Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension Support needed URGENTLY

UK State Pension Support needed URGENTLY

Old Mar 30th 2008, 5:49 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all
Default UK State Pension Support needed URGENTLY

An EDM (Early Day Motion) 1263 has been has been laid before the House of Commons by 9 MP’s.

Michael Connarty, Mr Humfrey Malins, Peter Bottomley, Jeremy Corbyn, Hywel Williams, Kate Hoey, Bob Russell, Bob Spink, Mark Durkan.

That this House is dismayed that the Government has not ceased the
practice of maintaining a discriminatory differential in UK state pensions,
dependent on the country in which the recipient resides; acknowledges that
the Government has stated that there is no legal reason to do so; and calls
upon the Government to cease the practice of freezing some overseas pensions
and to provide the 525,000 affected recipients resident abroad with pension
parity.

We need as many people as possible to e-mail their current or former MP’s requesting them to sign EDM 1263. If over 200 MP’s signatures can be obtained this can then be brought up at both Party Conferences.

Please ask as many of your friends and family to e-mail their MP’s saying that you/they wish them to sign EDM 1263 on your behalf.

You can check which MP’s have already signed at: http://tinyurl.com/2u8so3

A list of MP’s e-mail addresses can be found at:
http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alcm.cfm

Many thanks to all of you who contact their MP and lets see if we can get this stupid anomaly of Frozen Pensions changed.

Gillian
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:39 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension Support needed URGENTLY

Sent!

I don't hold out much hope though - all governments have blatently disregarded equitable pension provision for all expats and, as you know, the law lords - with one honourable exception - wouldn't come down in favour.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:04 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Thanks Wol. The more people who contact their MP's the better.

There are 525,000 people with frozen pensions who paid into their State Pension whilst working, what have the government done with the money?

When we were paying in were we told that if we moved to certain countries we would not receive our full pensions? Were we offered an alternative scheme to invest in that would.

At least if we keep plugging away at it something may happen.

Thanks for your support Wol.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 8:44 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray2gill
At least if we keep plugging away at it something may happen.

Thanks for your support Wol.
I'm in the same predicament, too <g>.

Has a date been set for the Carson appeal to the EU Human Rights commission?

Surely the EU *must* do something right sooner or later? <g>.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest, how do the pension people know you have left the UK if you still have your pension paid into a UK bank account?

Oh and good luck with the petition....
Old Mar 30th 2008, 9:53 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by louie
Just out of interest, how do the pension people know you have left the UK if you still have your pension paid into a UK bank account?

Sign it!

I would assume that if you don't tell the pension people you've left the UK then sooner or later you will be asked by the tax people why they haven't had a return from you.....
Old Mar 31st 2008, 4:23 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by louie

I know the tax office and the pensions office aren't linked. However, I certainly wouldn't like to be presented with a bill to repay 10 years over payment at a later date.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:48 am
Just Joined

Dawnie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ray2gill
I know the tax office and the pensions office aren't linked. However, I certainly wouldn't like to be presented with a bill to repay 10 years over payment at a later date.
On a different note, how about UK ex pats in NZ eligible for NZ govt super. The NZ govt deducts your UK Basic State Pension (BSP) from any NZ govt super because the legislation allows for social security benefits to be deducted from NZ govt Super. Surprise, surprise, the UK BSP is defined as a social security benefit. What a rip off! A warning here for UK pats, there is no point in paying Class 3 voluntary NI to keep your record topped up for something that the good old NZ govt is going to take off the Super they pay you - may not so Super!
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

Dawnie27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
Sent!

I don't hold out much hope though - all governments have blatently disregarded equitable pension provision for all expats and, as you know, the law lords - with one honourable exception - wouldn't come down in favour.
I don't hold out much hope either - no idea what the rationale behind it is, ex pats in the USA get the increase, and no doubt there is no-one that can put forward a credible reason. The rule is enshrined in legislation and that is where it will probably stay - but then, you know what they say about the law and asses. I am some 25 years away from UK State Pension Age but agree wholeheartedly, a big rip off.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dawnie27
I don't hold out much hope either - no idea what the rationale behind it is, ex pats in the USA get the increase, and no doubt there is no-one that can put forward a credible reason. The rule is enshrined in legislation and that is where it will probably stay - but then, you know what they say about the law and asses. I am some 25 years away from UK State Pension Age but agree wholeheartedly, a big rip off.
I believe one of the ludicrous things about it is that it *isn't* enshrined in legislation.

IIRC every year a bill goes forward to raise the pensions - *all* pensions - in accordance with "a" calculated inflation rate. (I put the "a" in quotes because the government has been fiddling the inflation figures to make them more acceptable) When this is passed, another motion is put forward to remove the indexation from pensions paid in those "naughty" countries - and this goes through on the nod since few MPs see it or have even heard about it. Thus is our legislation actioned. Puts one in mind of places like Zimbabwe and N Korea....
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:37 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by Dawnie27
On a different note, how about UK ex pats in NZ eligible for NZ govt super. The NZ govt deducts your UK Basic State Pension (BSP) from any NZ govt super because the legislation allows for social security benefits to be deducted from NZ govt Super. Surprise, surprise, the UK BSP is defined as a social security benefit. What a rip off! A warning here for UK pats, there is no point in paying Class 3 voluntary NI to keep your record topped up for something that the good old NZ govt is going to take off the Super they pay you - may not so Super!
You don't have to pay class 3 contributions - only the reduced class 2 ones.

Only 30 years contributions have to be paid now to obtain a full but frozen pension.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:45 am
The Brains

[QUOTE=Wol;6146512]I believe one of the ludicrous things about it is that it *isn't* enshrined in legislation.

Every year amotion is put forward to remove the indexation from pensions paid in those "naughty" countries - and this goes through on the nod since few MP's see it or have even heard about it.

This is precisely why everyone needs to contact their MP and tell them they want them to sign the petition. You can contact them by e-mail see my original post. Just enter your last postcode and your MP's name will come up.

The more support there is the better chance there is of getting this reversed.

Many thanks to all who have sent e-mails to their MP's and their support.

Gillian
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

sparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of lightsparkley23 is a glorious beacon of light

Just emailed my old MP and he said he will sign up for me. Though he did ask for my UK address as can only acton requests from those in his area. So put my old address where I am no longer registered to vote so not sure if this will make a difference
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 9:46 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sparkley23
Just emailed my old MP and he said he will sign up for me. Though he did ask for my UK address as can only acton requests from those in his area. So put my old address where I am no longer registered to vote so not sure if this will make a difference
You tell him that you are still "eligible" to vote. You can be put onto the electoral role at any time. Mind you, they make it virtually impossible to actually vote, because the papers are sent out with only a few days to get them back in! Unless you give a proxy to a resident friend.
Old Apr 3rd 2008, 5:33 am
The Brains

Originally Posted by sparkley23
You have the right to vote for 15 years after leaving the UK. Does he want your vote in the next election or not?

Many thanks sparkley. Another one on the list. It has grown quite a bit over the last week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.