Reload this Page >

Uk Police Officer Needs Help

Uk Police Officer Needs Help

Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

bootneck620 is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Uk Police Officer Needs Help

Hello to everyone,

My girlfiend and I are both coppers, still young in service but amazingly disillusioned with "Great Britain" and the way, in general, things are going with this once great country.
We have decided to go for the plunge and emigrate to OZ. You can imagine our disappointment when we checked the skilled migrants required list to find that "COPPERS" were not listed!! Should have trained as a Probation Officer or Social Worker as both are listed - bummer!!

I've read other messages from other UK Police Officers who have made the move, so you must somehow be able to get to OZ and become one of the Feds?? They all appear to know what they are on about, qoting jargon and the like, whereas we are total half wits by comparison and cannot seem to understand how they have been sucessful. Does anyone out there have any answers?

I am a total donut with only bog standard GCSE qualifications but lots of work experience, inc Military. Whereas my Girlfiriend has a degree qualification. Would this help or do we have to be married??

I will try an agent but once you mention coppers they start to laugh???? Is it really that impossible for 2 Feds to continue their vocation in another Country
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Bootneck620
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:42 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk Police Officer Needs Help

Originally Posted by bootneck620
Hello to everyone,

My girlfiend and I are both coppers, still young in service but amazingly disillusioned with "Great Britain" and the way, in general, things are going with this once great country.
We have decided to go for the plunge and emigrate to OZ. You can imagine our disappointment when we checked the skilled migrants required list to find that "COPPERS" were not listed!! Should have trained as a Probation Officer or Social Worker as both are listed - bummer!!

I've read other messages from other UK Police Officers who have made the move, so you must somehow be able to get to OZ and become one of the Feds?? They all appear to know what they are on about, qoting jargon and the like, whereas we are total half wits by comparison and cannot seem to understand how they have been sucessful. Does anyone out there have any answers?

I am a total donut with only bog standard GCSE qualifications but lots of work experience, inc Military. Whereas my Girlfiriend has a degree qualification. Would this help or do we have to be married??

I will try an agent but once you mention coppers they start to laugh???? Is it really that impossible for 2 Feds to continue their vocation in another Country

Bootneck620

I might be wrong here and i am sure others amongst 'us' will shoot me down in flames but i am sort of sure that there was an article a while ago saying something along the lines of - that South Australia was crying out for Uk police officers.

Ps - i am using an agent - ASA, they are very good give em a go? http://www.australia-migration.com/p...ASSESSMENT/112

Last edited by wargod; Mar 21st 2005 at 3:44 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 3:55 pm
Just Joined

bootneck620 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your swift reply, this site is good innit?? I've checked with SA Police and although they have taken on 60 Brit bobbies they are not currently recruiting anymore, however, will keep eyes posted. I'll try the Agents and thanks once again for your reply, Bootneck620.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:02 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone,

Bootneck620
have a look here for queensland: http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/join...mmitment.shtml

It says on their website that

"The Queensland Police Service (QPS) is committed to increasing the number of police officers in Queensland to 9,100 by September 2005.
As a result, the QPS is appointing approximately 84 recruits to the Queensland Police Service Academy, Brisbane, every two months and a further 40 recruits to the Queensland Police Service Academy, Townsville, every eight months."

It says to contact their recruitment people PartnerOne, Recruitment (Police)
Human Resources - (07) 3109 9229

This is the link to their recruitment drive for this year:
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/join.../Calendars.PDF

It may be worth contacting PartnerOne for info - ever considered that you may be able to get a transfer from the UK? I am sure that I have read simialr stories for UK Firefighters that have manged a transfer........

Best of luck guys!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 4:03 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Thanks for your swift reply, this site is good innit?? I've checked with SA Police and although they have taken on 60 Brit bobbies they are not currently recruiting anymore, however, will keep eyes posted. I'll try the Agents and thanks once again for your reply, Bootneck620.
Have you treid any of the ther state police forces, I also remember reading something about Uk police officers being required very ecently, I am in WA so might be worth trying them.

Sorry if you have already tried, just a thought.

If not an agent is the next step,

You and your girlfriend will not have to be married if you have been living together and can prove it for long enough (2 years I believe)

Cheers
Kala
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

BenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond reputeBenandPam has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone,

Bootneck620

Hi, not specifically related to cops, but when we were doing the main migration paperwork, my occupation was on the on-demand list but we were still 5 points short (old gits), and one way to avoid having to pay the bond (which we ended up doing) is to get state sponsorship.

I spent some time - an hour or so tops, looking at the individual territories websites to see if I could get state sponsorship. Basically, they all a list of occupations that they will sponsor you for - so I think it might be worth an hour of your time to se if you could get territory sponsorship for your career - it's another way in.

Best of luck,

Pam.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 5:40 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Hello to everyone,

Bootneck620
Hi there, hope this helps! My husband is a police officer and we are hoping to emigrate to Queensland later this year after he gets a job with them (fingers crossed). The one downside I'm afraid is at the moment to get into any of the police forces in Australia you MUST have permanent residency or citizenship. And, as you have noticed police officers are not accepted as a skill. We are getting in as I am a nurse - and I know a lot of police officers have achieved permanent residency through their spouses occupation. SA have recruited but as you know they have stopped accepting applications for the RSMS Visa for the time being. There is a rumour that WA are to come over to the UK and recruit so keep an eye open for that. I have heard of some officers who have managed to get some points from previous experience so it may be worth speaking to a GOOD agent to see if any of you or your partners previous experience is worth anything.
From the research we have done it seems that QLD offer the best opportunities as they have a specific accelerated programme PACE and your previous experience is acknowledged so you go in at the appropriate pay scale. At the moment no other state offers this.
There is a separate section on Expats for police officers and you will find loads of info there.
Good Luck with whatever you decide to do.
Carolyn
Old Mar 21st 2005, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Hi, as the previous poster said, there's quite a bit of info on the police forum. We are applying under my skill (nursing) also, hubby is a copper - I used to be! We are off on a trip to Perth in a couple of weeks and trying to make appt to talk to someone there while we're in town - anyway, hubby got an email from their recruiment team today saying they are in the process of setting up a means of sponsoring overseas police oficers for temporary visas - they still need to iron out a few issues with immigration. So I'd definately watch their website over the coming weeks/months as they may do a campaign here similar to SA did last year. As alreday mentioned, currently all polices services there require PR before you can apply. Also, WA have introduced a recognition of prior service lateral entry, along the lines of the QLD one, tho not been running very long.
Good luck,
HBx
Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

NedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond reputeNedKelly has a reputation beyond repute

A copper with a degree, blimey, I suppose it helps with all the paperwork!
Old Mar 21st 2005, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

caroluk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello to everyone,

Bootneck620
Maybe this will help.Hope so!!

Call for British Bobbies
One of Australia's most sparsely populated states is aiming to make up a shortage of up to 400 police officers by recruiting from Britain.

Prospective recruits can look forward to affordable housing in the capital, Adelaide, an enviable Mediterranean-style climate and easy access to some of the world's finest wineries in the Barossa and Clare valleys. Four times the size of Britain, South Australia has only 1.5 million inhabitants, more than a million of whom live in Adelaide. South Australia's police commissioner, Mal Hyde, said his force was already receiving up to 10 inquiries a day from officers in Britain. "We traditionally haven't recruited outside the state," he said. "But now we think we won't be able to meet our targets if we don't."

The current seven-month training course will be whittled down to three months to make it easier for British recruits, who will also be given assistance in securing immigration visas. South Australia is following the example of Auckland in New Zealand, which attracted 80 British police officers in 2002 because of a shortage of local applicants.
Source: news.telegraph
www.migrationnews.com

Old Mar 21st 2005, 9:10 pm
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
have a look here for queensland: http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/join...mmitment.shtml

It says on their website that

"The Queensland Police Service (QPS) is committed to increasing the number of police officers in Queensland to 9,100 by September 2005.
As a result, the QPS is appointing approximately 84 recruits to the Queensland Police Service Academy, Brisbane, every two months and a further 40 recruits to the Queensland Police Service Academy, Townsville, every eight months."

It says to contact their recruitment people PartnerOne, Recruitment (Police)
Human Resources - (07) 3109 9229

This is the link to their recruitment drive for this year:
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/pr/join.../Calendars.PDF

It may be worth contacting PartnerOne for info - ever considered that you may be able to get a transfer from the UK? I am sure that I have read simialr stories for UK Firefighters that have manged a transfer........

Best of luck guys!
I know a few of the coppers in Townsville (handy as i live here) and they have been saying that they are needing more people as more people are moving here and the city is expanding. The crime rate is low but they do their damndest (?sp) to provide a police presence. The uniform is not bad either Contact them on the link above and see what they say.