Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK to NZ to Oz to ???

UK to NZ to Oz to ???

Old Dec 30th 2007, 11:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK to NZ to Oz to ???

Originally Posted by westiepom
If you move to Australia as a New Zealand citizen and don't apply for Australian citizenship what happens about your state pension when you retire ? Are you entitled to claim it from either country ?
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/filestores/int014_0703/$file/int014_0703en.pdf
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:07 am
Just Joined

mr-vmware is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK to NZ to Oz to ???

Hi all, this is really useful and very informative thread. Can I ask what are education standards in NSW (OZ) as compared to UK. Like in UK you can go to the state school, if kids are bright then they take 11+ exams and then depending on results can go to grammer schools. What's the situation over there. Also, universities systems, are OZ university degrees worldwide acceptable?
Is the primary and high school education free in OZ and in what type of schools (state, grammer if any)?
Thanks in advance.
MoJ
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:19 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr-vmware
Hi all, this is really useful and very informative thread. Can I ask what are education standards in NSW (OZ) as compared to UK. Like in UK you can go to the state school, if kids are bright then they take 11+ exams and then depending on results can go to grammer schools. What's the situation over there. Also, universities systems, are OZ university degrees worldwide acceptable?
Is the primary and high school education free in OZ and in what type of schools (state, grammer if any)?
Thanks in advance.
MoJ
You would be better advised to start a new thread if you want responses (also recommended to use the search facility to see what's already been discussed) rather than "hijack" something completely unrelated.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Billy_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really niceBilly_NoMates is just really nice

We are Qld via New Zealand via Wales. Meant to spend 2 years in NZ before moving to Aus but ended up spending 6 years over there. Loved it but it was a struggle some times.

Originally Posted by Nerine
...may decide to move to the South of France and open a B&B one day, but never back to the UK.
Sounds idyllic.

NZ was ok for what it was.We had a good income but very limited career prospects for all of us - its very easy to let your ambition slide in NZ - to accept 'good enough' rather than 'let's see how far we can go with our lives'
I found myself in the same boat...did we meet? Most of the supervisors I have worked with got to where they are because everyone else above them has moved to better themselves and they've been the only ones left to fill the position.

Originally Posted by bjddavies
I like NZ but you need the money to get on there. Watching the pennies and shopping at 'The Warehouse' isn't fun after a while.
Another reason we moved. The same or better wages but lower outgoings.

Will we move on somewhere. Don't know, we've only just got here.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 12:46 am
Just Joined

mr-vmware is an unknown quantity at this point

JAJ, apologies, I found the relevant thread on OZ education..
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=656798
Thanks.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:36 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

"Rest of the world turns to custard" Is NZ is somehow immune to the problems that the rest of the world gets to grips with?

Its very isolation is a double edged sword - one major hurricane, a large magnitude earthquake in Wellington, an eruption at Taupo ....the country doesn't have the collective resources to look after its own, could it afford to buy-in help, how long before it arrives and how well would the economy recover afterwards?

A NZ-wide outbreak of foot and mouth, a long term drought in the South Island are both as probable as the rest of the world turning to custard I would've thought. What sort of effect would these have on the NZ economy?
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:05 am
You call that a moustache

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

"Rest of the world turns to custard" Is NZ is somehow immune to the problems that the rest of the world gets to grips with?

Its very isolation is a double edged sword - one major hurricane, a large magnitude earthquake in Wellington, an eruption at Taupo ....the country doesn't have the collective resources to look after its own, could it afford to buy-in help, how long before it arrives and how well would the economy recover afterwards?

A NZ-wide outbreak of foot and mouth, a long term drought in the South Island are both as probable as the rest of the world turning to custard I would've thought. What sort of effect would these have on the NZ economy?
An major eruption in Taupo or New Plymouth is unlikly to sink the country economicaly or kill many people. An eruption in Auckland (read the ARC disaster plan, its possible) or an major earthquake in Wellington or Christchurch might, but the biggest economic danger as you state would be farming related i.e. foot and mouth.

You shouldnt forget that even though NZ is remote there are at least 2 targets worth nuking in the case of WWIII type custard coming about and that militarily it can barely defend itself against a viking raiding party.

I have moved UK to OZ to NZ and back to OZ in the new year. NZ is a great advert for whats good about Australia, the country unfortunatly does lack ambition and is badly run.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:27 am

Ah yes but a major eruption in Taupo would probably release an ash cloud that would affect most of the country for weeks, if not months.

Loved the comment about the Vikings (doesn't have much defense against Japanese Tourists either)

Looking forward to seeing how Excercise Ruaumoko pans out.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 3:43 am

(p.s. anyone been able to find a copy of the review of 'Capital Quake 06'? wonder what happened to it? Find the missing link)

Last edited by Nerine; Dec 31st 2007 at 3:53 am.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 4:13 am

ex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond reputeex_exile has a reputation beyond repute

(p.s. anyone been able to find a copy of the review of 'Capital Quake 06'? wonder what happened to it? Find the missing link)
http://www.gw.govt.nz/council-report...2_1_Report.pdf

On the face of it a typical bland goventment report but read between the lines and it seems not to have gone to well.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Probably a good time to buy a house or lifestyle block. One persons loss is another persons gain. I suppose I could always extend my stay in Australia if some of those scenarios occurred.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by ex_exile
http://www.gw.govt.nz/council-report...2_1_Report.pdf

On the face of it a typical bland goventment report but read between the lines and it seems not to have gone to well.
I think you're right, and this still isn't the final report: the document says that's still with the government .....

"A report of the exercise was completed by the Kestrel Group and it is currently awaiting final approval from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet"

Wonder what sort of spin will be put on that if and when it finally sees the light of day

Two things that jumped out at me were:
  • all organisations with key reponse roles should have seismic performance tests done on their own structures (they haven't done that already?!!)
  • and review the adequacy of their emergency power, water and sanitation arrangements for prolonged response activation.
And this is the nation's capital city and seat of government.

Last edited by Nerine; Dec 31st 2007 at 6:39 am.
Old Dec 31st 2007, 9:47 am

I think you're right, and this still isn't the final report: the document says that's still with the government .....

"A report of the exercise was completed by the Kestrel Group and it is currently awaiting final approval from the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet"

And this is the nation's capital city and seat of government.
DPMC in my job I have dealings with this bunch of jokers and trust me you really dont want to know what goes on.

I could tell you some things about the advice they chose to ignore (regarding emergency evacuation of Wellington) in order to try and sink Transmission Gully... but I'm not allowed to :curse:
Old Dec 31st 2007, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Originally Posted by derab
Ok.. with London and Auckland as the starting points, here goes.

Melbourne is almost as cosmopolitan as London with the Italian, Greek and Asian influences. But it doesn't have the inbuilt arrogance that either AKL or LON has. Melbournians know there is the rest of the country out there and take the rivalry with Sydney quite serious, striving to be better. the weather is more like London in that its drier than Auckland and more European in its feel.
The NZ parallels are probably Auckland is trying to be Sydney, Wellington is comparable to Melbourne and Christchurch is like Adelaide.

And seeing as its Auckland that you are in, i will agree with Geelong gent..
GET OUT QUICKLY
Thanks Derab, I like the idea that Melbourne is more cosmopolitan, as although I like Auckland (obviously one of the few :embaressed_smile: ), I do find it more like a large town which surprised me, as although I appreciate its not the capital, I thought it might have more to it.

Hopefully moving country more than once will just mean we know more what we're doing this time (or shouldn't be doing!). I do sometimes wonder though if I'll just end up adding to my wish list until its impossible to fulfil!

WithIce x

WithIce x
Old Jan 1st 2008, 12:04 am

That's interesting what you say about Auckland, I had that feeling too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.