Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK pension transfer

UK pension transfer

Old Jun 7th 2020, 7:33 am
Just Joined

Perthscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK pension transfer

I’m considering transferring my UK company defined benefit pension to Australia. I think I know the processes and options. Been talking to a couple of financial advisors but they want a lot of money to do this, up to 25k over five years plus the 15% ATO will take if I set up QROPS.
Has anyone transferred their pension and would like to share their experience?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK pension transfer

Originally Posted by Perthscot
I’m considering transferring my UK company defined benefit pension to Australia. I think I know the processes and options. Been talking to a couple of financial advisors but they want a lot of money to do this, up to 25k over five years plus the 15% ATO will take if I set up QROPS.
Has anyone transferred their pension and would like to share their experience?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers.
Left it all in the UK for retirement. No idea if this is the best option.
Old Jun 7th 2020, 9:26 am
Just Joined

Yea it all seems a bit costly to transfer, anyone got any recommendations?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 12:08 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

The tax saved if you transfer to an Australian super fund can be compelling - have you spoken with my colleagues financial planning colleagues at bdhSterling?

Feel able to send a PM to me if you would like contact details.

Best regards.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Alan,
im aware of the tax saving available but I’m also aware of the initial and ongoing costs to achieve this tax saving. I have already spoken to one of your colleagues.
Im specifically looking for input for anyone who has been through the process who is willing to share their experience.
if you could give me a couple of contacts that have used your company’s services, that may help.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:45 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

I've sent a PM to you.

Best regards.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Thanks Alan.....has anyone else actually used professional services to transfer
Old Jun 9th 2020, 11:47 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure there may be good reasons for bringing your pension over but just the thought of having to pay some 'expert' or, err, 'financial consultant' a lot of money to do it means ours are staying over there
Old Jun 10th 2020, 12:04 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I'm sure there may be good reasons for bringing your pension over but just the thought of having to pay some 'expert' or, err, 'financial consultant' a lot of money to do it means ours are staying over there
What if the cost of the advice is somewhat less than the financial gain resulting from a transfer of your pension benefits to Australia?

Best regards.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 6:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Amazulu
I too have decided to leave mine over there, not worth the costs involved.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 6:32 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Don't forget that it would no longer be defined benefit.
Old Jun 16th 2020, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Reasonable
Don't forget that it would no longer be defined benefit.
could you explain what you mean?
Old Jun 17th 2020, 12:21 am
Forum Regular

Reasonable will become famous soon enoughReasonable will become famous soon enough

Once transferred to a super fund the investment returns are not defined. So you could lose out or gain by transferring.
The tax advantage means that when you draw the pension in Oz it is not taxed but it would be if left in the UK.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 2:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Reasonable
Once transferred to a super fund the investment returns are not defined. So you could lose out or gain by transferring.
The tax advantage means that when you draw the pension in Oz it is not taxed but it would be if left in the UK.
your first sentence is correct. Your second sentence is not, you pay 15% tax to the ATO if you transfer. If your annual pension payment is less than 20k AUD then you do not pay any tax.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 4:40 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
What if the cost of the advice is somewhat less than the financial gain resulting from a transfer of your pension benefits to Australia?

Best regards.
Sure, it may be for some (and/or the gullible) but after being cold contacted and harassed by many of these guys (don't know how they got my details), even after repeated requests not to, that's a no thanks from me. To a man, they've all come across as slick versions of Del Boy (always British too), full of great patter but no mention of the costs involved. I'd like to see whats in their carparks!

One of the reasons I got an MBA was that I wanted to learn as much as I could about business, finance, accounting, economics and contracts so that I could make informed financial decisions for myself. If I ever have to use the services of these people, I'd have failed in this endeavour. One of the best things I learnt in economics was that if you see or read something that doesn't look right, break it down to basics and you'll get your answer. Job done

Anyway, our holidays in the UK and Europe when we retire will be financed by our pensions that are staying over there. Looking forward to them!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.