UK phones

Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future
Default UK phones

A couple of questions for people already in Oz.

Will my house phone work over there? Are the connections the same? Mine are portable ones. If not they are going in my garage sale in the morning.

Mobile phones that are unlocked. Can these be used with an Oz SIM card? We were going to take ours to be unlocked tomorrow but have been told that they may not work because of the different frequencies. Apparently, hubbies mate got his unlocked but they wouldn't work with a US SIM card.

Thanks

Debs
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:19 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK phones

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser

Will my house phone work over there? Are the connections the same? Mine are portable ones. If not they are going in my garage sale in the morning.

Mobile phones that are unlocked. Can these be used with an Oz SIM card? We were going to take ours to be unlocked tomorrow but have been told that they may not work because of the different frequencies. Apparently, hubbies mate got his unlocked but they wouldn't work with a US SIM card.

Thanks

Debs
My unlocked mobile worked with an aussie sim.........US phones are different. With regards to the home phone....I am sure it is them that may interfere with the Aussie emergency frequency or summit...at least thats what I was told......
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:19 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

If it's a DECT phone, then it will work. The connections are not the same, but you can buy an adapter.

Mobile phones that are unlocked. Can these be used with an Oz SIM card?
Yes. Provided the mobile phone is unlocked, then it'll work with an Oz SIM card.

Gina
Old Jul 14th 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by GinaUK
If it's a DECT phone, then it will work. The connections are not the same, but you can buy an adapter.

Yes. Provided the mobile phone is unlocked, then it'll work with an Oz SIM card.

Gina
Sorry to sound stupid Gina but what does DECT mean?

Thanks

Debs
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:08 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound stupid Gina but what does DECT mean?
Not stupid at all. I am not completely sure, but I believe that "DECT" stands for "Digital Enhanced Cordless Telecommunications".

It's a "standard", originally developed in and followed by Europe, but then also adopted by other countries. Basically, in the countries that have adopted this standard, the cordless telephones comply with this standard.

So, if you have a cordless phone and it's a DECT phone, then it will work in Australia, because they follow the standard.

If you're not sure what kind of phone you have and you've lost the handbook that came withthe phone, search for your model on the manufacturer's website and it'll probably say if it's a DECT phone.

Gina
Old Jul 14th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks so much. Found the book and mine is a DECT so going to take the set with me. There are 3 handsets but only one plugs into the phone line. Any idea how much the adaptor is?

Debs
Old Jul 14th 2006, 10:45 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

We came over with our mobiles and managed to unlock all of them....

There was a thread on this site, that gave you the info enabling you to unlock your phone for free ( instead of being charged $10 per phone)

That,s how we did it.....and it worked a treat......

all the best plum......
Old Jul 15th 2006, 10:29 am
Banned

Thanks so much. Found the book and mine is a DECT so going to take the set with me. There are 3 handsets but only one plugs into the phone line. Any idea how much the adaptor is?

Debs
Buy the adaptor in the UK before you leave for Oz. "Maplins" sell them.

Go to: http://www.maplin.co.uk

Top right of the web page is the "search" box. Type: VD36P and hit "search". Scroll down the page. There'll be two items listed. Choose the "VD36P". Costs £6.99. Don't be put off that it says "BT/US Adaptors". It's the correct one for Oz as well: "Adaptors to connect equipment with a UK plug into an RJ11 socket." Oz also has RJ11 sockets.

Gina
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Top right of the web page is the "search" box. Type: VD36P and hit "search". Scroll down the page. There'll be two items listed. Choose the "VD36P". Costs £6.99. Don't be put off that it says "BT/US Adaptors". It's the correct one for Oz as well: "Adaptors to connect equipment with a UK plug into an RJ11 socket." Oz also has RJ11 sockets.

Gina
Yep. that's the one. It definitely works.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:51 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Debs
Re mobiles: As long as your unlocked UK moby is dual band, which it more than likely will be, then it'll work in Oz. Check the spec in your user manual.

You need a tri-band phone for the U.S.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:57 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Re mobiles: As long as your unlocked UK moby is dual band, which it more than likely will be, then it'll work in Oz. You need a tri-band phone for the U.S.
That's if you want to use your phone with it's UK SIM card in Oz/US. The original poster will be taking her UK SIM card out and inserting an Oz SIM card.

Gina
Old Jul 15th 2006, 12:04 pm
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

That's if you want to use your phone with it's UK SIM card in Oz/US. The original poster will be taking her UK SIM card out and inserting an Oz SIM card.

Gina
An unlocked dual band mobile will work in Oz, and will take an Aussie sim-card.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Gina
Interesting!!! I was told by some random in Tandys over here that there was no such thing as an adaper for my UK phone!!! Luckly I didn't throw the phones away. Can I buy that adapter over in Queensland?
Kaz x
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:02 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: UK phones

Originally Posted by mackinnon
An unlocked dual band mobile will work in Oz, and will take an Aussie sim-card.
So will an unlocked single band mobile.

We're on the GSM network Down Under, just like the UK. No need for a dual band phone.

I brought mine to the UK and had it on "roam" for a while, until that became too expensive. Then I just slipped in a PAYG UK SIM card, and away I went.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: UK to Crete, Back to UK and moved to Perth in March 2006 - yippee! Loving it!!!
adenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud ofadenray has much to be proud of

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works - our DECT handsfree BT telephones didn't work when we arrived in Perth but our mobiles did. We just bought a Vodafone SIM from the local Post Office.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.