UK to NZ to Oz to ???

UK to NZ to Oz to ???

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:05 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK to NZ to Oz to ???

They have the same in NZ too.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

bjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nicebjddavies is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
Isn't it just, it's one of the most dangerous road rules I've ever encountered.
I think it made sense in busy narrow city streets when a right turner would have held up traffic behind them if they waited to turn right.

Agreed I had a few near misses shortly after arriving in NZ and was getting used to the rule.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 4:32 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Originally Posted by Spellbound

Just out of interest, I have just got some quotes for removals firms this week (20ft container, pack and unpack) with the cheapest being $5500 and the dearest $9000, Auckland to Brisbane. I had heard $9500, so pleased about this, obviously its worth looking around.

Debbie
Thanks for the quote info. Just hope I can slim down all my stuff again, no matter how much I throw out, I still seem to have more from the last time I moved. And its usually kiddie toys - well this time there is going to be a big Trade Me clear out. Half the stuff I unpacked last time just made me wonder why I'd bought it half way round the world, and paid for the privilege.

Originally Posted by Spellbound
Oh just thought of another positive - not having to change plugs!
Yes that would be a positive, but a couple of years on and we're still fiddling about with adaptors!

WithIce x
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

WithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really niceWithIce is just really nice

Just done a quick trip over to Melbourne, so I thought I'd post a link here of my reccie report for those interested!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=525927

WithIce x
Old Apr 1st 2008, 1:31 am

Great report, it's been a while since I've been to Melbourne, we enjoyed it too.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Nerine! It sure felt a lot different coming from NZ, than trying to do it from the UK.

I was thinking even if we didn't move chances are the kids would be straight over to OZ for University, as its just got much more of a 'buzz' to it.

How long have you been in OZ? Are you settling OK?

While waiting for our flight we got chatting to quite a few people and all of them had Kiwi/OZ connections it just goes to show how much people move back and forth between the two countries. A lot of them lived in one and were visiting relatives in the other.

It seems expensive to fly to NZ to OZ but an Aussie I was talking to said they often had specials to fly OZ to NZ, as they try to fill up spaces on the international flights that fly via NZ to LA.

WithIce x
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 1:17 am

Yes, far more of a buzz and so much more vibrancy, but it's also possible to switch between that and a more laid back lifestyle so easily - so much to choose from even within an area such as the Gold Coast .

Even if you decide that Melbourne isn't for you there are so many other cities and towns to choose from that sooner or later you'll find a place that fits.

Life here is definitely a lot less stressful than it was in NZ - probably because there's more space and you haven't got everyone crammed into small urban areas all trying to carve out a niche for themselves.

I've been here since end of Nov last year and the kids started school at the end of Jan. We've settled and found our feet very quickly, it was more like moving towns than moving countries.

Now that I've left and can look back on our time in NZ and see it in more dispassionately there's nothing in New Zealand that Australia doesn't also offer and very often does better, it's not surprising that so many Kiwis live here. I wish we'd done it 3 years ago and not wasted so much time, effort and money on living in NZ.

Keep us posted with how you get on .
Old Apr 6th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

Glad to hear its going so well!

I've lived in Brissie before and had a good time but it wouldn't suit the OH because of the humidity. But I do like the idea that once we're there we will be able to access all that OZ has to offer - hopefully there are lots of cheap internal flights!

WithIce x

PS Sorry for the late reply, put the computer keeps going on the fritz - its doing my head in!
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:20 pm

Yeah, the humidity takes some getting used to and it gets worse the further north you go.
Old May 6th 2008, 1:41 am
Just Joined

RussellCRowe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by derab
I am a triple passport holder, Brit, kiwi and ozzie
if you get citizenship in NZ it is a walk in the park coming over here.

with the kids under 7 they will adapt pretty quickly, its once they have started high school it gets harder to uproot them.

Ok.. with London and Auckland as the starting points, here goes.

Melbourne is almost as cosmopolitan as London with the Italian, Greek and Asian influences. But it doesn't have the inbuilt arrogance that either AKL or LON has. Melbournians know there is the rest of the country out there and take the rivalry with Sydney quite serious, striving to be better. the weather is more like London in that its drier than Auckland and more European in its feel.
The NZ parallels are probably Auckland is trying to be Sydney, Wellington is comparable to Melbourne and Christchurch is like Adelaide.

And seeing as its Auckland that you are in, i will agree with Geelong gent..
GET OUT QUICKLY
i now agree that Auckland is not what floats my boat. I am about to move to Sydney. Akl tries hard to be a NZ sydney..but fails. At night the CBD is full of boy racers with exhausts big enough to stick a marrow in terrorrising the locals.Beaches not a patch on Ozzie ones.
Here is a list of my AKl positives:
Easy to get around by car( outside peak hours)
Easy parking
Free parking at beach
Tamaki Drive
The Harbour
Nice countryside

LOWS:
Boring night life
Low intellect and sense of humour of a large % of population
large numbers of non english speakers
Poor beaches
Terrible drivers
Poor weather.. too unstable and too wet. Damp in winter makes winter a real bind
Houses - poor quality..even 2 million dollar houses feel like they will fall down soon
Lack of excitement - one's highs are not very high, but the lows are not too low either...
No other cities worth the name in NZ.. all others are small to largish towns.
People very cliquey here... you have to know them for years before they let you in to their lives.opposite of Aus - I meet Aussies here all the time in pubs etc and they are the only ones who make an effort