British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Qualifications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-qualifications-686887/)

LerbiBhoy Sep 25th 2010 4:32 pm

UK Qualifications

Hello everyone, I am an Electrical Engineer with a BEng in Electrical Power Engineering. I am also a member of the IET and would like to know if my qualifications are recognised in Australia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

AndrewMarilyn Sep 25th 2010 4:55 pm

Re: UK Qualifications

My British Degree in Civil Engineering and professional Quals are recognised, so I can't imagine why yours wouldn't be.

LerbiBhoy Sep 25th 2010 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 8875147)
My British Degree in Civil Engineering and professional Quals are recognised, so I can't imagine why yours wouldn't be.

Mine is only a 3 year degree and does not have the 4th year (Hons). I read somewhere that it would have to be a 4 year degree to be recognised.

AndrewMarilyn Sep 25th 2010 4:59 pm

I doubt it. Mine is a 3 year degree too. Don't worry!

LerbiBhoy Sep 25th 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 8875155)

Thanks

LerbiBhoy Sep 25th 2010 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewMarilyn (Post 8875155)

Did you have to get assessed by Engineers Australia? If so what was the process?

Dreamy Sep 25th 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by LerbiBhoy (Post 8875226)
Did you have to get assessed by Engineers Australia? If so what was the process?

If you have a degree from one of the countries signed up to the various 'Accords' its a quite straight forward process - fill in the form, get certified copies of your degree and the transcripts and send them the money.

If its not from one of the associate countries, its more complicated

International Accords

scrubbedexpat020 Sep 25th 2010 11:35 pm

If your course is listed under Washington Accord then no need for Engineers Australia assessment to prove equivalence.

http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/acad/search.aspx

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...1-B905AFFABA41

LerbiBhoy Sep 26th 2010 9:07 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 8875683)
If your course is listed under Washington Accord then no need for Engineers Australia assessment to prove equivalence.

http://www.engc.org.uk/registration/acad/search.aspx

http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au...1-B905AFFABA41

Thanks mate, found it on the engineering council and its accredited by the IET so don't need further assessment. That's one thing out the way, many more hurdles to come i'm sure.

scrubbedexpat020 Sep 26th 2010 10:20 am

When you apply for a job put the (Hons) after your degree because Hons in Aus is an extra year (4 not 3) and is special.

In the UK you just use BEng because nobody uses the (Hons). Here, it's BEng(Hons) as it differentiates you.

What's the difference?

Aus 3 year degree is course-work with no research element.

You do an extra year of research to get Hons. The output is a 15,000 word dissertation. Not many students do the extra year with those that do using it to get onto a PhD or get 'the job' with an investment bank or mega-employer.

LerbiBhoy Sep 26th 2010 10:27 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 8876413)
When you apply for a job put the (Hons) after your degree because Hons in Aus is an extra year (4 not 3) and is special.

In the UK you just use BEng because nobody uses the (Hons). Here, it's BEng(Hons) as it differentiates you.

What's the difference?

Aus 3 year degree is course-work with no research element.

You do an extra year of research to get Hons. The output is a 15,000 word dissertation. Not many students do the extra year with those that do using it to get onto a PhD or get 'the job' with an investment bank or mega-employer.

Its the same here, 3 year is the BEng and 4 year for the BEng(Hons). I have only done the 3 year degree though. I done it as a mature student having had over 10 years engineering industry experience (couldnt afford the fourth year). If they check my degree they will see that it doesn't have the honours.

Drell Sep 26th 2010 6:42 pm

generally speaking (there are some exceptions but i'm being general here) a 3 year UK degree is a better standard of degree than a 3 year Australian degree, when a student from Australia applies for PG courses in the UK, if the Uni is a good UK university they will insist in either a 3 year concentrated honors from Australia or a 4 year degree from australia so if you have a 3 year degree from UK don't worry- you're degree will often be of a higher standard.

JAJ Sep 26th 2010 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 8875548)
If you have a degree from one of the countries signed up to the various 'Accords' its a quite straight forward process - fill in the form, get certified copies of your degree and the transcripts and send them the money.

More straightforward IF the degree is accredited in its home country ... many British universities are now offering unaccredited engineering degrees. How they get away with it is unclear.

Dreamy Sep 27th 2010 12:44 am

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8877675)
More straightforward IF the degree is accredited in its home country ... many British universities are now offering unaccredited engineering degrees. How they get away with it is unclear.

It was only after I'd posted that I remembered we'd had to do the whole 'transcript' thing because Himself didn't have a formal degree, but his HNC(?HND? The whole initial thing passes me by) was done at a time when the work was equivalent to a bachelor's degree, so, once he got confirmation from the Engineering Council in the UK, he came under the Sydney Accord.

Saved having to do all that career episode malarky, for which we were truly grateful :)

KJCherokee Sep 27th 2010 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 8877740)
It was only after I'd posted that I remembered we'd had to do the whole 'transcript' thing because Himself didn't have a formal degree, but his HNC(?HND? The whole initial thing passes me by) was done at a time when the work was equivalent to a bachelor's degree, so, once he got confirmation from the Engineering Council in the UK, he came under the Sydney Accord.

Saved having to do all that career episode malarky, for which we were truly grateful :)

I just had an HND when I arrived here in 1983 - to get membership of IEAust (essential if you want to get a position as an engineer*) I had to get a full, certified, CV & work experience from my previous employers in the UK. I am now CPEng and RPEQ.

* Actually not quite true - you have to be eligible for membership and a degree gives you that.