Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK in recession - so Oz is not???

UK in recession - so Oz is not???

Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:48 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future
Default UK in recession - so Oz is not???

I keep reading all the posts about the UK digging itself into a recession, but it`s hard to believe. Friends over there don`t seem to have noticed anything changing - whereas over here (where apparently, the economy is "booming" according to a lot of sources) shops are permanently having sales, it`s all X% of this, X% of that.

Everything is advertised as "Cheap" or "lowest prices" etc. etc. - Surely if the Australian economy is booming, then there wouldn`t be a need to discount so heavily?

I know the housing market around Brisbane is still booming, but it`s not just house prices that keep a country`s economy going is it.

No doubt someone can enlighten me...
Old Apr 4th 2003, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

NinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK in recession - so Oz is not???

Originally posted by pommiesheila
I keep reading all the posts about the UK digging itself into a recession, but it`s hard to believe. Friends over there don`t seem to have noticed anything changing - whereas over here (where apparently, the economy is "booming" according to a lot of sources) shops are permanently having sales, it`s all X% of this, X% of that.

Everything is advertised as "Cheap" or "lowest prices" etc. etc. - Surely if the Australian economy is booming, then there wouldn`t be a need to discount so heavily?

I know the housing market around Brisbane is still booming, but it`s not just house prices that keep a country`s economy going is it.

Are they really discounted prices? - could it be a marketing ploy?

I found Aus a pretty lousy place to shop - especially after Dubai, Spore and HK. Prices were over inflated and quality was poor.
When we live there, I plan to do most of my shopping (clothes..shoes...non essentials etc etc) on holidays overseas, If I can help it.

Nina
Old Apr 4th 2003, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

pommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant futurepommiesheila has a brilliant future

Originally posted by NinaU
Are they really discounted prices? - could it be a marketing ploy?

I found Aus a pretty lousy place to shop - especially after Dubai, Spore and HK. Prices were over inflated and quality was poor.
When we live there, I plan to do most of my shopping (clothes..shoes...non essentials etc etc) on holidays overseas, If I can help it.

Nina
Yes, Oz is a VERY LOUSY place to shop - I`m not a particular fan of shopping at the best of times, but the quality here is atrocious (most of the clothes are imported from Malaysian sweat shops) and the range/choice is VERY limited.

As far as the marketing ploy is concerned, not sure about that - I think the average Aussie is just struggling to get by and any chance of saving 10% on a purchase will be snapped up!!!
Old Apr 4th 2003, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Shops here dismal, probably have to have sales to sell the out of date, expensive, limited range of rubbish they sell.

Took me 7 years to find dining chairs I liked, then it took me 5 months to get them in, fabric faulty so further 3 months to recover.

Girls who like shopping should not be in OZ.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 6:30 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by dotty
Shops here dismal, probably have to have sales to sell the out of date, expensive, limited range of rubbish they sell.

Took me 7 years to find dining chairs I liked, then it took me 5 months to get them in, fabric faulty so further 3 months to recover.

Finally twigged?
Old Apr 4th 2003, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

This news is not good to a shopper like myself. No Next what will a girl do.

footie chick
Old Apr 4th 2003, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

I think the average Aussie is just struggling to get by and any chance of saving 10% on a purchase will be snapped up!!!
good grief - i tend to shop when prices are 70% off - otherwise i dont!!!. do you get these kind of sales in aus at all?
All the big stores here have good sales twice a year. and the variety /choice is awesome.

Nina

Last edited by NinaU; Apr 4th 2003 at 7:10 am.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:04 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Everythings relative to the targets and goals a country sets itself. If it targets 1% unemployment then 2% is a terrible recession, if it targets 10% then 5% is boom time. Suggest you take a look at some of the real figures and you'll answer your own question.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dotty

I have since decided to take my entire household stuff (i mean each and everything - furniture, electronic, pots and pans) with us.
anything worth leaving behind ??

Nina
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:24 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

I have since decided to take my entire household stuff (i mean each and everything - furniture, electronic, pots and pans) with us.
anything worth leaving behind ??

Nina
Australia.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Megalania
Australia.
Very funny. Actully most of my stuff is new (except furniture which is antique) and I would get nothing if I sell them here.

Nina
Old Apr 4th 2003, 9:15 am
Banned

Very funny. Actully most of my stuff is new (except furniture which is antique) and I would get nothing if I sell them here.

Nina
Bring a few extra saleble antiques if you can get them for a good price, advertise locally any you do not need. Mid priced stuff is easier to sell. Unusual but useful English oak pieces are sought after by many.
Old Apr 4th 2003, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Apr 4th 2003, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

HeatherS is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by footie chick
This news is not good to a shopper like myself. No Next what will a girl do.

footie chick

What do you mean NO NEXT ??????!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 5th 2003, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by HeatherS
What do you mean NO NEXT ??????!!!!!!!!
No NEXT ...............Instead you have ' DAVID JONES'

No MEXX, No M&S

Nina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.