Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK State Pension

UK State Pension

Old May 5th 2009, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK State Pension

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I think six months worth of pension payments will get you about fourpence a quarter !

Apparently it takes me up to 10 years in the UK workforce, which means I can take the minimum pension.

Can anyone please tell me if this is worth doing, and why or why not.
Old May 5th 2009, 12:29 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Have a look at this booklet - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/nico/ni38.pdf
Originally Posted by MartinLuther
The changes are for people who will receive their pension after 6 April 2010. Have a look at page 22 of this http://www.pensions.gov.uk/pdf/pm/pm2jan09.pdf

They changed the rules in about 2004/5(?) so that people working overseas could pay class 2. They did not make a big announcement about this. Have a look at the link provided by louie.
Thanks guys

They dont make it easy or simple do they? Seemingly contradictory info everywhere! Probably because its such fantastic value!
Old May 5th 2009, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Thanks guys

They dont make it easy or simple do they? Seemingly contradictory info everywhere! Probably because its such fantastic value!
Thats the problem its not simple at all. From what I can gather, if I take the UK pension, the Aus government just deducts that amount of my Australian one, which will already be compromised by my private superannuation.

Is there a way around this, IE: taking the pension in the UK or residing in europe/oseas for a certain period each year ?
Old May 5th 2009, 2:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yafm11
It is frozen to the level it is given to you when you reach retirement age. For instance next door neighbours were getting small pension from his working when he was a teenager in the 60's his wife also got a part pension when he died she got her pension upgraded without asking as she got the then level of widows pension.

When my husband reached retirement age after we had got here my pension I was already receiving was changed to his level as it was then a part of his pension not my own.
So much for the pension advice I was given when I left the UK then! That was in the innocent days when I believed the info given to me on govt helplines.
Old May 5th 2009, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a curly one for you guys - if I claim a UK pension,but I'm married to an Aussie, who obviously can't claim one - they can't treat me as a single person, cos I'm not, but equally they can't pay the married person's pension, cos he's not entitled?
Old May 5th 2009, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BristolUK
But that's quite a gain though. If it's 20 years, the rule change would turn about £50 into about £66 (current figures)...that's over 30% more.

In my case, when I left I expected about 73% but the new rule means it'll be 100%.

On current figures that's nearly £100 instead of £70. That extra £30 a week would more than pay my groceries here.

I'm viewing it as compensation for not getting the annual increases.
I did say it was a positive.

But you need to subtract 7% for extra year I have to wait to collect it.

Unfortunately to get this benefit I paid 300% more than if I'd been able to put that money into a private fund (to get the same benefit).

Last edited by MartinLuther; May 5th 2009 at 10:47 pm.
Old May 5th 2009, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Here's a curly one for you guys - if I claim a UK pension,but I'm married to an Aussie, who obviously can't claim one - they can't treat me as a single person, cos I'm not, but equally they can't pay the married person's pension, cos he's not entitled?
Here we go.

My wife is Chinese. Can she claim on my pension?
Yes, she can. As a married man and having paid your contributions, your wife (whatever her origin) can claim 60% of your single person's pension bearing in mind that you have both reached the age to be eligible for a pension.

My wife is eligible but I am not. Can I claim on her pension?
No, not at this point in time but with effect from April 5th, 2010 a husband will be able to claim 60% of his wife's single person's pension.

Which reminds me of a joke.

1 in every 6 people in this world is Chinese. Now, in my family there are six people which means one of them must be Chinese. There's Mum, Dad, me, Kevin, Peter and Lin Chu. I think it might be Kevin?
Old May 5th 2009, 10:48 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Apparently it takes me up to 10 years in the UK workforce, which means I can take the minimum pension.

Can anyone please tell me if this is worth doing, and why or why not.
Unless you're going to retire before next year then you don't need to make up to get the minimum pension. See my earlier reply to you.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:18 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Here we go.

My wife is Chinese. Can she claim on my pension?
Yes, she can. As a married man and having paid your contributions, your wife (whatever her origin) can claim 60% of your single person's pension bearing in mind that you have both reached the age to be eligible for a pension.

My wife is eligible but I am not. Can I claim on her pension?
No, not at this point in time but with effect from April 5th, 2010 a husband will be able to claim 60% of his wife's single person's pension.

Which reminds me of a joke.

1 in every 6 people in this world is Chinese. Now, in my family there are six people which means one of them must be Chinese. There's Mum, Dad, me, Kevin, Peter and Lin Chu. I think it might be Kevin?
So an Aussie, who has never lived in the UK, can claim on my UK pension? That just sounds crackers. Would make sense if we went home, but not if we are living here.
Thanks for the info anyway
Old May 6th 2009, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

Great thread this!

I had all but written off my UK state pension. I had just over 17 years of contributions before I came here 2 years ago.

So if I'm following what your all saying, I'll be entitled to something (under the current rules). Is it worth me paying further contributions? I'm thinking that paying another 13 years isn't worth it and too big a gamble.

So, do I just do nothing or should I be contacting someone to get a forecasts or change my address?

Think my wife might just fall short of the 11 years, would it be worth her making more contributions to get to the 11 years?

sorry for all the questions, I'm clueless when it comes to pensions.

showdan
Old May 6th 2009, 3:22 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
So an Aussie, who has never lived in the UK, can claim on my UK pension? That just sounds crackers. Would make sense if we went home, but not if we are living here.
Thanks for the info anyway
It's alright. You've paid for it. It's actually more like a super scheme than a gift of the state (even though most people think it is).

Not sure he can claim if you pop your clogs though!
Old May 6th 2009, 7:32 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Rob Morton-Jone;7517547]Looking for some help regarding the UK state pension.

Log onto the following site and download forms to request a pension forecast. That will tell you what you need to pay to obtain a full pension.

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/

If you are in full time employment and can prove it then you can pay class 2 contributions which are a lot less than class 3. Also you now only have to pay 30 years contributions instead of 42 years to qualify. Women who didn't work (took time out) as they where raising children can be credited with those years or some of them.

On the above site if you enter your date of birth the calculator tells you when you will be elegible to receive your state pension with all the revised rules which have been introduced.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:36 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by marie-claire
It will be frozen at that level even though your contributions will probably rise each year with inflation.
Hope this helps.
Current state pension is £92 per week plus SERPS if you paid it.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:42 am
The Brains

Default Re: UK State Pensions

FROZEN PENSIONS

Frozen pensions are being presented to the Court of Human Rights with the full panel of 17 judges on the 22nd September. The first ruling by 3 judges was overturned as they thought that the pensions were non-contributary (which of course they aren't) so this is now going to the full panel for a ruling.

So everyone keep their fingers crossed on the 22nd Sept and if successful hope that the UK Government stands by the ruling.
Old May 6th 2009, 7:50 am
The Brains

[QUOTE=MartinLuther;7544284].

Let me get this right - so you are saying when I claim my pension in November 2010 at 60 my husband can claim a pension through me until he reaches 65 in 2013.

Well I suppose what's good for the goose is good for the gander. In these days of equality why not? It sounds good to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.