Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Paramedic wanting to move to NSW, Australia).

UK Paramedic wanting to move to NSW, Australia).

Old Feb 13th 2019, 10:24 pm
Just Joined

CestrianLove is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Paramedic wanting to move to NSW, Australia).

Hello all, I’m getting married in April next year (To my Australian partner) and have just discovered that my visa company has gotten alot of its information wrong.

I’m a full time UK paramedic and I’m wanting to work as a paramedic in NSW Australia just before, or just after the wedding.

How on earth do I reach this goal? I don’t want to risk loosing my registration by moving out there with no employment.

Can anyone please help. I’ve been advised against the 300 engagement visa, but struggling to find out why this would not work?
Old Feb 14th 2019, 2:29 am
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Paramedic wanting to move to NSW, Australia).

Originally Posted by CestrianLove View Post
Hello all, I’m getting married in April next year (To my Australian partner) and have just discovered that my visa company has gotten alot of its information wrong.

I’m a full time UK paramedic and I’m wanting to work as a paramedic in NSW Australia just before, or just after the wedding.

How on earth do I reach this goal? I don’t want to risk loosing my registration by moving out there with no employment.

Can anyone please help. I’ve been advised against the 300 engagement visa, but struggling to find out why this would not work?

Not sure why they would advise you against a 300. Is your partner in Aus or in the UK?

Assuming they are in Aus, then getting a 300 would mean you can move here, get married and then apply for a 820/801 Spouse Visa onshore (all within 9 months). You can work at anything - or nothing - as soon as you arrive.
The alternative would be to apply for a 309/100 Spouse Visa from the UK, but for that you will either need to be already married, or be able to prove a de facto relationship including living together for 12 months (or show exceptionally good reasons for living apart). You then have to wait for the grant (several months) before you can move.

The 300 to me seems the obvious route if your partner is already over here. What alternative did the company suggest?

As for the job, you would need to approach NSW and find out their requirements for a paramedic role. I know we have a lot of UK paramedics in Queensland, the State used to sponsor them but no longer does so. However we still have a fair few that have started working for QAS after arriving on spouse visas, or as dependents when their partners get skills visas. Contact NSW and see what their requirements are, and whether they will employ you on the 300 and then 820, or whether they want you to have PR first.