UK Revisited

Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

S J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant futureS J Jackson has a brilliant future
Default UK Revisited

Having been in Australia for 2 years we have returned for a visit. Not a long time really before revisiting the UK but a family wedding (Daughter invited to be a bridesmaid) plus husband has elderly parents and would rather visit them whilst we still can rather than if we get that dreaded phonecall.
Well as it turned out, wedding cancelled!! So that one a no go but as tickets were booked thought we may as well go ahead with it as plenty of family and friends to visit.
My husband was always the one hanging back in his wish to move to Oz and I really love it (we are on the Sunshine Coast an hour North of Brisbane). I would rather have visited the UK in winter to remind him of how British weather is for the majority of the year!! However here we are in August - BBQing in the pouring rain and high wind!! under a tent!! Did not really venture out much - well the cricket was on and then the football (Chelsea and Wigan). This is our second BBQ and the 2nd BBq in the rain - bummer!! Our nieces 5th party yesterday was also a bit of a washout - mind you they still enjoyed it.

We have really enjoyed catching up with friends in the flesh - we email all our friends but face-to-face is great.
Even in two years we have noticed changes in the town we lived (Peterborough) - it feels very different!! Friends say there is a lot of trouble between different immigrant factions - gang fights. Thet say they do not feel safe to walk alone a night anymore whereas 2 or 3 years ago they would have had no problems doing so. Nephew is a fireman - they seem to be spending an excessive amount of time putting out car fires just lately.
We went to Devon - it was beautiful countryside - breathtaking in fact and beautifully green but spent quite a bit of time in traffic getting about to visit places and £5 to park in many of the seaside towns - ouch!!
Went to Mablethorpe (Linconshire Seaside town) - could not walk on the pavement as it was soooo busy - freezing cold!! Beach looked uninviting and sea looked brown (North Sea) and it was freezing cold. Few people on the beach - most in amusement arcades and in queues for hot drinks and fish and chips. Still I got a great pair af Adidas trainers for only £25 so well pleased!! Bumper cars £2 a ride ($5) so we did not stay on the funfair for long!!
People chatty and friendly - even met a guy who coached football around the corner from where we live in the queue at the supermarket. Keep forgetting to pack my shopping in the supermarket cos am so used to it being done for me now!!
Everything seems expensive - petrol, meals out, drinks etc. Will be glad to get back earning some money for when my credit card bill comes in!!

My daughter who is now 13 is missing her Aussie friends and fights with me for the computer to keep in touch with them! I think she is realising that Australia is a good place to live and that she has some great friends.
We are off to Manchester this week to visit my Dad and old school friends - also planning a trip to Alton Towers - my favourite theme park ever!!
Missing Oz already and only been here 2 weeks - even hubby admitting for the first time that he is beginning to appreciate what we have in Australia more now that we are back visiting BLighty!!
I know you cannot replace the friends that you grew up with or family but with occassional visits back to the UK( and of course visits from family and friends to Oz ) it is important to maintain friendships and keep up with family BUT Oz is a great environment in which to live and bring up a family. When in Australia we tend only to remember the things we really liked and our friends but forget other less desireable memories. The countryside is beautiful and the people are great but I cant wait to get back (applying for Aussie citizenship upon return!!)
SJJ
Old Aug 15th 2005, 8:48 am
On the Dark Side :-)

Mrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond reputeMrs Jackaroo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Revisited

Great post - thanks for sharing it with us!
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:00 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

I'm going back for a month next month and am hoping to have the same feelings as you.

Thanks for the post and anjoy the rest of your time
Kala
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:08 am
yer twistin mi melons man

johanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nicejohanne is just really nice

Good post there ,that bobby brown sea reminds me of Blackpool and seeing kids swim in it with shite floating past their heads, yuck.

I have family living up in Oldham and hopefully they will be back for another visit soon you cant beat seeing your family and friends in the flesh like you said..

Av a gud un while you can and have a steak and kidney pudding, chips and mushy peas for me...

Johanne
Old Aug 15th 2005, 9:55 am
BLC

This is a real help to those that are feeling a bit down and homesick in Australia, not saying UK is crap, Oz is great, just that it shows how your life moves on and how you can appreciate what you have wherever you are in the world.

B

Old Aug 15th 2005, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Ninijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the roughNinijon is a jewel in the rough

Great thread, very interesting to read. I too grew up in Peterborough and went back recently, found it had changed loads, was very thankful to be out of there. My husband and I are moving to Mel on 9th September and are so excited, reading your thread was so inspiring. Big thanks
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice65 million is just really nice

Weve only been here since December 04, and also planning a trip to the UK when we get our Ozzie passports in just under 2 yrs time.

I think we will feel the same, sad to say but i really couldnt bare to live in England again (unless it was Cornwall) the rest well, er no thanks.

Like it just where I am, this is zillions better than Leicester thank you!

regards,
65 million.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

Fantastic post

Glad to see some positive comments as there have been lots of negatives lately on here.

Good luck with your citizenship.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:07 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

What is it about Peterborough people going to Australia I have met 2 families doing it and seen 3 others on here too.
Old Aug 15th 2005, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

jaguaruk will become famous soon enoughjaguaruk will become famous soon enough

Hi,

We still live in Peterborough and we are presently waiting patiently for our visa's so that we can also leave. Nothing against Peterborough though, it's still a great place to live.

Ken.