British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Police Checks currently taking longer than 40 days. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-police-checks-currently-taking-longer-than-40-days-108793/)

etlniwd Jun 10th 2002 11:34 am

UK Police Checks currently taking longer than 40 days.

Please be aware that there is a massive backlog of Subject Access requests with the national Identification Service at New Scotland Yard.

The statutary 40 day maximum is not being met regardless of which police force you lodged your application with.

My application has been outstanding for 44 days. When I telephoned this morning I was told it could take another two weeks.

They claim this is due to the 'computer being down for 2-3weeks'.

Yeah right. I work in IT and if I was responsible for a national computer being down for just 2 hours I'd have been sacked long ago.

'Mr Football Hooligan/Drug Dealer/Car Thief, you are under arrest. Please could you stand over there for 58 days while we run a check on you'

shaun/lor Jun 10th 2002 3:42 pm

Re: UK Police Checks currently taking longer than 40 days.

sorry to say ours took 3 months. just hang in there and for the same reason back in febuary dont bother to complain i just got told well what am i supposed to do about it by someone at scotland yard. Lor xx

Gerard Jun 10th 2002 10:17 pm

If you are getting a police form in response to a request from Adelaide, bear in mind you have to reply within 49 days. If the police are taking 3 months plus, you probably need to let Adelaide know there's been a delay.

I got my form back just in time to meet the 49 day deadline. (It took 35 days (May 2002)

gle Jun 11th 2002 11:28 am

I have heard this term used meaning one get their police checks done and is sent with the application.

I have yet to apply for my visa and I think it may be a good idea to get these done in tadem to ensure I have them when Aussies request it from me.

My question therefore is what is the procedure for requesting a police check?

yvsie Jun 11th 2002 1:32 pm

Hi gle,
go to your local police atation and ask for a police check form..tell them what its for...they should know what you mean..and they'll tell you what to do.
BUT remember that you may have to do another as theyre only valid for 12 months AND your visa will be granted valid from the date of which ever was done first either your medical or police check...if that make sense???

gle Jun 11th 2002 1:39 pm

Thanks, so are visas back dated? Are you saying that visas are granted on the condition of police checks and medical?
>your visa will be granted valid from the date of which ever was >one first either your medical or police check...if that make >ense???

yvsie Jun 11th 2002 1:47 pm

no im not saying that at all......i just know that when the visa is granted...you have 1 yr to validate it and the year starts at the date of your medical or police check whichever came first.

hibee Jun 11th 2002 3:17 pm

Checked my reply From AHC Today it states that they are aware that Police Checks can take up to 49 Days for a reply and they give you up to 91 Days.!!!!

lizzie Jun 12th 2002 8:43 pm

We must have been extremely lucky. Sent ours a couple of days before we went on holiday on 18th May 2002 and they were waiting for us on the door mat upon our return two weeks later.

However, asked the NI people to send a print out of NI contributions some 2 months ago and are still waiting - supposed to take 2 weeks (following phone call today it is apparently "in the post") ... hmmm.

Lizzie

hibee Jun 13th 2002 6:41 am

Lizzie ,
Are you sure this is the Documents from Data Centre at
Scotland Yard and not from your local Police , We recieved a letter from the Local Policeabout 2 weeks after we sent it, but there are 2 forms you need to fill in and one goes to Scotland Yard ????

CHEERS
Jamie

jopaulss Jun 13th 2002 8:47 am

Yep same here Jamie we sent off to renew ours it took them about two weeks to actually send out the main form for us to fill in and then that took a month to come back
Joanne

lizzie Jun 13th 2002 6:13 pm

Hibee - I must admit I'm beginning to wonder. I went to the local police station where the police lady put my details into the computer and said that Lancashire Constabulary would send me a form and within the week it was here. I sent the form back with copies of 2 forms of ID and a cheque and then 2 weeks later we received information from the National Identification Service at New Scotland Yard. Does this sound right?

lizzie

jopaulss Jun 13th 2002 6:21 pm

yes lizzie that sounds right to me , we sent our ID and cheque , we then got all this back within the week , then it took another 3 weeks for the actual forms to come through,does that sound the same?
joanne

lizzie Jun 13th 2002 6:33 pm

Joanne

Yes, sounds like we have the right info - we must just have hit them at a good moment - first bit of luck so far!

Cheers,

Lizzie

ywoods Jun 16th 2002 4:21 pm

I sent off for my police checks on 23rd May, sent it straight to Scotland Yard, and the cheque has not been cashed yet, should I be worrying?

Yvonne