Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension to OZ

UK State Pension to OZ

Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:50 am
Just Joined

fresno.36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK State Pension to OZ

RELOCATION: PHIL DOWN UNDER. have just watched this program and he said : You can receive your UK state pension in OZ, be careful, when you first draw it, as this rate exchange will be fixed for as long as you receive your UK pension. So if the rate does get better, we're stuffed as usual. Has anyone heard of this., Would it be better to make the exchange in UK and sent to OZ in AUD.

I'm trying to find some information on the OZ immigation web site, but no luck yet, will have to be a phone call. Can anyone help on this matter.
Bob
Old Feb 13th 2011, 12:04 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension to OZ

That doesn't sound right to me unless you are having it sent here directly. I wouldn't do that.

What is true is that your pension won't increase as it would if you remained in the UK.

I'd suggest getting your UK pension paid into a UK bank and then transferring as and when you want. You can do this easily and speedily on the the internet using one of the many internet transfer companies.

I do this, and have done now for five years with my occupational pension.

I use www.tranzfers.com

I don't think that the immigration department will be able to help you with a pension/tax matter and even if they do/will, you cannot trust the info that you will get on their helpline.

Also, your pension will be taxed in Australia but NOT in the UK. You need to inform UK (if you haven't already) that you have left or will be leaving the UK.

A.

Last edited by Sherlock Holmes; Feb 13th 2011 at 12:08 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

DaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to allDaveandLinda is a name known to all

Unfortunately Phil got it wrong. It is correct that when you leave the UK, if you are already drawing your pension, then it is frozen and you will not get the annual cost of living increases. If you are in Australia when you start drawing your state pension then you will get that amount fixed for life.

The exchange rate is another matter, which goes up or down and can affect the amount you receive in Aus $ on a monthly basis.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:12 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alistairboyle
That doesn't sound right to me unless you are having it sent here directly. I wouldn't do that.

What is true is that your pension won't increase as it would if you remained in the UK.

I'd suggest getting your UK pension paid into a UK bank and then transferring as and when you want. You can do this easily and speedily on the the internet using one of the many internet transfer companies.

I do this, and have done now for five years with my occupational pension.

I use www.tranzfers.com

I don't think that the immigration department will be able to help you with a pension/tax matter and even if they do/will, you cannot trust the info that you will get on their helpline.

Also, your pension will be taxed in Australia but NOT in the UK. You need to inform UK (if you haven't already) that you have left or will be leaving the UK.

A.
Based on that, can you not keep it taxed in UK??? Do you HAVE to get it taxed in Oz as part of foreign earnings? Seems that with the exchange rate then you'll get hit anyway.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:07 pm
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Based on that, can you not keep it taxed in UK??? Do you HAVE to get it taxed in Oz as part of foreign earnings? Seems that with the exchange rate then you'll get hit anyway.
No, even if you don't move the money across to Australia (say perhaps left it in the UK and then used it when you went back to visit) it is still world wide income and you will be taxed on it. However, there is some entitlement to an Australian aged pension if you are a citizen and I think that in general I would rather pay Australian tax rates than UK ones - especially on a lowish income. Aus pension is awarded based on your other assets and income.

I really don't know about UK state pension but there are offsets on UK occupational pensions in Australian tax rules.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:34 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

No, even if you don't move the money across to Australia (say perhaps left it in the UK and then used it when you went back to visit) it is still world wide income and you will be taxed on it. However, there is some entitlement to an Australian aged pension if you are a citizen and I think that in general I would rather pay Australian tax rates than UK ones - especially on a lowish income. Aus pension is awarded based on your other assets and income.

I really don't know about UK state pension but there are offsets on UK occupational pensions in Australian tax rules.
Hmmmm...so...if my UK Forces pension (thereby a occupational pension) is declared then I may get tax offset on it??
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:32 pm
221b Baker Street

Originally Posted by paddyo
Hmmmm...so...if my UK Forces pension (thereby a occupational pension) is declared then I may get tax offset on it??
I beleive so. I'd check with a tax accountant. My police pension benefits from an 8% offset.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:38 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

I beleive so. I'd check with a tax accountant. My police pension benefits from an 8% offset.
cool...something to think about if I stay!
Old Feb 14th 2011, 4:34 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The 8% is a convenient way to claim the UPP allowance. The "correct" way is to have a certified list of all the pension payments you have made during your working life, which *may* give a higher offset.

I did that with my company pension, but the state pension's so meagre that I just went with the 8% for it.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:31 am
Just Joined

fresno.36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone, many thanks for all your reply's. Disappointed with 'Phil' not being more specific. Anyway, been on the web and found some information about TAX (ugh!) as OZ has a Double Taxation treaty with the UK, it could be favourable to us, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm have a look.
Best of luck Bob
Old Feb 14th 2011, 10:59 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fresno.36
Hi everyone, many thanks for all your reply's. Disappointed with 'Phil' not being more specific. Anyway, been on the web and found some information about TAX (ugh!) as OZ has a Double Taxation treaty with the UK, it could be favourable to us, http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-leave-uk.htm have a look.
Best of luck Bob
I wouldn't get *too* excited. In general terms you will always pay the most heavily taxed regime's tax. If tax was to be paid in the UK and the Australian tax would have been lower you won't get the excess back. If the UK doesn't tax you you will pay the Australian tax anyway.

The "death" option begins to appear more reasonable....