British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   UK Nova forced to shut down? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/uk-nova-forced-shut-down-769572/)

Evelin Aug 26th 2012 10:41 pm

UK Nova forced to shut down?

at least that's how it looks like this morning

herrchook Aug 27th 2012 12:32 am

Re: UK Nova forced to shut down?

Originally Posted by Evelin (Post 10247815)

I saw that too :ohmy: Where to now for UK TV? I use Torrent Day as well but they were never as good as UKNOVA. What other sites etc are you folks using?

Amazulu Aug 27th 2012 12:56 am

It seems you're right. There is still thebox, but it will be interesting to see how long they last.

Nearly all of UKNova content is available elsewhere.

GarryP Aug 27th 2012 1:03 am

Apparently they got a C&D letter, and in the current climate they decided to shut up shop rather than getting screwed over by the legal system.

Snave Aug 27th 2012 1:12 am

Nooooo............

renth Aug 27th 2012 1:57 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10247967)
It seems you're right. There is still thebox, but it will be interesting to see how long they last.

Nearly all of UKNova content is available elsewhere.

Shame, you're tight about thebox, it will be next.

I'm planning on getting a UK Bluray player for the iPlayer integration.

Zen10 Aug 27th 2012 2:07 am

Do not care... totally gone native now... watch only AFL and 15 year-old antiques roadshows.... do not care... best tv in world right here in Australia... now going to watch cutting edge 1967 sitcom Green Acres....

Amazulu Aug 27th 2012 2:37 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10248001)
Shame, you're tight about thebox, it will be next.

I'm planning on getting a UK Bluray player for the iPlayer integration.

It depends where they are based. Is UKNova based in the UK?

I'm going to do the same as you and get US and UK models of the WDTV.

renth Aug 27th 2012 2:41 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10248032)
It depends where they are based. Is UKNova based in the UK?

I'm going to do the same as you and get US and UK models of the WDTV.

Zulu, check the latest threads on Whirlpool because it looks like the latest Firmware of the WDTV Live determines its location via the IP address and not any kind of hardware geolocation, so things have changed, basically.

One of mine is still playing Netflix and Hulu because I've not updated to the latest firmware. The other one is still in its box because I'm having a hard time finding a particular 60 inch Panasonic plasma I want to plug it in to.

GarryP Aug 27th 2012 2:52 am

You might find this useful : http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...-raspberry-pi/

Of course you still need the VPN, but the advantage of this approach is you can watch on smartphone or tablet.

Amazulu Aug 27th 2012 2:54 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10248039)
You might find this useful : http://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/ind...-raspberry-pi/

Of course you still need the VPN, but the advantage of this approach is you can watch on smartphone or tablet.

Interesting. My first Raspberry Pi is on its way.

Amazulu Aug 27th 2012 2:55 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10248034)
Zulu, check the latest threads on Whirlpool because it looks like the latest Firmware of the WDTV Live determines its location via the IP address and not any kind of hardware geolocation, so things have changed, basically.

One of mine is still playing Netflix and Hulu because I've not updated to the latest firmware. The other one is still in its box because I'm having a hard time finding a particular 60 inch Panasonic plasma I want to plug it in to.

Do you know how to get a VPN to run on a WDTV?

DeadVim Aug 27th 2012 2:58 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10248039)

Cool, my kind of geekery :thumbup:

GarryP Aug 27th 2012 3:14 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 10248046)
Cool, my kind of geekery :thumbup:

The thing that interests me is it already runs xbmc on top of debian, HW accelerated, can accept CEC remote controls, or app based control, and is likely to have PVR functionality soon. Add in download and serving of iplayer and its getting pretty close to a full solution - with a power consumption of about 2.4W, low enough to be left on.

irishbloo Aug 27th 2012 3:24 am

Nb must be devastated this morning.:eek:

renth Aug 27th 2012 3:28 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10248043)
Do you know how to get a VPN to run on a WDTV?

unblock-us - not a VPN but a domain name redirection. You can apply it on the WDTV itself, not the whole network, it's quicker than a VPN. Their service also works for iPlayer too.

http://unblock-us.com/

Dreamy Aug 27th 2012 3:33 am

Originally Posted by irishbloo (Post 10248072)
Nb must be devastated this morning.:eek:

I'm sure she has membership of thebox too - if not, she can pm me :)

I've just had a look at the forums on there - they seem to believe that thebox is made of sterner stuff (and isn't based in the US)

Who knows?

The kids will be devastated if they have to wait for Doctor Who :D

northernbird Aug 27th 2012 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Dreamy (Post 10248079)
I'm sure she has membership of thebox too - if not, she can pm me :)

I've just had a look at the forums on there - they seem to believe that thebox is made of sterner stuff (and isn't based in the US)

Who knows?

The kids will be devastated if they have to wait for Doctor Who :D

You are correct, I get most of my stuff from the Box. Not sure what I will do if it all goes tits up. Will have to pay to do that proxy thingy so I can do the iPlayer thing. It's taken me years to get used to the torrent downloading, I am not a techy so might struggle if the Box disappears.

JAMFC Aug 27th 2012 11:40 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10248063)
The thing that interests me is it already runs xbmc on top of debian, HW accelerated, can accept CEC remote controls, or app based control, and is likely to have PVR functionality soon. Add in download and serving of iplayer and its getting pretty close to a full solution - with a power consumption of about 2.4W, low enough to be left on.

I'm sure that is written in English, but I have no idea what it means!!

GarryP Aug 27th 2012 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by JAMFC (Post 10248566)
I'm sure that is written in English, but I have no idea what it means!!

Which is kind of why apple does a roaring trade and claims 'innovations' that have been available for years ....
xbmc = free media centre solution, allowing you to play music, movies, TV etc on a wide variety of hardware
debian = a free distribution of Linux (an Operating System) which tends to get used as a basis for lots of products. There will be a number of products using Debian in your house already.
HW accelerated = hardware accelerated rendering of video, etc. so that a relatively low powered processor can deliver good performance via incorporating targeted hardware capabilities
CEC remote controls = remote control signals from your telly get set via the HDMI cable to connected devices (eg players) If the player understands them, then it can be controlled from the TV remote.
app based control = xbmc has an android or iphone remote control app, so you can use smartphone or tablet to control it.
PVR functionality = video recorder
iplayer = you know what this is. the get_iplayer code allows Linux boxes to download and store the video files, getting round the failure of the Beeb to support Linux, and the 7 day limit on display, and the buffering issues
power consumption of about 2.4W = anything you leave on 24/7 is going to be an issue with your power bill. Cutting the consumption from that of a full PC to this level means you could power it for a year for less than $5
which is why there is a specific set of words and phrases for those that can, technically, to talk to one another - it would get very slow if you spoke in noddy language all the time.

It's also why it more sensible to learn this than, say, french. If you learn french you can only speak to a frenchman. If you learn this, you can not only talk to technical experts around the world, you talk the language of machines and making them do what you want.

Smudger82 Aug 27th 2012 11:58 pm

How about using an iPad to watch UK iPlayer? Anyone know any good, cheap, VPNs?

We have Apple TV, so in theory should be able to stream iPlayer to our widescreen from the iPad.

Anyone done this successfully? :confused:

Amazulu Aug 28th 2012 2:41 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 10248074)
unblock-us - not a VPN but a domain name redirection. You can apply it on the WDTV itself, not the whole network, it's quicker than a VPN. Their service also works for iPlayer too.

http://unblock-us.com/

Did a lot of research on this last night and came up with this dual gateway setup:
Main router for local internet and general wifi
2nd router with inbuilt VPN, connected to a LAN port on main router, for connection to WDTV live, PS3, HTPC etc to access iplayer, Hulu, torrent sites etc.
Essentially 2 wifi networks, one normal, 1 VPN off 1 internet connection.

GarryP Aug 28th 2012 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Amazulu (Post 10249796)
Essentially 2 wifi networks, one normal, 1 VPN off 1 internet connection.

Are you running two different DHCP zones? Have you disabled the firewall on the second router ?

Amazulu Aug 28th 2012 3:02 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10249799)
Are you running two different DHCP zones? Have you disabled the firewall on the second router ?

I haven't done anything, just thinking of ideas at the moment. I saw some info last night that this kind of setup is possible.

JoeBloggs80 Aug 28th 2012 4:15 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10247971)
Apparently they got a C&D letter, and in the current climate they decided to shut up shop rather than getting screwed over by the legal system.

Imagine getting busted for copyright infringement :ohmy:The injustice!

JAMFC Aug 28th 2012 8:17 am

Originally Posted by GarryP (Post 10249465)
Which is kind of why apple does a roaring trade and claims 'innovations' that have been available for years ....
xbmc = free media centre solution, allowing you to play music, movies, TV etc on a wide variety of hardware
debian = a free distribution of Linux (an Operating System) which tends to get used as a basis for lots of products. There will be a number of products using Debian in your house already.
HW accelerated = hardware accelerated rendering of video, etc. so that a relatively low powered processor can deliver good performance via incorporating targeted hardware capabilities
CEC remote controls = remote control signals from your telly get set via the HDMI cable to connected devices (eg players) If the player understands them, then it can be controlled from the TV remote.
app based control = xbmc has an android or iphone remote control app, so you can use smartphone or tablet to control it.
PVR functionality = video recorder
iplayer = you know what this is. the get_iplayer code allows Linux boxes to download and store the video files, getting round the failure of the Beeb to support Linux, and the 7 day limit on display, and the buffering issues
power consumption of about 2.4W = anything you leave on 24/7 is going to be an issue with your power bill. Cutting the consumption from that of a full PC to this level means you could power it for a year for less than $5
which is why there is a specific set of words and phrases for those that can, technically, to talk to one another - it would get very slow if you spoke in noddy language all the time.

It's also why it more sensible to learn this than, say, french. If you learn french you can only speak to a frenchman. If you learn this, you can not only talk to technical experts around the world, you talk the language of machines and making them do what you want.

Thank you GarryP, now you will need to come to my house to set everything up ;)
I only own a laptop, a TV and a DVD player. I do have a mobile, but it's not a smartphone - very old school I'm afraid!

earlybird Oct 6th 2012 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Smudger82 (Post 10249606)
How about using an iPad to watch UK iPlayer? Anyone know any good, cheap, VPNs?

We have Apple TV, so in theory should be able to stream iPlayer to our widescreen from the iPad.

Anyone done this successfully? :confused:

You can use the unblock-us mentioned here. You have to make sure that you have the UK iPlayer not the global one and this can only be obtained from the UK iTunes store with a UK ID. You can also set-up your AppleTV using unblock-us. All instructions are on their page.
If you have an iPad 2 or later then you can Airplay mirror as the player itself doesn't have the airplay icon. I have the original iPad so I have to double click the home button then slide the icons across until I can see the airplay icon. Neither the 4oD or ITV players support airplay so you will have to mirror these if you have one of the later iPads. Hope this makes sense.

derab Oct 6th 2012 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JoeBloggs80 (Post 10249872)
Imagine getting busted for copyright infringement :ohmy:The injustice!

I really dread the day I get a copyright infringement notice on my "Desert Island discs" recording :eek: