Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

UK Nurse planning move to Oz.

UK Nurse planning move to Oz.

Old Jan 11th 2013, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

blueblackstar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Nurse planning move to Oz.

Sorry if this is a repeat of another thread. I've tried searching a few times and found nothing specific.

I feel I have hundreds of questions and nowhere to ask them, so joind here and hoped someone could help!

We are a family of 4 living just outside Manchester, I am an RN trained for just over 4 years. I have had a permanent job for the last 4+ yrs in ENT and have just accepted a job in womens health (surgical) which is only a 12 month contract (but may lead to a permanent job) I also work additional shifts with the NHSProfessionals agency.

I hope to register with ANMC and do my IELTS tests before we plan a visit out to Western Australia sometime in 2014, that way I can apply as soon as we get home if we fall in love with Oz (which I believe we will!).

I am unsure as to whether we would be best to sell our current home or rent it out for 12months and then sell, just in case the grass doesn't turn out to be greener. We have a (newish) car that would yield about £8000-£1000 which I'd be happy to sell to fund the move, although I do not know how much money we have to have in the bank to be allowed in!

I have no doubt that WA will offer us as a family and especially our two boys (currently 8 & 2) a better life. One worry is that our eldest child has epilepsy for which he is currently on medication. Whilst his consultant has led us to believe he may grow out of it, we cannot assume this will be the case. Thankfully it doesn't, currently, affect him in any major way other than having to take meds twice a day.

How is nursing in Australia different to the UK? I saw a hospital on TV yesterday and was overwhelmed by the technology, ergonomics and size.

There are a million other questions too but I can't get them organised in my head so I'll shut up now & await answers! Thanks for listening x
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Nurse planning move to Oz.

Hi

Have a look in the nursing forum on this site, do a search
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forum...sprune=-1&f=72

This question comes up a lot
There are differences in nursing practice and like anything, some things are better, some not so
If you have any more specific questions about nursing, ask them in the nursing forum and I'm sure you will get some good responses
Old Jan 11th 2013, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Kitty4 Thank you!! Doi, I didn't realise this section was available! I need a lesson on forums too I think!

Old Jan 12th 2013, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

katjo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Im going over to Brisbane in May for a year. Im also a nurse and from manchester so more than happy to help in any way.

Ive sent off for my registration and if you can get a letter from your high school stating you were taught and assessed in the english language for 5 years you dont need to do the IELTS.

The registration form is long and tedious and you need to get alot of additional 'evidence' which then has to be certified.

Id be more than happy to help with it if you need it.
Old Jan 12th 2013, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Katie

Thanks for the info. Sadly my high school closed down last year so that's not an option!! I'm currently looking at regional/state sponsorship & plan to attend an expo at manchester central in March for more info. The form for nursing registration looks daunting but once I've printed it off & had a good look I'm sure it'll be fine. I have a transcript from university as we had always hoped to move to the US!!

My initial plan is to get my IELTS and apply for my nursing registration then see how much we can save!!

Where have you been working? Feel free to PM me. Any help would be gratefully recieved. Are you going and planning your trip to only be temporary or hope to fall in love with Oz and extend your stay?

Thanks for listening to my rambling!!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

katjo84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm going on a working holiday visa with the hope of finding a sponsor when I get there. I work for a private family planning clinic at the mo and they have clinics out there so there is potential to get work with them. I also want to use the first year to do as much travelling as possible.
As far as I know if you get a sponsor they don't look at how much money is in your account as you will have a job to go to.
I went to an expo in Manchester last year and found it very helpful, especially talking to a migration expert. I also opened up an Australian bank account so have been transferring as much as I can each month.
I know at the expo, WA health were there and signing people up that day!
Old Jan 13th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

You will need your skills assessed by ANMC but also need to register with AHPRA to work in Australia. They have centralised registration now so,it covers you for working countrywide x
http://www.ahpra.gov.au/
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Mainy1129 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katjo84

Ive sent off for my registration and if you can get a letter from your high school stating you were taught and assessed in the english language for 5 years you dont need to do the IELTS.

T.
Hi, who did you speak with at AMNAC to confirm that you could get the High school letter instead of IELTS, my husband doesnt need IELTS as he educated in UK but Nursing seems so strict even though Im born and educated in Uk and have higher qualifications than hubby, if I can skip IELTS this would make process quicker