Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Quick Question?

UK Quick Question?

Old Apr 1st 2002, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default UK Quick Question?

We have several Oz friends living back in the UK, they seem to quote very high wages which I often wonder if I should be taking with a pinch of salt. Am I right in disbelieving the following.

1. Agency Nurses 15 pound an hour?
2. Carpenters 15 to 20 pound an hour?
3. Private house cleaners 10 pound an hour?

Talking London and surrounds here. I have looked at job websites but often no pay printed or if is its in annual salary not hourly casual employment.

They keep going back to the Uk so I do wonder. ?? Our construction mate flys home twice a year so he must be making it somewhere. Ta Dotty
Old Apr 1st 2002, 6:10 am
Dugongidae Member

dugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura aboutdugongs has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: UK Quick Question?

salaries in the UK particularly contract wages are far higher than in Oz.

Unemployment rates in Uk have fallen to extremely low levels about 3% at present and as full employment levels were reached abour 2 years ago this has increased salaries as employers compete for quality workers.

the attraction of the Uk for ozzies is also the langage, uk is fairly tolerant of migrant workers and the strength of the pounds vs ozzie. at times you could buy 3 ozzie dollars for 1 pound and that was excellent value.

have to remember that cost of living in UK is far higher than Oz and that is why you tend to get huge numbers of young ozzies living in a grotty house simply to keep the housing cost down so they can save money to travel or bring home.

i think the attraction will fade if the ozzie dollar increases and/or the pound falls with threatened euro referendum coming.
Old Apr 2nd 2002, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Lynn-ann is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn,t know if this is true in London, but you would probably need to earn this to live there.

I manage an engineering company 40 miles from london and the rates for skilled machine setters in the area is around £7.50p per hour. House cleaners would earn around £4.50p per hour.
Carpenters and Plumbers around £8.00p per hour.

I hope this gives a slightly truer picture.

Just to put a little more perspective on it. To rent a 3 bedroom house privately in our area costs around £650 per month.

Vaughan
Old Apr 2nd 2002, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

lmaynard is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussies and Kiwis on the big OE tend to be a little ecomonical with the truth regarding salaries. Big pinch of salt needed...