could have been so much worse. Engineers arrive and check overhead line and track to make sure its safe and then chop tree up and remove to place of safety. We get another phone call at 03:30 from the council saying theres another tree on track in the same location, my colleague takes a driver and goes to location to discover that some little scroats have placed a huge chunk of the tree back on the track!!!! Luckily all clear by the time first tram arrived at the scene.
I also worry about getting hit by falling trees in this type of weather, know it doesn't happen often but it's a recurring nightmare for me.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

cazz is on a distinguished road

Just got our electricity back on half an hour ago went off yesterday morning, We have just put the house on the market ready for our big move looked great, now we have lost about 20 tiles from the roof, the fence has blown down, we have a tree over in the garden oh yea we have a constant stream of water running over our newly laid tarmac drive (hope the water dosn't get under it) and more winds and rain forecast tonight eek!!! but just put the new's on and seen new footage of the wave what can you say, we are lucky we have our family around us.

Cazz
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

Originally Posted by TheCrone
At one point -on Saturday, I beleive, Carlisle was completely isolated and there was no way in or out. I know the train station was completely flooded and the local radio station here claimed that the entire place was inaccessible. Apparently the worst flooding in over 30 years.

Our leccy's been on an off all weekend

Hope everyone's come through it OK

Best regards,

Jamie
Old Jan 9th 2005, 7:51 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jamiem
At one point -on Saturday, I beleive, Carlisle was completely isolated and there was no way in or out. I know the train station was completely flooded and the local radio station here claimed that the entire place was inaccessible. Apparently the worst flooding in over 30 years.

Our leccy's been on an off all weekend

Hope everyone's come through it OK

Best regards,

Jamie
Blimey! Sorry to hear about all the devastation, folks.

Hope all are safe and that the power etc comes back on soon.

Cheers,
Anya.