Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Savings A/c for non-UK residents ?

UK Savings A/c for non-UK residents ?

Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road
Question UK Savings A/c for non-UK residents ?

Anyone know any UK high interest savings accounts (preferably with online access) that are open to us once we have emigrated ??

Want to leave some ill-gotten gains in the UK for a while and all the top earning accounts say only open to UK residents.

Or is the answer to open here and not tell them when I go, just give them a UK address to forward mail to?? Could do this but won't get interest paid gross.

Any suggestions ?
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Savings A/c for non-UK residents ?

[QUOTE=sjn2003]Anyone know any UK high interest savings accounts (preferably with online access) that are open to us once we have emigrated ??

Want to leave some ill-gotten gains in the UK for a while and all the top earning accounts say only open to UK residents.

Or is the answer to open here and not tell them when I go, just give them a UK address to forward mail to?? Could do this but won't get interest paid gross.

Any suggestions ? [/QUOTE
ask your bank to send you a form to declare yourself non -resident. This enables you to be paid interest in gross. You can tell them u live in Oz, no problem.
I am with first direct - online and brilliant!
Old Oct 7th 2004, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=salonit]
Originally Posted by sjn2003
Anyone know any UK high interest savings accounts (preferably with online access) that are open to us once we have emigrated ??

Any suggestions ? [/QUOTE
ask your bank to send you a form to declare yourself non -resident. This enables you to be paid interest in gross. You can tell them u live in Oz, no problem.
I am with first direct - online and brilliant!

Yeah but they don't do a brilliant rate of interest, nor do the other high street banks.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:29 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Any suggestions ?
Australian residents are liable for tax on worldwide income, so you'll still have to pay tax even if you leave money in the UK.

Many UK banks no longer accept non-resident declarations. They will quite happily put an overseas address on an already-existing account, but will still deduct 20% tax. You can usually claim this back from the Inland Revenue.

What banks do you say are refusing to accept savings accounts from non-UK residents?

The Channel Islands and Isle of Man branches of UK banks will pay interest gross, but last time I checked the rates tend to be a bit lower than in onshore UK accounts unless you really have a fortune to invest.

Jeremy
Old Oct 8th 2004, 12:33 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Any suggestions ?
You can't have any sort of ISA account (either type, for obvious reasons) but other than that, there shouldn't be a problem? Like Jeremy says, if you already hold the account then changing the address isn't a problem, it just needs to be put into writing at the branch the account is held at.
Old Oct 8th 2004, 3:29 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen this site:
http://www.moneyfacts.co.uk/

In Australia, consider Citibank's Online Cash Manager account, paying 5.40%:
http://www.citibank.com.au

Others have already commented on the tax issues ... I'm not sure why gross paying interest is of importance given that you will be subject to tax in either the UK or in Australia ...

Best regards.

Any suggestions ?
Old Oct 8th 2004, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Australian residents are liable for tax on worldwide income, so you'll still have to pay tax even if you leave money in the UK.

Many UK banks no longer accept non-resident declarations. They will quite happily put an overseas address on an already-existing account, but will still deduct 20% tax. You can usually claim this back from the Inland Revenue.

What banks do you say are refusing to accept savings accounts from non-UK residents?

The Channel Islands and Isle of Man branches of UK banks will pay interest gross, but last time I checked the rates tend to be a bit lower than in onshore UK accounts unless you really have a fortune to invest.

Jeremy

Of the best buy accounts I tried Sainsbury, Alliance & Leicester and ING Direct and they all said no Think I will just have to set it up before I go and not tell them when I leave !

Wanted gross interest Alan purely for cashflow purposes. Fully aware that I will have to pay tax on it in Oz. Cheers for the link - Moneyfacts best buys are the same as those I have already tried though.
Old Oct 9th 2004, 1:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Of the best buy accounts I tried Sainsbury, Alliance & Leicester and ING Direct and they all said no Think I will just have to set it up before I go and not tell them when I leave !
Usually you do need to be UK resident to get a credit card, although most banks will let you keep one if you go to live overseas.

It sounds unusual for a *savings* account to be similarly restricted - I'm just wondering if your question was beyond the limit of the people working at the call-centre front line and whether speaking to a manager/supervisor might have been more productive.

Jeremy