British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Paramedic to Adelaide (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-paramedic-adelaide-907590/)

moonbeam_me Jan 6th 2018 1:09 pm

UK Paramedic to Adelaide

Hi,

My husband has an interview with South Australia Ambulance Service coming up and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has been through the interview process and can offer any advice?

He's been advised that it will consist of a 45 minute interview and 45 minute VIVA which won't be based on current clinical guidelines.

Thanks so much!

Mary x

garyp Jan 10th 2018 6:37 am

Re: UK Paramedic to Adelaide

Sent you a PM

mikelincs Jan 10th 2018 6:48 am

Originally Posted by garyp (Post 12415217)
Sent you a PM

he won't see it as you need to have made at least 3 posts before the PM system can be used, it's a way to try and stop scammers.

chesterbear Jan 10th 2018 9:56 am

Hi also have an interview with them next month, any tips on what to expect from clinical viva would be appreciated

garyp Jan 10th 2018 11:57 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12415221)
he won't see it as you need to have made at least 3 posts before the PM system can be used, it's a way to try and stop scammers.

:thumbup: forget about that been a while

garyp Jan 10th 2018 11:57 am

I went through the process just over a year ago.Did interview and VIVA through Skyoe from the UK. I assume you are still in the UK and have visas because they don't provide them.
I can't remember all the questions and that's genuine because it went so quick and it didn't last the full 45mins.Very informal more of a chat really. The only clinical question I can remember was about cardiac tanponade. Didn't ask me any questions on medications even though I prepared for the common ones like aspirin and GTN etc. There was 2 people asking the clinical questions. the interview was 3 or 4 people but again informal. Usual interview questions tell me about yourself,why do you want to work for SAAS, will you work anywhere etc
I was supposed to start last year and was offered Adelaide area but couldn't make the dates. I am supposed to start this month now but they only offered me a country station which is hours away from Adelaide. This is something you need to consider as I am still undecided whether I am leaving the UK for the job. I have a little understanding as I worked in Queenland back in 2010 but came back to UK.
Feel free to ask any questions.

chesterbear Jan 10th 2018 12:31 pm

Thank you for a reply, very helpful. One thing is how did you go about having your fitness test done in the UK and do you know what the requirements are?
Thanks

garyp Jan 10th 2018 1:40 pm

They email medical and fitness forms to you telling you what is required.With the functional capacity test only the tester knows what the standard is. I am 45 and passed it twiceno problem in the last year.The Fitness test only valid 6 months,not the fittest in the world but you talking average 30sec to 1 min for various exercises. I contacted a few people and in the end went with a private provider who did both. GP for medical and Physio for functional test

moonbeam_me Jan 10th 2018 8:52 pm

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply and for such an informative response 😊
It doesn't sound as daunting after reading your post!

mikelincs Jan 11th 2018 6:31 am

It's a great pity 'Miss Betty' isn't still active on the forum, she could give you a few pointers in her very informative posts, to see them just do a members search for Miss Betty.

Pollyana Jan 11th 2018 7:09 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12416180)
It's a great pity 'Miss Betty' isn't still active on the forum, she could give you a few pointers in her very informative posts, to see them just do a members search for Miss Betty.

Her posts were great, but she did work for QAS in Queensland, not for South Australia.

chesterbear Jan 17th 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by garyp (Post 12415558)
They email medical and fitness forms to you telling you what is required.With the functional capacity test only the tester knows what the standard is. I am 45 and passed it twiceno problem in the last year.The Fitness test only valid 6 months,not the fittest in the world but you talking average 30sec to 1 min for various exercises. I contacted a few people and in the end went with a private provider who did both. GP for medical and Physio for functional test

Hey you know when you said only the tester knows the requirement how do they make that happen do they contact the provider??
Anything you suggest practicing ready for the fitness test if successful as it’s worrying me a bit especially as don’t know what’s involved.

jwt Jan 31st 2018 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by moonbeam_me (Post 12412389)
Hi,

My husband has an interview with South Australia Ambulance Service coming up and would be grateful to hear from anyone who has been through the interview process and can offer any advice?

He's been advised that it will consist of a 45 minute interview and 45 minute VIVA which won't be based on current clinical guidelines.

Thanks so much!

Mary x

Also have an interview for SAAS coming up in march. Could you please PM me too gary? Or perhaps i won't see it as i have not posted 3 times. Any other insight from anyone?

The physical doesn't worry me i don't think, but are there any medical history that would disqualify you? I am a healthy fit person, but have had medical issues in the past.

does VIVA just mean an oral interview? I am in Canada and unfamiliar with the term. Also are any of you ICPs trying to get recognized or paramedics?

how deep into anatomy and physiology should I be studying?

As far as placements, prefer adelaide area but open to anywhere as long as myself and my wife (both paramedics) get placed close.

thanks very much

jwt

Pollyana Feb 1st 2018 5:08 am

Originally Posted by jwt (Post 12432058)
Also have an interview for SAAS coming up in march. Could you please PM me too gary? Or perhaps i won't see it as i have not posted 3 times. Any other insight from anyone?

The physical doesn't worry me i don't think, but are there any medical history that would disqualify you? I am a healthy fit person, but have had medical issues in the past.

does VIVA just mean an oral interview? I am in Canada and unfamiliar with the term. Also are any of you ICPs trying to get recognized or paramedics?

how deep into anatomy and physiology should I be studying?

As far as placements, prefer adelaide area but open to anywhere as long as myself and my wife (both paramedics) get placed close.

thanks very much

jwt

You need to have three genuine posts to access the pm system

jwt Feb 17th 2018 1:48 am

anybody have their SAAS interview yet? still waiting on mine