British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK police officer wanting to move to Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-police-officer-wanting-move-australia-923274/)

Jessica60 Mar 16th 2019 11:54 am

UK police officer wanting to move to Australia

hi, I'm a U.K. Police officer 42 years old with 20 years service. What are my chances of getting a job as a police officer in Australia?
If I couldn't be a police officer what type of work could I get?
Also what visa would I apply for?
My partner is a secondary school philosophy teacher.
Would it be likely to be able to become residents and get work?

we are just starting out on researching this,

SoCalDon Mar 17th 2019 12:08 am

Re: UK police officer wanting to move to Australia

Hi Jessica, looking at the requirements for the QPS, you're going to have to be a Permanent Resident before applying so a career in the police would be a good four or five years away. I'm an ex British bobby and, unfortunately, none of my skills were much use here so I doubt you'd be able to get a visa on your own. I would think that your partner would have a good chance though and you'd be able to come with them.

I just obtained employment as a Traffic Controller and, although it's not awfully exciting, it is quite well paid and might suit until you're able to get back into the job.

Good luck!

Pollyana Mar 17th 2019 3:46 am

Originally Posted by SoCalDon (Post 12654943)
Hi Jessica, looking at the requirements for the QPS, you're going to have to be a Permanent Resident before applying so a career in the police would be a good four or five years away. I'm an ex British bobby and, unfortunately, none of my skills were much use here so I doubt you'd be able to get a visa on your own. I would think that your partner would have a good chance though and you'd be able to come with them.

I just obtained employment as a Traffic Controller and, although it's not awfully exciting, it is quite well paid and might suit until you're able to get back into the job.

Good luck!

If the partner can get a PR visa on their skills, then Jessica would get one too, and could then apply to QPS straightaway - there is a fair waiting list though - I work with a couple of guys who are waiting.
The problem is though that any skills visa would need the partner to be the main applicant, police officer is not on the skills list (nor ever likely to be).

Other State police services will almost certainly require PR too, AFP require citizenship.

verystormy Mar 17th 2019 7:24 am

You would need to look at going on your partners skills.

Does she have 4 years of university education and is she under 45 years of age?

Jessica60 Mar 19th 2019 9:50 pm

Thank you. How easy was it to get a job as an ex police officer? Im a detective working on historical cases. To be honest I would take any well paid job if it meant I could raise my family in Australia. How did you get into the country?
sorry for all the questions, I'm just starting out on this path.

Jessica60 Mar 19th 2019 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12655044)
You would need to look at going on your partners skills.

Does she have 4 years of university education and is she under 45 years of age?

Yes, over four years university and quite a while in teacher. Both of us are 42

Pollyana Mar 20th 2019 1:26 am

Originally Posted by Jessica60 (Post 12656586)
Thank you. How easy was it to get a job as an ex police officer? Im a detective working on historical cases. To be honest I would take any well paid job if it meant I could raise my family in Australia. How did you get into the country?

SoCalDon came over on a Partner Visa, married to an Aussie,

verystormy Mar 20th 2019 5:15 am

Imposible to say. It would be similar to looking at new career in the UK. Though, we did find ageism a bit more rife. It will be part of the gamble.

Visas though are the number one. It will be harder at your age as points drop a lot after the age of 40.

SoCalDon Mar 20th 2019 11:15 am

It was irrelevant in my case because I moved from the UK to the US where I couldn't join the police farce anyway as I wasn't a citizen. I moved to Australia six years ago and I was too old and, again, didn't qualify on residency grounds.

Police Officers often leave the job without any transferable skills so often end up in security jobs. I ended up retraining as a Traffic Controller and that works for me just fine. Best of luck though. I absolutely love life downunder and have no regrets whatsoever.

I had a lovely career in the Met but I certainly wouldn't want to do police work again. Someone described it as pushing a wheelbarrow with a puncture with one hand tied behind your back. Probably not far off the truth.

Jessica60 Mar 21st 2019 8:33 pm

Thanks for all your helpful replies.
Yes policework is the only thing I know as I joined very young. I think most police officers want out as things have changed and the pressure is intense. Unfortunately I have many more years left until I can get my pension as the government did us over, making us work longer, pay more contributions and cut the pension by a considerable lot. The contracts we signed at the beginning of our service meant nothing. I will be old and grey by the time I get out, so I desperately want a better quality of life and I thought Australia could provide me with that.
Anyone got any ideas or know of companies that would like to employ an ex british copper?

SoCalDon Mar 21st 2019 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Jessica60 (Post 12657914)
Anyone got any ideas or know of companies that would like to employ an ex british copper?

Jumping ahead, I know, but when you're looking at places in Australia to move to, please don't ignore small town Australia. My wife and I left the hustle and bustle and expense of Brisbane and bought some acreage in the sticks. We got rid of our mortgage so don't need nearly the income that we used to. With this pressure removed we are blown away by how many opportunities for work that have come our way. My wife has set up a little business in town and even I with my previous lack of skills am bringing in decent money.

None of this could have happened in Brissy as there are thousands of people clamouring for work to pay for their over priced houses. Not that I'm bitter or anything! Download the book 'Unjobbing' and read it a few times. It changed our lives.

Pollyana Mar 22nd 2019 2:52 am

Originally Posted by Jessica60 (Post 12657914)
Thanks for all your helpful replies.
Yes policework is the only thing I know as I joined very young. I think most police officers want out as things have changed and the pressure is intense. Unfortunately I have many more years left until I can get my pension as the government did us over, making us work longer, pay more contributions and cut the pension by a considerable lot. The contracts we signed at the beginning of our service meant nothing. I will be old and grey by the time I get out, so I desperately want a better quality of life and I thought Australia could provide me with that.

Beware of the "better quality of life" trap. its something indefineable, and although some find they can pursue hobbies, sports etc better in Aus, there are also many of us who work longer hours, have less free time, and learn to dread the heat which stops us enjoying life

pab1974 Apr 30th 2019 2:37 pm

Victoria Police are heavily recruiting at the moment (and will be for the next few years) though you will need to be a permanent resident to apply. The application process can be as short as 6 months if you attend to all the requests made of you promptly.
Wages are, generally, a lot better than in the UK and morale is definitely not the issue that it is there either. Your skill set and knowledge would be highly regarded and valued if you were to make it through (33 weeks at the academy!)

scrubbedexpat020 Apr 30th 2019 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by pab1974 (Post 12677589)
Victoria Police are heavily recruiting at the moment (and will be for the next few years) though you will need to be a permanent resident to apply. The application process can be as short as 6 months if you attend to all the requests made of you promptly.
Wages are, generally, a lot better than in the UK and morale is definitely not the issue that it is there either. Your skill set and knowledge would be highly regarded and valued if you were to make it through (33 weeks at the academy!)

Read all about it, https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2698255. 6 months seems very optimistic from what I have been told. Nine from start of application to attending police college would be good from what I have read and heard. On thing I have noticed about the cops in VIC is they seem very young - this could be a version of doctor syndrome as I am 57.

pab1974 May 3rd 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ebo1608 (Post 12677792)
Read all about it, https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2698255. 6 months seems very optimistic from what I have been told. Nine from start of application to attending police college would be good from what I have read and heard. On thing I have noticed about the cops in VIC is they seem very young - this could be a version of doctor syndrome as I am 57.

Definitely can be 6 months, at the moment, if you are female and you get everything done and returned promptly.