Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Qualifications

UK Qualifications

Old Dec 7th 2009, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default UK Qualifications

Hi all,

I am a mum of three little ones and I am looking to the future and know that I need and would like to return to further education here in Australia.

I have 5 GCSE's (A-C) in the Maths, English, Geography and Science x2 but I have no idea how this is viewed here - WA.

If I'd like to go to university in the UK I would have to do A-levels. What do GCSE's convert to here? If a course requires you to have passed yr12 what is that level in the UK and how do you bridge the gap?

I have googled but I'm still not clear.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking into teaching assistant training and teacher training both in UK and Australia.
Old Dec 7th 2009, 5:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Qualifications

GCSEs really convert to nothing here but most universities have some sort of bridging course for mature entrants http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/underg...cademic/mature so you may not need to do year 12
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi all,

I am a mum of three little ones and I am looking to the future and know that I need and would like to return to further education here in Australia.

I have 5 GCSE's (A-C) in the Maths, English, Geography and Science x2 but I have no idea how this is viewed here - WA.

If I'd like to go to university in the UK I would have to do A-levels. What do GCSE's convert to here? If a course requires you to have passed yr12 what is that level in the UK and how do you bridge the gap?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking into teaching assistant training and teacher training both in UK and Australia.
As previously mentioned GCSE's don't exsist here as there are no formal exams taken before Yr 12 which are equivalent to "A" levels. However. I would be suprised that as a mature student you couldn't get a place at a TAFE. It will depend on what sort of course you want to do. For uni courses you may need to do a bridging course or a Yr 12 equivalent, possibly at somewhere like "Taylors college". I think there is one in Perth, but I could be wrong there.
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

If I'd like to go to university in the UK I would have to do A-levels.
If you want to go to university in the UK, you do not necessarily need to do A-levels. For a lot of uni degrees, especially in the humanities, you just need to do (and pass) an "Access" course. (And it's the same in Australia).

Obviously, they wouldn't let you do a Maths degree or study Medicine with just an "Access" course under your belt. But - as I said - for many uni degrees that's all you need if you are a very mature student.

[That's why I put *you* in bold because this just applies to you personally - due to your age.]

The thing to do is look at the uni and the course you want to study, then see what the entry requirements are for mature students. This may not necessarily be listed on their website, but you may have to phone them.

Unis these days are very flexible when it comes to mature students - they want you to succeed .
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:10 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thanks in advance.

There many ways to go to some universities as a mature student without having to go back to school. In WA, check out ECU and Curtin.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 12:59 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

I only did a quick google but I found this:

Mature Students at UWA

Hope that helps (I'm getting in early work for the most helpful poster poll next year)
Old Dec 10th 2009, 2:45 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.studyat.uwa.edu.au/refere...ntee/gce__gcse

Maths and English only. Good start.

Ian
Old Dec 10th 2009, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I did the STAT test for mature age entry (anyone over about 24 is considered mature age) on that UWA link. You can get a practise book to help prepare for the test. Online MENSA or IQ tests can also prepare you. I got into the degree I wanted and am now doing postgrad study. It's tough going with kids, house, everything else, but worth it in the end.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HelenTD
I did the STAT test for mature age entry (anyone over about 24 is considered mature age) on that UWA link. You can get a practise book to help prepare for the test. Online MENSA or IQ tests can also prepare you. I got into the degree I wanted and am now doing postgrad study. It's tough going with kids, house, everything else, but worth it in the end.
Anyone over 21 is Marure Age for University, and yes I would say do the STAT Test, It’s a Multiple Choice one and a Written English one, both very easy, you do it in 1 day and it can get you straight into most Unis (Not all Unis in Australia accept it).