Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Nursing Pension - Any Advice?

UK Nursing Pension - Any Advice?

Old Oct 25th 2006, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

MattnSue is on a distinguished road
Default UK Nursing Pension - Any Advice?

Any tips / experience re pension schemes? My OH has been with the UK NHS Pension scheme for c 10 years and is wondering what the best option may be a) leave it where it is and start a new one when in Melbourne b) t/fer to Aus Nursing Pension scheme if there is one c) go private. Any guidance gratefully received. Thx.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Discovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura aboutDiscovery has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: UK Nursing Pension - Any Advice?

Originally Posted by MattnSue
Any tips / experience re pension schemes? My OH has been with the UK NHS Pension scheme for c 10 years and is wondering what the best option may be a) leave it where it is and start a new one when in Melbourne b) t/fer to Aus Nursing Pension scheme if there is one c) go private. Any guidance gratefully received. Thx.

As a Pensions Consultant I have advised my OH who is a Nurse to leave her pension benefits preserved in the NHS Pension Scheme. You should get your OH to seek independent financial advice.
Old Oct 25th 2006, 11:51 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that benefits paid from an Australian supeannuation fund from 1 July 2007 will be tax free. This means 100% of the fund should be accessible on a free of tax basis at age 60.

Compare this with a fund left in the UK where capital received at retirement age and the required income/annuity stream are exposed to tax in Australia if you are tax resident in Australia at the time.

I appreciate that tax isn't the only factor to be considered, but the differences in the taxation of pension funds left in the UK and those transferred to Australia are so significant the "guarantee" offered by a UK final salary scheme has to be fairly significant for the fund to remain in the UK.

In short - take some professional advice that includes a consideration of the tax issues and your visa circumstances.

Best regards.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 6:33 am
Just Joined

Tracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud ofTracey B has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MattnSue
Hi
My hubby and I both had 20+ years in the NHS and got in touch with Prismxpat (www.prismxpat.com) They do all the legwork; get the current value of your pension for you and provide a detailed report. We have been advised to transfer to an Oz Superannuation fund rather than leave our money where it is. They do charge you for their work and charge a percentage of any money transferred over. Getting some financial advice would be a good move in the first instance.
Tracey B
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:00 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracey B
Hi
My hubby and I both had 20+ years in the NHS and got in touch with Prismxpat (www.prismxpat.com) They do all the legwork; get the current value of your pension for you and provide a detailed report. We have been advised to transfer to an Oz Superannuation fund rather than leave our money where it is. They do charge you for their work and charge a percentage of any money transferred over. Getting some financial advice would be a good move in the first instance.
Tracey B
Thanks for that Tracey
I've got nearly 20 years in the NHS and considering moving superann over.
Will give them a try!
Tracey
Old Oct 27th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

Keebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura aboutKeebs has a spectacular aura about

Nightmare, it's so confusing.

I have about 18yrs NHS pension, my wife has about 12yrs Police pension, we've been here nearly 1yr and our pensions are still in the UK as we just don't know what to do, so as we're in doubt leave it well alone where it is!

Since arriving here we both have started Super contributions with Hesta and QSuper, in fact we're salary sacificing both AND making additional contributions.

Keebs