Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

uk pension less than 11 years?

uk pension less than 11 years?

Old Feb 13th 2007, 8:39 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light
Default uk pension less than 11 years?

Im 26 and have been told that i will not be able to claim any uk pension unless paying in for 11 years or more? about 10.5 years now so what do i do? Any help welcome!!pete
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk pension less than 11 years?

Originally Posted by pete jackson
Im 26 and have been told that i will not be able to claim any uk pension unless paying in for 11 years or more? about 10.5 years now so what do i do? Any help welcome!!pete
Hi, you can top up your pension, to cover any shortfall. Just apply for a Pensions Forecast, and it will tell you how much shortfall you have to pay. They usually give you a few years to pay. I applied for my pensions forecast in 2005 and I have until 2008 to make up the shortfall.
Old Feb 13th 2007, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Will be interested to hear the end of this one as I had heard that it was a minimum of seven years of paying in. Of course there is no guarantee of ever getting a penny back anyway, , so it is not something I worry about overly. Am same age as OP tho, so will be sorting myself out with something private in the next year or two.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

You can make voluntary payments from overseas, it doesn't cost much at all. But if you only pay in for 11 years you will only get a percentage of the full amount at age 65, or 68 or 70 whatever it will be by then.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Yes 11 yrs gives you around 26% of the pension.You can backpay 6 yrs,and contribute yearly from OZ,around 350 quid a year and rising with CPI.Don't quote me on that as it is a fair while now since I went through the process.

As somebody else said you can get a pension forecast from Longbenton (Newcastle),E-mail them or call them if you are still in the UK.

The pension is frozen from the date you apply for it,EG,if you applied today and the pension was 80 quid,you would get 26%ish of that for the rest of your life,no CPI increases.

There is talk of making the qualifying period 30 yrs,you need 44 yrs now for full pension.

As I say a while since I went through it all so some info could be out of date,pension service in the UK will give you the full bottle on it.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Are there any restrictions on residency/citizenship? For example, if I (in my 20s) leave the UK this year, become an Australian citizen before the age of 30 and never return to the UK on a permanent basis - can I still claim a pension if I've been making voluntary contributions from Oz?
And, out of interest, are there any guarantees from the govt about receiving a pension having paid contributions? Because as I understand it I'd be much better off paying in to something private that I can control, rather than surrendering my savings to the govt who can do whatever they like with them and may never pay out a penny.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:45 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

I am just wondering what to do...have been paying national insurance since I was 16, now 30 years old. Will I still get a state pension when I am 60 even if I am in oz? Also I have an NHS pension to sort out too but only been paying into that for 5 years now. It's all a bit confusing and I have heard that transferring them over to oz is not beneficial at all losing alot of money in taxes?
I have emailed an accountant but that was 3 weeks ago and he still has not replied to me about an appointment.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:03 pm
brown eyes!

pete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of lightpete jackson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geordie downunder
Yes 11 yrs gives you around 26% of the pension.You can backpay 6 yrs,and contribute yearly from OZ,around 350 quid a year and rising with CPI.Don't quote me on that as it is a fair while now since I went through the process.

As somebody else said you can get a pension forecast from Longbenton (Newcastle),E-mail them or call them if you are still in the UK.

The pension is frozen from the date you apply for it,EG,if you applied today and the pension was 80 quid,you would get 26%ish of that for the rest of your life,no CPI increases.

There is talk of making the qualifying period 30 yrs,you need 44 yrs now for full pension.

As I say a while since I went through it all so some info could be out of date,pension service in the UK will give you the full bottle on it.

Does anyone know the email address or phone number that I can ring for a pension forcast???? Pete
Old Feb 14th 2007, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I have the address but thats for non residents.
Donna
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:38 pm
brown eyes!

Originally Posted by donna
I have the address but thats for non residents.
Donna
Thanks for that Donna I will give them a call tomorrow! Pete
Old Jul 24th 2007, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road

The National Insurance contribution qualifying period for a full (i.e. 100%) pension is currently 39 years for women and 44 for men. The minimum pension that would be paid is a 'quarter pension', in other words, one quarter of the 'full' pension. The qualifying period for that 'quarter pension' is, therefore, one quarter of the 39 years for women (i.e. 9.75 years) and one quarter of the 44 years for men (i.e. 11 years).

This qualifying period is to be amended downwards for pensions that would take effect from April 6, 2010 onwards to 30 years for both men and women. That means, then, that to get a 'quarter pension' the qualifying period will then be 7.5 years.

This info is accurate, came directly from the 'horse's mouth' at Newcastle-Upon-Tyne.

Last edited by Pearly_Spencer; Jul 24th 2007 at 4:19 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:14 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by esperanza
Are there any restrictions on residency/citizenship? For example, if I (in my 20s) leave the UK this year, become an Australian citizen before the age of 30 and never return to the UK on a permanent basis - can I still claim a pension if I've been making voluntary contributions from Oz?

The rules may be completely different in the 2040s.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
The rules may be completely different in the 2040s.
Pensions are great aren't they?!
I think I'll hold on to my pennies!