Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Provisional Licence Swap in NSW

UK Provisional Licence Swap in NSW

Old Jul 21st 2006, 12:43 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Provisional Licence Swap in NSW

Anyone know if you can swap a UK provisional for a NSW Learner's licence or if you have to do the knowledge test first? My missus needs one for her lessons.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:56 am
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: UK Provisional Licence Swap in NSW

Originally Posted by Hutch
Anyone know if you can swap a UK provisional for a NSW Learner's licence or if you have to do the knowledge test first? My missus needs one for her lessons.
Yes they will swap BUT you have to do the Knowledge test as well. Anybody who swaps any license will have to do the Knowledge test.

12+ Years on a full UK licenses with no crashes and I still had to do it. Check out. www.rta.nsw.gov.au for futher details.

Also note that you will have to go on red and Green P's just like an Aussie learner, which comes with restrictions.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 1:59 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Should be no sweat though, mostly common sense imo.
You can sit practice tests on line at the website given by shorrock.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:06 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shorrock
Yes they will swap BUT you have to do the Knowledge test as well. Anybody who swaps any license will have to do the Knowledge test.

12+ Years on a full UK licenses with no crashes and I still had to do it. Check out. www.rta.nsw.gov.au for futher details.

Also note that you will have to go on red and Green P's just like an Aussie learner, which comes with restrictions.
I didn't have to do a knowledge test. It was a straight swap - they didn't even hole punch my old UK one. The wife's currently swotting up on her online knowledge.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Should be no sweat though, mostly common sense imo.
You can sit practice tests on line at the website given by shorrock.
Just thought I would say:-

Yes, I agree, most of it is common sense, but some road signs, parking margins, breaking distances and give way rules are not and they are a prominent part of the QLD written test. Also being under pressure to get so many right to pass, doesn't help either, especially if your mind just goes blank!!

If you are a as cool as a cucumber and fly thru any tests- then you/she should be fine

Practice tests on-line, rules vary from state to state so be careful.

Dont be fooled by, its common sense, since living in Cairns, I have known quite a few people you have been driving in the UK for YEARS and have failed the written test 2-3 times before passing!

Food for thought eh

Get the local book thats what I say! Got me hubby, me and our eldest son thru first time!

Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:20 am

I didn't have to do a knowledge test. It was a straight swap - they didn't even hole punch my old UK one. The wife's currently swotting up on her online knowledge.
They changed the rules some time back maybe 18 months or more ago. You used to have to sit test regardless of holding a full UK licence, but then took this barrier away. If i remember rightly this was the case 3 years back or so, then they introduced tests for all.
I think it is a good idea to test people, cos it proves that you understand the local rules, regs and road signs that may differ from where your licence originates.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Bix da Boss
Get the local book thats what I say! Got me hubby, me and our eldest son thru first time!

How is the old fella? Haven't seen him around in ages.
Got him on a short leash?
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

How is the old fella? Haven't seen him around in ages.
Got him on a short leash?

Nah, we have had our bestest friends from the UK staying with us for the last 3 weeks, no time to rant on here m8 Had the mot BRILLIANT time with them!

Was gonna start a thread today abt how I felt when they left on Wednesday but didn't want to upset anybody

He's still alive and kicking like the lion he is so dont fret

Gill
X
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:31 am

Nah, we have had our bestest friends from the UK staying with us for the last 3 weeks, no time to rant on here m8 Had the mot BRILLIANT time with them!

Was gonna start a thread today abt how I felt when they left on Wednesday but didn't want to upset anybody

He's still alive and kicking like the lion he is so dont fret

Gill
X
Great! I know how you must be feeling about them leaving.
Send him an "ello from topher".
Ta, Chris.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Great! I know how you must be feeling about them leaving.
Send him an "ello from topher".
Ta, Chris.
"HELLO" from the Lion

He's cleaning the car at the mo - I was gonna do it but hey - what are men for?

Have a good weekend
Old Jul 21st 2006, 2:55 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I would say:-

Yes, I agree, most of it is common sense, but some road signs, parking margins, breaking distances and give way rules are not and they are a prominent part of the QLD written test. Also being under pressure to get so many right to pass, doesn't help either, especially if your mind just goes blank!!

If you are a as cool as a cucumber and fly thru any tests- then you/she should be fine

Practice tests on-line, rules vary from state to state so be careful.

Dont be fooled by, its common sense, since living in Cairns, I have known quite a few people you have been driving in the UK for YEARS and have failed the written test 2-3 times before passing!

Food for thought eh

I couldn’t agree more. I spent months swatting up on the online tests, and believe me I did them all, and it wasn’t until I was getting them all right that I decided to go and get my licence. Some of the questions were quite daunting and I found myself having to have a stab at a few of them, luckily in my favour as I only got 1 wrong.
Old Jul 21st 2006, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sassie
I couldn’t agree more. I spent months swatting up on the online tests, and believe me I did them all, and it wasn’t until I was getting them all right that I decided to go and get my licence. Some of the questions were quite daunting and I found myself having to have a stab at a few of them, luckily in my favour as I only got 1 wrong.

Exactly! So did we all. I think it really is essential even for people who have been driving in the UK for years. Lots of our friends who have come over on a UK licence of over 20 yrs, dreaded taking the written test and most just panicked at the thought of taking the PRACTICAL and said, I know I would never pass if I had to take it again! So if they ever make that a rule