UK Storage

Old Nov 21st 2004, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

sackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant futuresackofspuds has a brilliant future
Default UK Storage

Has anyone looked into putting their household goods into storage until they are committed to Oz? If so, I'm interested in costs. Is it as extortionate as I suspect? There seem to be a lot of self-storage places opening up so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile using one of them rather than the removalist's storage.

I guess we have about 900 cubic feet, according to my estimate on Excess Baggage's site (http://www.excess-baggage.com/volumeform.asp).

Just looked up a local self-storage place and 160 sq ft (14.9 sq mtrs) is £186.67 per month. They reckon that's enough for a 3 or 4 bed house.

Er, so now I just have to convert 160 sq ft to cu ft. The self storage space height is prob 8 ft so I guess that's 160 x 8 = 1,280 cu ft. At worst it's 8 ft high which is 960 cu ft.

This isn't cheap, but I can definitely see the attraction. Only problem is you'd need to take more than a suitcase each and taking small quantities would probably cost considerably more per cu ft than if you took 900 cu ft.

Comments please.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 1:42 am
owieb

Default Re: UK Storage

Originally Posted by sackofspuds
Has anyone looked into putting their household goods into storage until they are committed to Oz? If so, I'm interested in costs. Is it as extortionate as I suspect? There seem to be a lot of self-storage places opening up so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile using one of them rather than the removalist's storage.

I guess we have about 900 cubic feet, according to my estimate on Excess Baggage's site (http://www.excess-baggage.com/volumeform.asp).

Just looked up a local self-storage place and 160 sq ft (14.9 sq mtrs) is £186.67 per month. They reckon that's enough for a 3 or 4 bed house.

Er, so now I just have to convert 160 sq ft to cu ft. The self storage space height is prob 8 ft so I guess that's 160 x 8 = 1,280 cu ft. At worst it's 8 ft high which is 960 cu ft.

This isn't cheap, but I can definitely see the attraction. Only problem is you'd need to take more than a suitcase each and taking small quantities would probably cost considerably more per cu ft than if you took 900 cu ft.

Comments please.
We used the big yellow storage company http://www.thebigyellow.co.uk and put our stuff in there for about 10 months, until we could ship it all out to Perth (we couldn't afford to ship it when we left). I think we were paying about £120 a month for a 70sqft room. The height was about 9ft. Though different rooms have different heights.

When we decided to ship the removal company went straight to the unit and loaded up there.

When we shipped