Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Passport (apologies if this isn't in the right location)

UK Passport (apologies if this isn't in the right location)

Old May 26th 2017, 4:49 am
Just Joined

princess_tigeress is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Passport (apologies if this isn't in the right location)

Hi everyone, again my apologies if this is not in the right location on the forum.
I applied for my UK passport, sent all the documentation that I can possibly find including original adoption papers etc.

Now here's the question - the application is showing up "declaration forum received processing" should I be concerned? or is this normal?

Currently, it has been the same position for the last 2 weeks, I know they have a turn-around time of 8 weeks yet I read a few horror stories online, parents trying to obtain UK passports for kids.

I was born in the UK, adopted to British parents, lived in England for 7 years, I'm assuming if someone who's grandad was born in England and they can apply and get one when they were born in Australia I technically should be able to.... hopefully

The passport office assured me I had a rightful claim of dual nationality or to reclaim my British nationality.
Old May 26th 2017, 6:22 am
Just Joined

GreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond reputeGreenwichCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Passport (apologies if this isn't in the right location)

"declaration forum received processing"

That's bureaucrat speak for being processed, should be fine as long as you have completed all the boxes and signed the photos (many people forget). Otherwise they will reject it and you have to re-submit. Computer Says No etc. It gets sent to NZ from Australia before it goes to the UK so will be a few weeks. Mine got done fine.
Old May 26th 2017, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by GreenwichCat
"declaration forum received processing"

That's bureaucrat speak for being processed, should be fine as long as you have completed all the boxes and signed the photos (many people forget). Otherwise they will reject it and you have to re-submit. Computer Says No etc. It gets sent to NZ from Australia before it goes to the UK so will be a few weeks. Mine got done fine.

Oh thank, thank you c:

I feel a lot better, I just need to express it "Lovely Jubbly"
Old May 26th 2017, 6:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Did you include your original birth certificate or just your adoption certificate?
Old May 26th 2017, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Did you include your original birth certificate or just your adoption certificate?
Under British law, I do not own a birth certificate due to the fact it states my birth mothers or parents identities. I checked with the UK and they said as long as it is the original adoption paperwork its fine. I have always used this, they did state its a legal record of birth and it has to be the original, I used it to get my Au driving license and passport too.

I might, however, go through the correct channels as I am over 18 and apply for my birth certificate while in the UK, I believe I may have to attend an interview.
Old May 26th 2017, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by princess_tigeress
I was born in the UK, adopted to British parents, lived in England for 7 years, I'm assuming if someone who's grandad was born in England and they can apply and get one when they were born in Australia I technically should be able to.... hopefully

The passport office assured me I had a rightful claim of dual nationality or to reclaim my British nationality.
Someone who was adopted by an UK court order after 1 January 1983 will become a British Citizen on the date of the adoption order. Please see link below for details (section 3.2.13) -

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...5/chapter3.pdf
Old May 26th 2017, 8:06 am
Just Joined

I am a British citizen, yet I was made an Au citizen while I was at school, I am currently on the back of my mother Au citizenship papers. I am going to claim my UK nationality though, I feel a certain national British identity still.
Old May 27th 2017, 8:14 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by princess_tigeress
Under British law, I do not own a birth certificate due to the fact it states my birth mothers or parents identities. I checked with the UK and they said as long as it is the original adoption paperwork its fine. I have always used this, they did state its a legal record of birth and it has to be the original, I used it to get my Au driving license and passport too.
That is correct. The only issue is that being born in the UK after 1 January 1983 doesn't automatically give a person British citizenship by birth - the immigration status of their parents needs to be considered. As HKG3 has quite rightly pointed out an adoption in the UK automatically conveys British citizenship on the adoptee regardless of their place of birth. You however would have already been a British citizen by birth as I understand from another thread that your birth mother was Irish, Irish citizens almost always being considered 'settled' for immigration purposes on arrival in the UK. If you had provided both certificates then it might've speeded the process along somewhat.