Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK police officer moving to NSW next year

UK police officer moving to NSW next year

Old Nov 22nd 2012, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK police officer moving to NSW next year

Originally Posted by SLB777
Hi,

I am currently a serving police officer in the UK with 8 years experience and am planning to move to the Northern Beaches, NSW next year with my husband and young family. I am hoping to apply to join NSW police in 2-3 years time when my children are old enough for me to undertake the 14 week police training course.

Untill then, I would like to work as a civilian within NSW police; can anyone please advise me on what opportunites there are in this field and what different roles there are, also where they are advertised? I would like to get as prepared as possible so any advice or information woould be greatly appreciated.

Also, if anyone has any experience of working as a police officer in NSW and can offer any advice/insights into selection process/ training course and how the job differs out there?
Thanks.
Hi there

I have a friend who works as a civilian in the Police Force - try using google.com.au for your searches just a simple civilian police jobs nsw will come up with options, I would have thought you were highly sought after.

In my part of NSW, our Police are wonderful. You simply learn to not speed/drink here, I drove for 23 years in the UK and was never stopped/breathalised here I've been tested about 10 times but it doesn't worry me, makes the road safer.

Good luck with the move
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Chris N Lora will become famous soon enoughChris N Lora will become famous soon enough

not yet, doing the professional suitability, swimming typing first aid etc ... why I do not know ... also awaiting medical ... I am not putting all my eggs in one basket, i am applying for all government jobs at mo so lets wait and see. will be different from England huh!
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:13 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Just so I make myself clear and to avoid any misunderstanding....I am and always have been pro Police. As an ex member of the UK armed forces I have a strong affinity with the Emergency services.
I do not hate the NSW Police, but, recently there have been several high profile stories where the NSW Police has been badly let down by its own officers and, most importantly to me, its own leadership. Its the cover ups, thus corruption, which offend me and offends all public members of NSW when the corruption is not nipped in the bud by the leadership and is, initially at any rate, supported. When Police Station video evidence is tampered with, blatantly and proved so, when a wrong warning is given e.g Stand Back Taser...then the officer shoots with a gun, and then a story is concocted which is proven to be wholly false and totally disregards the feelings of the now victims family. When Custody Officers concoct a false story against an inmate and again video evidence is tampered with but ultimately shows the guilt of the officers involved.
The silence of Commissioner Scipione is telling, instead he should be there providing assurance to the public of NSW that he is dealing with bad leadership, bad practise and rooting out corrupt Officers. No force in the world is perfect but in this modern age of information people are no longer sitting back and letting it all happen...except in Australia.
Protecting the good Police Officers of NSW is the right thing to do...protecting the bad ones is not.
So you see I am not a 'hater'....I just dislike bullies who misuse their power and hide behind a badge.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Just so I make myself clear and to avoid any misunderstanding....I am and always have been pro Police. As an ex member of the UK armed forces I have a strong affinity with the Emergency services.
I do not hate the NSW Police, but, recently there have been several high profile stories where the NSW Police has been badly let down by its own officers and, most importantly to me, its own leadership. Its the cover ups, thus corruption, which offend me and offends all public members of NSW when the corruption is not nipped in the bud by the leadership and is, initially at any rate, supported. When Police Station video evidence is tampered with, blatantly and proved so, when a wrong warning is given e.g Stand Back Taser...then the officer shoots with a gun, and then a story is concocted which is proven to be wholly false and totally disregards the feelings of the now victims family. When Custody Officers concoct a false story against an inmate and again video evidence is tampered with but ultimately shows the guilt of the officers involved.
The silence of Commissioner Scipione is telling, instead he should be there providing assurance to the public of NSW that he is dealing with bad leadership, bad practise and rooting out corrupt Officers. No force in the world is perfect but in this modern age of information people are no longer sitting back and letting it all happen...except in Australia.
Protecting the good Police Officers of NSW is the right thing to do...protecting the bad ones is not.
So you see I am not a 'hater'....I just dislike bullies who misuse their power and hide behind a badge.

Yes, this matter arose in the news yesterday. It's pretty clear that these custody officers have committed perjury, yet I anticipate that no charges or action will come from it.

Custody Officers lie about Beating

It's a very sad day indeed when CCTV systems are more effective at protecting the public from the police than they are the criminals

S
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 1:10 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Yes, this matter arose in the news yesterday. It's pretty clear that these custody officers have committed perjury, yet I anticipate that no charges or action will come from it.

S
Yep...there are some people at Blacktown Police Station who have colluded in this....I find it absolutely bizarre that, so far, no actions have been taken.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I think that the real issue in these instances is the apparent suppression of the facts, intentional or not which will always lead the an undermining of confidence in authorities.
There again, if the public had a more reasonable expectation of what the police do and how those officers should be dealt with when mistakes occur, then you would get more openness.
Old Nov 25th 2012, 8:34 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
I think that the real issue in these instances is the apparent suppression of the facts, intentional or not which will always lead the an undermining of confidence in authorities.
There again, if the public had a more reasonable expectation of what the police do and how those officers should be dealt with when mistakes occur, then you would get more openness.
Agree with both.