Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK PS3, camcorders etc on OZ tv's

UK PS3, camcorders etc on OZ tv's

Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

sevenofnine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK PS3, camcorders etc on OZ tv's

Im sure many have taken UK Sony games consoles and camcorders etc and hooked then up to an Ozzie TV. Whilst I understand both countries use PAL they use different variations of PAL. Has anyone experienced any compatibility problems ?

Cheers.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future
Default Re: UK PS3, camcorders etc on OZ tv's

Originally Posted by sevenofnine
Im sure many have taken UK Sony games consoles and camcorders etc and hooked then up to an Ozzie TV. Whilst I understand both countries use PAL they use different variations of PAL. Has anyone experienced any compatibility problems ?

Cheers.
My ps2 worked fine on oz tv, but i have not seen too many tv's with scart inputs the sony tv we bought does not have scart inputs just the yellow,white n red composit inputs, s video or hdmi. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:26 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nik04
My ps2 worked fine on oz tv, but i have not seen too many tv's with scart inputs the sony tv we bought does not have scart inputs just the yellow,white n red composit inputs, s video or hdmi. Hope this helps.
Go to Dick Smith's here in Australia or Tandy in the UK (before you leave) and pick up a couple of "SCART to RCA" or "RCA to SCART" convertors.

Remember that SCART was pretty much a European thing (it used to be called a "Euro Socket"). Almost all devices in the rest of the world just used the Red, Yellow and White RCA sockets.

If you have a device which only has a SCART cable (don't think I have ever even seen on in the UK apart from Sky) then I would suggest that you look for a replacement cable as it will make live much easier for you.

Out of interest one of the few devices here in Australia that used SCART was the original Foxtel unit, mainly because it was the same hardware used by Sky in the UK rebranded as Foxtel.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

sevenofnine is an unknown quantity at this point

I will be using HDMI connections.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 10:59 pm
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

PAL is the video signal. So you'll get a picture. The audio signal that comes with radio transmissions (the sound carried on the UHF and VHF signals used to transmit TV pictures) is different. But unless you use the RF (aerial) connection there is no problem. Sound is handled the same everywhere if you use RCA or digital sound. I think most TVs sold in Australa now handle both PAL and NTSC. Australia is too small a market to make specific sets for.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

nik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant futurenik04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sevenofnine
I will be using HDMI connections.
no probs then
Old Jan 1st 2009, 11:18 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that the PS3 DVD player is region locked.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bigAPE
dvd is locked but blu ray is the same region http://bluray.liesinc.net/index.php?page=info
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Yep ours will only play region 2+4