Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Sky News on Foxtel?

UK Sky News on Foxtel?

Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Sky News on Foxtel?

In our Brisbane office they often have Sky News showing on one of the plasmas throughout the day for visitors and loafers like me etc etc

Today I noticed one of those "press the red button" type captions at the bottom of the screen and alongside it, it said "Sky News UK"

Am I correct in assuming that Foxtel offers you the ability of 'toggling' between Sky News (UK) and Sky News (Australia)?

I know they *do* sometimes flick to Sky News (UK) when Aussie news is presumably scarce, as I've seen Anna Botting and that smug Jeremy x bloke.

If so, is this 24x7?

Also, do they offer the same thing for Sky Sports News???

Alas, being poor, I may never be able to find out for myself
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:03 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Sky News on Foxtel?

Originally Posted by tictac
In our Brisbane office they often have Sky News showing on one of the plasmas throughout the day for visitors and loafers like me etc etc

Today I noticed one of those "press the red button" type captions at the bottom of the screen and alongside it, it said "Sky News UK"

Am I correct in assuming that Foxtel offers you the ability of 'toggling' between Sky News (UK) and Sky News (Australia)?

I know they *do* sometimes flick to Sky News (UK) when Aussie news is presumably scarce, as I've seen Anna Botting and that smug Jeremy x bloke.

If so, is this 24x7?

Also, do they offer the same thing for Sky Sports News???

Alas, being poor, I may never be able to find out for myself
If you press the red button, yes you can get UK news, though not sure why you would want to.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

just saw your post and yes it works
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
If you press the red button, yes you can get UK news, though not sure why you would want to.
I remember watching UK Sky News after the London Bombings, and again with the floods earlier this year. With lots of friends and family over there, I think its brilliant; keeps you in touch with it as it happens and lets you know who/where is affected. I have even been known to remove the remote from The Bloke at times like that and take over the TV (risky thing to do!)

We have 4 screens at work, all on different channels (on mute of course!), monitoring international news, weather reports etc. Rarely watched unless a major incodent is going on but you learn to keep half an eye on them for breaking news. We had a training session in the room today, and one lady who works from home came in with her kiddie, 14 months old. He just gazed in awe at the screens with his mouth open, it was so funny. You could almost read his mind...."WOW I'm gonna work here mum, FOUR teles to watch!"
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

tictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond reputetictac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
We had a training session in the room today, and one lady who works from home came in with her kiddie, 14 months old. He just gazed in awe at the screens with his mouth open, it was so funny. You could almost read his mind...."WOW I'm gonna work here mum, FOUR teles to watch!"
What time does Sesame Street come on?
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:11 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I watch Sky News UK every morning this way - you only get a smaller PIP screen (picture in picture) but I don't mind, it's good to get the news from the UK and watch the shitty weather. Better than Kochie and Mel anyway...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 10:17 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I remember watching UK Sky News after the London Bombings, and again with the floods earlier this year. With lots of friends and family over there, I think its brilliant; keeps you in touch with it as it happens and lets you know who/where is affected. I have even been known to remove the remote from The Bloke at times like that and take over the TV (risky thing to do!)
I take your point but anything that major is also on Australian news and all over the internet. For the newbies I think it is best to stop watching the UK news to help the transition / avoid homesickness.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

scotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to allscotlandtooz is a name known to all

Aus news has much more to keep you entertained anyway. My fav news article in my three weeks in Adelaide was - 4x4's are fastly rising as the most bought car in Aus. Followed by - Landrover falls off a cliff so huge, its incomprehensable why anyone would park near it. Great. UK news only makes you laugh when people make mistakes.

When we were there, obv. only for reccie, we found bbc online best place for up to date news.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by scotlandtooz
Aus news has much more to keep you entertained anyway. My fav news article in my three weeks in Adelaide was - 4x4's are fastly rising as the most bought car in Aus. Followed by - Landrover falls off a cliff so huge, its incomprehensable why anyone would park near it. Great. UK news only makes you laugh when people make mistakes.

When we were there, obv. only for reccie, we found bbc online best place for up to date news.
I watch the UK news on Sky just to laugh my arse off at the weather forecast