UK Passport

Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Question UK Passport

Hi

My husband is thinking of flying out to Oz on 14th June (one way), his UK passport is valid until 22nd December 2009.

* Would he be ok to travel one way with just 6 months left on his passport?
* Is it easier/cheaper/more convenient to renew now before he goes?

Thanks

Louise
Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:00 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK Passport

When we came we had one passport with less than 6 months. We asked immigration and they said it would be fine. However, if you intend to stop over on the way (e.g. Singapore) you will need 6 months. Also the airline wasn't happy at Heathrow but we showed them a copy of the email from immigration.

It is easier/cheaper/more convenient to renew your passport in the UK. I think they transfer any unused time (less than 12 months) onto your new passport.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

technically the rules are you have to have a minimum of 6 months valid onyour passport in order to travel. So technically you are just in time. I suppose it then goes down to what type of visa he is travelling on, In terms of renewing passports i have renewed over here but i think it is faster to do it there. Also you will need to pay a fee over here to get the visa moved over into your new passport or alternatively carry both passports when you travel.

personally i would renew it over there - a lot less hassle
Old Feb 6th 2009, 10:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
technically the rules are you have to have a minimum of 6 months valid onyour passport in order to travel. So technically you are just in time. I suppose it then goes down to what type of visa he is travelling on, In terms of renewing passports i have renewed over here but i think it is faster to do it there. Also you will need to pay a fee over here to get the visa moved over into your new passport or alternatively carry both passports when you travel.

personally i would renew it over there - a lot less hassle
You only need 6 months if you are entering a country which requires 6 months. Australia does not require it.
There is no fee for the transfer of the visa - just take both passports to your local DIAC office and they will do it on the spot.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

pootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant futurepootle26 has a brilliant future

hmm interesting - when my husband renewed his we were told we would have to pay extra to move the visa across - admin fee or something like that so ultimately we left it where it was & he carries both passports - that was a while ago though so perhaps it has changed.

Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:09 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies.

If it is easier in the UK we may as well do it now, because he would be ok to get there by the sounds of things but if he needed to get back quick for any reason it makes sense to sort it here before he leaves.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 4:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pootle26
hmm interesting - when my husband renewed his we were told we would have to pay extra to move the visa across - admin fee or something like that so ultimately we left it where it was & he carries both passports - that was a while ago though so perhaps it has changed.
He was told wrong ... no fee to re-evidence a visa, other than a Resident Return Visa.
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:33 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
When we came we had one passport with less than 6 months. We asked immigration and they said it would be fine. However, if you intend to stop over on the way (e.g. Singapore) you will need 6 months. Also the airline wasn't happy at Heathrow but we showed them a copy of the email from immigration.

It is easier/cheaper/more convenient to renew your passport in the UK. I think they transfer any unused time (less than 12 months) onto your new passport.
I am sure it would probably be cheaper, (Too get the UK passport in England) but they need a address to send it too and if you are visiting what then???
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura about

Sorry to butt in, but does anyone know how much it costs to have the RRV stamp transferred into a new passport?

Thanks, Mags
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:45 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo
Sorry to butt in, but does anyone know how much it costs to have the RRV stamp transferred into a new passport?
All the information you need is at:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/990i.htm
Old Feb 9th 2009, 12:56 pm
Forum Regular

Maggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura aboutMaggiemoo has a spectacular aura about

Thanks JAJ, had a look and it seems it is about $100 if we do it in UK and $60 if we do it once we get to Australia.

Old Feb 11th 2009, 11:46 pm
A Brit where every U live

Bad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant futureBad1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Bad1
I am sure it would probably be cheaper, (Too get the UK passport in England) but they need a address to send it too and if you are visiting what then???
"BUMP"
Old Feb 12th 2009, 1:21 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maggiemoo

Thanks, Mags
Shouldn't cost you anything. If you get a new passport and you need your PR visa transferred, they do that for nothing so I should think an RRV would be the same.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:37 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Shouldn't cost you anything. If you get a new passport and you need your PR visa transferred, they do that for nothing so I should think an RRV would be the same.
I have a niggling suspicion that you do have to pay to have the RRV transferred, unlike a "normal" visa.......
Old Feb 12th 2009, 12:38 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bad1
BUMP
Not sure why you are bumping this? The question gets asked a least once a month. Its cheaper to renew your passport in the UK but if you resident in Australia you shoudl do it through Canberra.
You can renew in the UK if you are visiting and have an address for them to send it to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.