Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Nursery Nurse working in Melbourne

UK Nursery Nurse working in Melbourne

Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

s2uallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Nursery Nurse working in Melbourne

This is my first post on here so please go gentle on me.

My wife and I are hoping to come over in May as I have now managed to secure a job. She is a qualified nursery nurse in the UK but we want to know if we need to do anything to validate her qualifications to work in Melbourne. Is there anyone out there who works in child care who can advise us on this?
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:55 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nursery Nurse working in Melbourne

Originally Posted by s2uallas

My wife and I are hoping to come over in May as I have now managed to secure a job. She is a qualified nursery nurse in the UK but we want to know if we need to do anything to validate her qualifications to work in Melbourne. Is there anyone out there who works in child care who can advise us on this?

firsty, welcome to British Expats!

secondly, when my sister in law went over there (she was a nursery nurse), her qualifications didnt stand for anything. might be wrong though (somebody will not doubt correct me), but, thats how it stood in NSW.

any further questions, just post them, somebody will know, or will know somebody else that does!
Old Mar 15th 2006, 4:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

leigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud ofleigh&ivan has much to be proud of

Welcome,

I'm quite new to BE too, but am very addicted to reading threads.
I remember a thread not so long ago that gives some info on NVQ 3 & NNEB qualifications being recognised in Oz.

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=357268

Hope this helps
Leigh

Last edited by leigh&ivan; Mar 15th 2006 at 4:46 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 5:51 pm
Never going back

Sleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond reputeSleeping Beauty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leigh&ivan
Welcome,

I'm quite new to BE too, but am very addicted to reading threads.
I remember a thread not so long ago that gives some info on NVQ 3 & NNEB qualifications being recognised in Oz.

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=357268

Hope this helps
Leigh
thats why my S-I-L had a problem. she has pre 1993 NNEB, hence not recognised (according to the previous thread link).
Old Mar 15th 2006, 6:44 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you moving from? and what part of Melbourne are you looking to relocate to? We are arriving the first week of May.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks to be good news because her qualifications are post 1993.

We have only recently been offered a job so as of yet have no firm plans for where we will live. I originally wanted to be near to the CBD for work but this job allows me to work from home much of the time. Unsure where most of the nurseries are but assume that most areas will have one.

You mention that you are moving over in May, have you managed to get everything sorted yet?
Old Mar 16th 2006, 7:26 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone for the replies. Looks to be good news because her qualifications are post 1993.

We have only recently been offered a job so as of yet have no firm plans for where we will live. I originally wanted to be near to the CBD for work but this job allows me to work from home much of the time. Unsure where most of the nurseries are but assume that most areas will have one.

You mention that you are moving over in May, have you managed to get everything sorted yet?
We leave on the 27th of March and arrive 28th of April. Have a school place to start Jan 2007 in a private girls school (didnt realise that the local public schools are also fantastic, but our reason for relocating was for our daughter to attend this specific school). After a long wait and many phone calls have a placement in a nursery 3 days per week.

Have not bothered yet with job or rental - will do this when arrive. Have hotel for first 3 nights (to get over jet lag) then will move into short term apartments for first month. Have booked rental car for first 2 weeks (Avis) but hopefully will buy car in first couple of days.

There is alot we havent thought of but will go with the flow.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 10:30 am
MVFC

Carl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the roughCarl B is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
It was me that started the other thread about childcare qualifications, on behalf of my wife. Despite her qualifications being post-1993, the relevant authority are still insisting on an assessment, which includes details of coursework done and which we aint got with us. However, there is a website http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/Gazett...GG2004G024.pdf with a list of accepted qualifications and my wife's is on it. Will let you know the result.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Carl B
Hi,
It was me that started the other thread about childcare qualifications, on behalf of my wife. Despite her qualifications being post-1993, the relevant authority are still insisting on an assessment, which includes details of coursework done and which we aint got with us. However, there is a website http://www.gazette.vic.gov.au/Gazett...GG2004G024.pdf with a list of accepted qualifications and my wife's is on it. Will let you know the result.
Good to speak to someone else with the same issues. We are not yet over in Australia and just trying to line things up. How long have you been working through this? Has your wife been looking for a job and what is the market like for Nursery positions? Hope you have success with the assessment and look forward to your reply.
Old Mar 16th 2006, 8:28 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Carl

Everybody gets assessed even if it is on the gov't list.

My wife because she is pre-93 and getting on a bit sent:

letter from Cache in UK,
CV,
Copies of certs: NNEB diploma plus copies of certs from courses with LEA.

The copies were certified by the local cop-shop. On her CV she noted two refs, both heads of primary schools. The refs were there to give a nice warm feeling to the CV.

The end result is you get a letter saying you are assessed as a qualified childcare worker under the Act. Note, they expect a lot from qualifieds. Wife reckons her role is not far off a tots teacher in UK as she has to do the planning and manage the unqualifieds.

For an easy life do agency work. Loads of jobs, work when you want. No planning to do.

I never thought I would become so knowledgeable on nursery nurses et al.

Ian