Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK qualified personal trainers/gym instructors

UK qualified personal trainers/gym instructors

Old Nov 22nd 2009, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default UK qualified personal trainers/gym instructors

My husband is a UK qualified personal trainer, gym instructor, spinning instructor etc. and would like to begin work in the fitness industry in Australia. He sent his qualifications off to the Queensland Government to be assessed but they came back saying that they only assess courses which took more than 2 years to complete (which his was not). Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Any advice on how he can proceed?

Thanks!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

richie-318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK qualified personal trainers/gym instructors

Hi Gilly

Can I ask a few questions about your partners qualifications.I'm in the UK too with spin and gym level 2 on Reps.

I'm looking to get up to level 3 with a PT course either here or in OZ. In Oz they appear to do a short course and was hoping to work at the same time. Not sure if this will work out as not sure if they are CRICOS courses.

Has your hubby got anywhere with getting his skills assessed or any pointers for those thinking about going down this route.

Thanks

Richie
Old Dec 1st 2009, 6:42 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK qualified personal trainers/gym instructors

Here, PT's require only a Cert IV level of qualification. A Cert III qualification is a fitness instructor. If you were to study these full time they would take 6 months each. There is a diploma of fitness which is a full time 2 year course, if you have a cert IV then this is reduced to 1 year through RPL.

Since I think you are here in Australia already, what it may mean doing is obtaining a Cert IV in Fitness through RPL. For example :

http://fitnation.com.au/index.php/pe...ertificate-IV/

The advantage of this is that he will have an Australian qualification. The disadvantage is that it will cost about $300.