British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK to OZ truck licence conversion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-oz-truck-licence-conversion-339461/)

ozozozoz Nov 25th 2005 12:50 pm

UK to OZ truck licence conversion

Hi

I know this topic has been covered many times before by other people but I am going to ask this question again myself. I apologise if someone has already answered it but I have searched this forum all over and haven’t found a definite answer. So, here goes.

I have a UK class 1 truck licence (i.e. for an articulated lorry)
I’m moving to OZ next year (I already have the visa) and would like to convert my licence to the OZ equivalent which is an HC licence.

From the searches I have done it appears that I will need to take a written test followed by a practical test.

It is this practical test that is confusing me.

Some threads suggest that I can go and do the HC test within 3 months of arriving. Others threads suggest that you can’t do the HC test first, even if you have the UK equivalent, but instead will have to first take an HR (this is a rigid lorry) test and then the HC test 1 year later.

So, basically my question is this, can I do the HC test straight off, or will I have to do the HR followed by the HC after 1 year?

Anyone know the answer? I would be very pleased to know exactly what I have to do.

Sorry again if this has already been answered.

By the way, I’m either going to Queensland or South Australia. I guess that the answer could be different for each state.

Cheers, Mark

Bosshogg Nov 25th 2005 1:01 pm

Re: UK to OZ truck licence conversion

Mark,

I'm in the same predicament as you. The way I read it is this. You do a written test and get your car and motorbike licence (if you have one here). For HGV you take a practical test and get the equivalent of what you have here. This is what I understand for Queensland.

See www.transport.qld.gov.au and follow the link "common questions".

Hope this helps

Bosshogg

ozozozoz Dec 6th 2005 1:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Bosshogg, I appreciate it, and the www.transport.qld.gov.au link was a great help. Thanks. :)

I have found a similar website for SA, www.transport.sa.gov.au but it does not seem to give as much information as the QLD one.

Does anyone know the South Australia HGV licence conversion procedure?

Cheers, Mark

TracyAnne Dec 6th 2005 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by ozozozoz
Hi

I know this topic has been covered many times before by other people but I am going to ask this question again myself. I apologise if someone has already answered it but I have searched this forum all over and haven’t found a definite answer. So, here goes.

I have a UK class 1 truck licence (i.e. for an articulated lorry)
I’m moving to OZ next year (I already have the visa) and would like to convert my licence to the OZ equivalent which is an HC licence.

From the searches I have done it appears that I will need to take a written test followed by a practical test.

It is this practical test that is confusing me.

Some threads suggest that I can go and do the HC test within 3 months of arriving. Others threads suggest that you can’t do the HC test first, even if you have the UK equivalent, but instead will have to first take an HR (this is a rigid lorry) test and then the HC test 1 year later.

So, basically my question is this, can I do the HC test straight off, or will I have to do the HR followed by the HC after 1 year?

Anyone know the answer? I would be very pleased to know exactly what I have to do.

Sorry again if this has already been answered.

By the way, I’m either going to Queensland or South Australia. I guess that the answer could be different for each state.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,

Not sure about Qld or SA but I can tell you how it is here in Vic. With regards to your car licence you can simply hand over your UK licence (they give it back to you with a hole punched in it) have your photo taken , pay approx $42 and thats it.
My hubby has a UK HGV 1 licence and he took his HC test last week and past with flying colours, he had to do a written test also (multiple choice) which was quite easy as long as you have read the VicRoads truck drivers handbook. If you have a UK class 1 licence then you are exempt from the 1 year at HR level. He did his test 2 weeks after arriving.
I hope this helps, but you will need to check for info on the state you are going to.
BTW what visa did you get, was it your wifes skilled occupation?
Tracy